Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
hi guys, super chuffed to have picked up my first running trophy this week. I ended up coming 2nd Overall Men's Vet 40 in the Herts Midweek 10k League, over 4 mixed-terrain roughly 10k races in different locations, in the last 8 weeks or so.

I was running for Watford Joggers and knew the club had come 1st place Overall, 1st place Men's and 1st place Men's Vet 40's in the league's team categories and the club got promoted from Div. 2 to Div. 1 for next year's league but I didn't realise there were individual podium places (I missed the trophy presentations!) so it was a really nice surprise.

Harpenden - 35:59 (Placed 7th / 2nd Vet 40)
Harlow - 36:15 (Placed 12th / 5th Vet 40)
Watford - 37:08 (Placed 10th / 3rd Vet 40)
Stevenage - 36:46 (Placed 18th / 6th Vet 40)

View attachment 112836

Brilliant [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Anyone doing the Beat the Tide 10k in Worthing on Sunday ? I’m not running but will be knocking about at registration etc helping out.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
hi guys, super chuffed to have picked up my first running trophy this week. I ended up coming 2nd Overall Men's Vet 40 in the Herts Midweek 10k League, over 4 mixed-terrain roughly 10k races in different locations, in the last 8 weeks or so.

I was running for Watford Joggers and knew the club had come 1st place Overall, 1st place Men's and 1st place Men's Vet 40's in the league's team categories and the club got promoted from Div. 2 to Div. 1 for next year's league but I didn't realise there were individual podium places (I missed the trophy presentations!) so it was a really nice surprise.

Harpenden - 35:59 (Placed 7th / 2nd Vet 40)
Harlow - 36:15 (Placed 12th / 5th Vet 40)
Watford - 37:08 (Placed 10th / 3rd Vet 40)
Stevenage - 36:46 (Placed 18th / 6th Vet 40)

View attachment 112836

Great work and a lovely bit of bling!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brilliant [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Anyone doing the Beat the Tide 10k in Worthing on Sunday ? I’m not running but will be knocking about at registration etc helping out.

Was thinking about running it, but poorly FIL means I'll probably be Daddy Daycare (or evening care). But we'll see...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Killerton parkrun this morning - near Exeter - what a stunning course probably moves about Fountains Abbey as favourite one I’ve run. National Trust property and run through fields, woods and farmland - and best of all you finish about 50m lower than where you start! If you’re in Devon give this one a go.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, I am annoyed with myself today. I got up nice and early, got out to Peacehaven with about 20 minutes to spare but there's a festival on, so the parkrun is cancelled. Usually, all the other parkrun locally share the posts on Facebook, etc, so everyone knows but I missed it. Didn't think to check, what are the chances of it being cancelled?! Annoying. But even more annoying, I made the decision to get along to East Brighton rather than Seaford. I didn't have my phone on me to check the relevant distance, Seaford was 2 miles closer so I would have made the start. I missed the start of East Brighton by about 5 minutes and I didn't know the course, so I just watched before getting along to work to drop my stuff and heading out to do the Preston Park course instead. Frustrating end to my consecutive parkruns but there you go. 25 miles on the bike, including the first hour covering exactly 16 miles, and 5.75 mile run including the warm up and down from Preston Park. Pretty sure I saw [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] running East Brighton, first 5 at the time I believe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, I am annoyed with myself today. I got up nice and early, got out to Peacehaven with about 20 minutes to spare but there's a festival on, so the parkrun is cancelled. Usually, all the other parkrun locally share the posts on Facebook, etc, so everyone knows but I missed it. Didn't think to check, what are the chances of it being cancelled?! Annoying. But even more annoying, I made the decision to get along to East Brighton rather than Seaford. I didn't have my phone on me to check the relevant distance, Seaford was 2 miles closer so I would have made the start. I missed the start of East Brighton by about 5 minutes and I didn't know the course, so I just watched before getting along to work to drop my stuff and heading out to do the Preston Park course instead. Frustrating end to my consecutive parkruns but there you go. 25 miles on the bike, including the first hour covering exactly 16 miles, and 5.75 mile run including the warm up and down from Preston Park. Pretty sure I saw [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] running East Brighton, first 5 at the time I believe.

Textbook :lolol:

At least you got some exercise unlike [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] last week when he forgot about Paddle Round the Pier :wink:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Killerton parkrun this morning - near Exeter - what a stunning course probably moves about Fountains Abbey as favourite one I’ve run. National Trust property and run through fields, woods and farmland - and best of all you finish about 50m lower than where you start! If you’re in Devon give this one a go.

That's a bit of a coincidence. I was down there last week and thought about doing Killerton (I'm looking for a 'K' for my parkrun alphabet - sad but true). It was a bit out of my way so I chose Seaton instead - and then regretted it as it looked lovely and Ks are hard to find.

But lo and behold! There's a Kingdom Park parkrun. It's near Tunbridge Wells, it's lovely and it's bloody hard (3 x a hilly lap). So did it today: 23.37 but just good enough for a category win and just scraped me into the 70% region (70.36%). As a bonus Kelly Holmes (she gets everywhere) turned up too.

So if anyone is looking for a scenic run a bit closer to home than Devon, this one is recommended. Just don't turn up looking for a PB, that's all.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

You did. My god it was hard work. Beaten in the final 500m by a fellow Albion fan. Did you run it?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
4 miles July, 25 miles June, 30 miles May and just the marathon and Adur20 in April.

Finally paid the price for lack of training with a hard 23:42 at the Prom. Went for slow tempo 7:49, 7:45, 7:25 and a sub 6:00 run in.

Time to add some 8:30s into training and build up mileage.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
4 miles July, 25 miles June, 30 miles May and just the marathon and Adur20 in April.

Finally paid the price for lack of training with a hard 23:42 at the Prom. Went for slow tempo 7:49, 7:45, 7:25 and a sub 6:00 run in.

Time to add some 8:30s into training and build up mileage.

Wise plan Gaffer! :thumbsup: Definitely recommend dialling back the pace as you're coming back. I see a lot of runners working too hard, getting fixated on pace and struggling with consistency. Gradually building up frequency and volume with easy paced running will lead to big improvements safely, pace is really not important.

Pretty happy with a 17:29 at Cassiobury parkrun yesterday with 4 mile easy there and 4 miles easy back. Volume not there at the moment to get close to a PB but just happy getting out running in the sun. 10 miles this morning before the cricket starts. Said I would participate in a parent's football tournament at my boys' school this afternoon. Really don't need anyone steaming into me. I think I'm going to just stay wide :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wise plan Gaffer! :thumbsup: Definitely recommend dialling back the pace as you're coming back. I see a lot of runners working too hard, getting fixated on pace and struggling with consistency. Gradually building up frequency and volume with easy paced running will lead to big improvements safely, pace is really not important.

Pretty happy with a 17:29 at Cassiobury parkrun yesterday with 4 mile easy there and 4 miles easy back. Volume not there at the moment to get close to a PB but just happy getting out running in the sun. 10 miles this morning before the cricket starts. Said I would participate in a parent's football tournament at my boys' school this afternoon. Really don't need anyone steaming into me. I think I'm going to just stay wide :)

Nice time for an easy trot.

Got no races planned till a half marathon in October, so plenty of time to build up. No need to push my 5k until my 60th end of October for another try, probably in vain again, at GNT's AG and sit in silver behind your AG.

Best shoot from outside the box this afternoon to prevent being scythed down as you cut in. Bottom right or top left; you can do it.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Got no races planned till a half marathon in October, so plenty of time to build up. No need to push my 5k until my 60th end of October for another try, probably in vain again, at GNT's AG and sit in silver behind your AG.

Best shoot from outside the box this afternoon to prevent being scythed down as you cut in. Bottom right or top left; you can do it.

Fantastic Gaffer! A solid couple of months of consistent frequency and easy volume will do wonders to build endurance safely and you'll fly in the half marathon. I reckon you'll be in a great condition to then smash your 60th parkrun coming off the half marathon training.
The popular 80 / 20 weekly rule is a great guide. By all means sprinkle a little bit of speed work (20% or a parkrun) but I suggest keeping 80% each week nice and easy, with a long run as the one key quality workout each week.

I try to stay close to 80 / 20. 80-90% of my weekly running is easy aerobic, hovering around 8 minute mile'ing, so that I can give myself the best chance to run 4/5 times a week and increase my weekly volume safely. The volume will lead to getting faster, not speed work.

My boys are not going to understand it when they see me constantly running away from the ball! :lolol: At least I'll be proud to wear my Albion shirt amongst all the Spurs, Chelsea, Watford, Arsenal & West Ham supporting dads. :albion2:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Ah sorry just read this again [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. You're turning 60 in October? Brilliant!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
20 miles for me this weekend. Seven yesterday around a couple of prolonged stops for the loo and to talk to knocky on his bike (not at the same time). Then a half Marathon on the flat between Hove and the undercliff walk with miles 5-10 at steady (somewhere between 8:10 and 8:50).

Felt absolutely shattered after the first two miles this morning but was flying along effortlessly by the mid section. Now sitting with a coffee watching the cricket which I suspect will be swapped for something colder and hoppier later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You did. My god it was hard work. Beaten in the final 500m by a fellow Albion fan. Did you run it?

I like that it's fully on grass, I'm planning on getting down there next weekend. I didn't run it, I was too late to start - I would have done if I knew the course properly, but I've not done it yet so I didn't get involved. It was an odd experience watching a parkrun rather than competing. You planning on giving it another go next week?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I like that it's fully on grass, I'm planning on getting down there next weekend. I didn't run it, I was too late to start - I would have done if I knew the course properly, but I've not done it yet so I didn't get involved. It was an odd experience watching a parkrun rather than competing. You planning on giving it another go next week?

It’s pretty likely I’ll be running Park Run next weekend so I might aim to get to East Brighton. If conditions are completely perfect for a flat coastal run I might however get to Hove Prom for a PB attempt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here