Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Still hyper from yesterday. Haven't had a decent run since last May. Here is an insight as to how knocky's mind works.
I went in ready to race but at the start Caroline Wood laughingly said are you ready to battle Mark (her husband). Two things wrong there. I ran in the same House as Mark at school from 1971 and do not consider him a close competitor. Secondly she was dismissing me from being able to run near her. A Challenge! So of we set and I did not tuck in behind anyone but gave it 99.9%. Wind? What wind? End result stayed in front of Caroline for last 2 miles and pulled away in the run in. That hasn't happened since 2009. A very happy 4th in Arena men's AG race.

The moral of the story is please wind me up before a race......... or you could say don't race chicks who are tired from winning UK Masters 3000m at Lea Valley indoor track 6 days before. Oh and Mark came in 2 minutes behind.

Hove Prom.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still hyper from yesterday. Haven't had a decent run since last May. Here is an insight as to how knocky's mind works.
I went in ready to race but at the start Caroline Wood laughingly said are you ready to battle Mark (her husband). Two things wrong there. I ran in the same House as Mark at school from 1971 and do not consider him a close competitor. Secondly she was dismissing me from being able to run near her. A Challenge! So of we set and I did not tuck in behind anyone but gave it 99.9%. Wind? What wind? End result stayed in front of Caroline for last 2 miles and pulled away in the run in. That hasn't happened since 2009. A very happy 4th in Arena men's AG race.

The moral of the story is please wind me up before a race......... or you could say don't race chicks who are tired from winning UK Masters 3000m at Lea Valley indoor track 6 days before. Oh and Mark came in 2 minutes behind.

View attachment 106009

Outstanding [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Just back from 13m which was a bit of a grind after 18m yesterday. Reckon my pace will have disappeared after these last few weeks of long slow stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Much more positive long run this week.

Set off at a slower rate, had 2 bottles of water with SIS Hydro tablet in one and a Tailwind in the other, shot blocks and jelly sport beans. Not sure if it was the pacing or the fuel which made the difference but felt so much better the whole way around. Did just over 20 miles in the end, so feeling much more confident about attempting Brighton marathon again.

Good news!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The most comfortable 15 miler I've ever done today, ran in 7:39 average pace, the target was 7:40. There were 10 seconds between my quickest mile (7:35) and slowest (7:45), which was exactly what I wanted. I really felt comfortable throughout the whole run and I'll start to crank up the pace on the sunday long runs, 15 seconds per week quicker.

sunday run route.JPG

It did help that todays run was flatter than flat, but I could have run so much quicker so I'm pleased that I was a bit more considered in the pacing and didn't get competitive when the Run Brighton people were in sight. :blush:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just spotted [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] on the telly box after the penalties. Do I win a prize?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I now have a huge dilema. Manchester marathon or Wembley for the semi.

Can you defer Manchester? They run that every year, but it could be the last time in your lifetime that Brighton play an FA Cup semi final. I think the choice is clear. :thumbsup:

Thinking about it though - the game is likely to be on the saturday, based on the Champions League schedule. You can do both, no?

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Just spotted [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] on the telly box after the penalties. Do I win a prize?

I'll consider myself spotted, really should have got a hair cut!

Happy days, truly amazing afternoon!!

Did parkrun and a swift 13 miler yesterday evening, completely worth it now. Couple more long runs planned and that'll be it for BM training.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Decent day up on the downs - and back to enjoy the late drama in the football. Moyleman really is a great run and my 'Don't go off like a loon' strategy worked a treat. I was running far more in the final stages than I had done in previous years, but the hills are still testing.

Conditions much better than yesterday and MILES better than last year. Sub-5 done, great to see some familiar faces and a special St Patrick's Day point glass.

And an FA Cup Semi final - happy chuffing days [emoji23][emoji23]
3b791c3570824d11f8213b9d87d3a402.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Well I didn't quite achieve my first target of going under 18 minutes in the 5k, but I did get my second aim of a PB. I came in with a chip time of 18:05 and AG of 73.33% (according to one of the online calculators)

I'm pleased with a PB, especially as I didn't have the best preparations. I had a big brunch yesterday, then went out and had 4 beers and huge burger. So I was surprised how good I felt this morning.

Annoyingly I finished 4th in my age category, the same as I did for my 5k last year! They had a 30-39 category, if they'd had 35-39 I would have got top spot.

At least you don't need to change my position in the table [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
After spending 8 hours in a pub drinking yesterday a morning run was never really on the cards. It proved to be a good idea as around 10am I was being sick and last nights Hove Tandoori was being spewed violently down my toilet.

I decided to rehydrate watch the football and have a roast dinner then go out at 8pm. No real plan but felt buoyed by our FA Cup victory decided to head for the hills and ran up to the top of Ditching Road then back down to central Brighton. Having no plan was quite nice and I just ran based on traffic lights and how I felt. One of those evenings where it felt like I could run all night but decided to stop at 12.5 miles which is about right with Hastings coming up next week. c.1,000 foot climb too which again should serve me well as my understanding Hastings is hilly.

Some impressive distances this weekend with marathon training in full swing now. Well done [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for the Moyleman.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good drinking, Badge.
If you’re 34 our accepted Howard Grubb World Masters AG gives you 72.5%.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
After spending 8 hours in a pub drinking yesterday a morning run was never really on the cards. It proved to be a good idea as around 10am I was being sick and last nights Hove Tandoori was being spewed violently down my toilet.

I decided to rehydrate watch the football and have a roast dinner then go out at 8pm. No real plan but felt buoyed by our FA Cup victory decided to head for the hills and ran up to the top of Ditching Road then back down to central Brighton. Having no plan was quite nice and I just ran based on traffic lights and how I felt. One of those evenings where it felt like I could run all night but decided to stop at 12.5 miles which is about right with Hastings coming up next week. c.1,000 foot climb too which again should serve me well as my understanding Hastings is hilly.

Some impressive distances this weekend with marathon training in full swing now. Well done [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for the Moyleman.

Cheers fella. First half of Hastings is hilly, then it flattens out a bit, with a few little inclines as you make your way back down to the prom. Jealous of you lot doing it!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hadn't really looked into the Hastings course, but I'd presumed it would be pretty flat. No concerns though, I love a good hill in a race and Brighton Marathon's first half is tricky. I don't really think it would be wise to train purely on the flat of the promenade. My plan is to run 2 miles away from the start and then the 2 miles back so I'll run 17 miles in total, something as close to 7:30 per mile as possible. I need to try and time it to perfection so I don't miss the back of the field, or get stuck in transition from the pre-4miler and then the race itself. Something to look forward to on sunday!

Also looking forward to the quiz on wednesday, I'm hoping to emulate the Albion by not being in it at all, performing pretty tamely but ultimately getting the job done. :albion2:

7 mile recovery run done in 7:57 per, although the splits are nothing like the masterful splits of yesterday, just a 10 seconds difference between fastest and slowest miles yesterday but that'll be close to 1 minute gap today. Took in the racecourse valley, a splash of Bevendean and then a run along Lewes Road and culminating at the Level. I also bumped into a friend of mine from school who ran the Moyleman yesterday, she was out for a 4 mile recovery already! Madness, but she looked in remarkable condition - quite the change from the school days. :blush:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I hadn't really looked into the Hastings course, but I'd presumed it would be pretty flat. No concerns though, I love a good hill in a race and Brighton Marathon's first half is tricky. I don't really think it would be wise to train purely on the flat of the promenade. My plan is to run 2 miles away from the start and then the 2 miles back so I'll run 17 miles in total, something as close to 7:30 per mile as possible. I need to try and time it to perfection so I don't miss the back of the field, or get stuck in transition from the pre-4miler and then the race itself. Something to look forward to on sunday!
:

2016 was a NSC year at Hastings. @St Leonard's Seagull romped home first, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] ran a cracker to claim second and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and myself were close behind. Very happy with my time that day.
Here's the profile: https://www.strava.com/activities/522066223

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
What another fantastic weekend, I thought beating Palace last week would be the highlight of the season, but minutes 88-95 and then the penalties matched that yesterday!

I did my final long slow run on Saturday for a change, with the marathon just 4 weeks away I wanted to keep the pace sensible as I know so many people currently on the injury bench. I managed 21.45 miles in 3.48 , the weather wasnt ideal, the wind very blustery, especially through East Grinstead when I went from the Worth Way to the Forest Way. I did an out and back route so at 10.5 miles away from my car I had no option but to turn round and head home. I did it as a proper test run, pasta the night before, porridge in the morning and using 2 gels at 8 and 15 miles. I felt a little ragged at 13/15 as that was through EG again and the roads were very busy and the wind even gustier, but then got my second wind (gel assisted possibly) and at the end felt ok. I usually suffer from lactic acid after these runs, but not so much this time, but still made sure of plenty of stretching. I think the core training I am doing is making a big difference and I feel a lot stronger.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2216614994

Sunday I was out with mates from the village and knocked off 5.32 miles, the off road part was incredibly wet (swamp like was our description) but this was all about trying out the legs after a long run the day before. The first mile was a bit of a struggle and the big hill at 4 miles was tough but glad to get out. Luckily no running was required at the Den later on the afternoon!

Next weekend no running for me as in Montenegro for the England match, then the Sussex Trails AW20 on the 31st March. I hope to do that at my marathon pace, then 2 weeks to taper (with Wembley in the middle of that!)

Hopefully see some of you Wednesday for Knockys quiz for the Martlets at the Caxton, I still need some team mates as only 2 of us in my team and I will also be helping with the scoring!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What another fantastic weekend, I thought beating Palace last week would be the highlight of the season, but minutes 88-95 and then the penalties matched that yesterday!

I did my final long slow run on Saturday for a change, with the marathon just 4 weeks away I wanted to keep the pace sensible as I know so many people currently on the injury bench. I managed 21.45 miles in 3.48 , the weather wasnt ideal, the wind very blustery, especially through East Grinstead when I went from the Worth Way to the Forest Way. I did an out and back route so at 10.5 miles away from my car I had no option but to turn round and head home. I did it as a proper test run, pasta the night before, porridge in the morning and using 2 gels at 8 and 15 miles. I felt a little ragged at 13/15 as that was through EG again and the roads were very busy and the wind even gustier, but then got my second wind (gel assisted possibly) and at the end felt ok. I usually suffer from lactic acid after these runs, but not so much this time, but still made sure of plenty of stretching. I think the core training I am doing is making a big difference and I feel a lot stronger.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2216614994

Sunday I was out with mates from the village and knocked off 5.32 miles, the off road part was incredibly wet (swamp like was our description) but this was all about trying out the legs after a long run the day before. The first mile was a bit of a struggle and the big hill at 4 miles was tough but glad to get out. Luckily no running was required at the Den later on the afternoon!

Next weekend no running for me as in Montenegro for the England match, then the Sussex Trails AW20 on the 31st March. I hope to do that at my marathon pace, then 2 weeks to taper (with Wembley in the middle of that!)

Hopefully see some of you Wednesday for Knockys quiz for the Martlets at the Caxton, I still need some team mates as only 2 of us in my team and I will also be helping with the scoring!

Good running. That's over 80% of a marathon not 2/3! Lets have a quiz final check in for Wednesday. [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] Then we are paging [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for this Wednesday Anyone else interested to help [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]? I'm available to do a Glen Murray and switch to a rival team, if needed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
2016 was a NSC year at Hastings. @St Leonard's Seagull romped home first, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] ran a cracker to claim second and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and myself were close behind. Very happy with my time that day.
Here's the profile: https://www.strava.com/activities/522066223

I think my key focus for this sunday will be to not race the rest of you folks, especially [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. I think it'll help that it's going to be the final stages of my 17 miler in total - I'll have 4 miles in the tank before the kick off. But even so, if I feel as fresh during the run as I did yesterday, I'll get ideas above my station!

Immediately after the Brighton Marathon I'm off to America for 3 weeks, I'll need to maintain my fitness as much as possible so I can come back and then start targeting some races. I've got a bit more flexibility to enter more events now, I'm definitely looking at the Isle of Wight Half Marathon in August for one. I'm also playing a football tournament in Leicester in May/June time so I'll need to try and avoid injury during that before targeting running PBs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here