Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Haven’t done a 10k for at least 10 years.......

Good take that as a yes.

Time to start reminding people of The Weakest Link Relay. Keep Diaries free for 6.30pm Wednesday 19th June.

New format this year. Teams arranged 1-2 weeks before. Any non show let’s their team down. I can’t be ar**d to take the stress of re-arranging teams on the evening . Will list possible entrants early June and we’ll go from there...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good take that as a yes.

Time to start reminding people of The Weakest Link Relay. Keep Diaries free for 6.30pm Wednesday 19th June.

New format this year. Teams arranged 1-2 weeks before. Any non show let’s their team down. I can’t be ar**d to take the stress of re-arranging teams on the evening . Will list possible entrants early June and we’ll go from there...

LOL, take it how you want :D:laugh::laugh:

Can't make the weakest link sadly......again. Will be on holiday

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
It's basically a guaranteed spot then.

Yep I have my shorts on and read to go! No how idea how they control the numbers or as I do should everyone accept that its the luck of the draw. It would be interesting to see how many who get a place via the ballot fail to run.

I have been watching the debate about the treatement of the runners at the back of the field with interest - ie the 7.30 pacers were asked to leave the course as too slow when they were infact bang on time and finsihed 7.28. They were hassled by the clean up teams etc. It looks like the VLM organisers are looking at the complaints seriously ie contractor clean up team sprayed people with deturgent and water stations dismantled and timeing mats disconnected before these people had come through. I think they said some starters in the green start waiting nearly 1 1/2 hours before crossing the start line - the starting in waves appears to have gone wrong this year - was fine when I did it last year. One of my pictures of the clean up team on Tower Bridge has been used in the case as I took that at 2.33, they were not supposed to be there until 3pm and have denied they were - clearly a lie sadly. They accused the 7.30 pacing team of being behind time, forgetting that they obviously had GPS tracking on which shows where they were and at what time. Its left a sour taste in the mouth. I only got involved as one of my mates mate was one of the pace runners and really upset at the end.

I hope the events stays as a run for all and they dont have a much tighter finish time restriction.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great pathos. All I can suggest is physio, gym strengthening, limiting full on efforts, stop chasing people 40 years younger on a regular basis and a stannah stair chair.

Good luck![/QUOTE Cheers. Went into 'feeling sorry myself default mode'. But for practical purpose better to count me out for the old gits excursion on the Weakest Link gig. Stannah is on order.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good take that as a yes.

Available if selected for the Weakest Link.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great pathos. All I can suggest is physio, gym strengthening, limiting full on efforts, stop chasing people 40 years younger on a regular basis and a stannah stair chair.

Good luck!
Cheers. Went into 'feeling sorry myself default mode'. But for practical purpose better to count me out for the old gits excursion on the Weakest Link gig. Stannah is on order.

I'll keep you pencilled in for a team.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good take that as a yes.

Count me in, skipper!

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Good take that as a yes.

I'm available for this again and would be proud to be the weakest link for any given team :)

I'm doing the London to Brighton bike ride for the first time on the 16th and as a very keen non-cyclist I'm assuming my legs and arse will have recovered by the 19th!

Hope it's bloody warmer than it was last year too...

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Ohhhh not done this for a while, I am around on the 19th June. I need to go in the snail paced team please. Its three days before the midnight sun marathon in Tromso will be nice to go at a faster pace for a much much shorter distance!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep I have my shorts on and read to go! No how idea how they control the numbers or as I do should everyone accept that its the luck of the draw. It would be interesting to see how many who get a place via the ballot fail to run.

I have been watching the debate about the treatement of the runners at the back of the field with interest - ie the 7.30 pacers were asked to leave the course as too slow when they were infact bang on time and finsihed 7.28. They were hassled by the clean up teams etc. It looks like the VLM organisers are looking at the complaints seriously ie contractor clean up team sprayed people with deturgent and water stations dismantled and timeing mats disconnected before these people had come through. I think they said some starters in the green start waiting nearly 1 1/2 hours before crossing the start line - the starting in waves appears to have gone wrong this year - was fine when I did it last year. One of my pictures of the clean up team on Tower Bridge has been used in the case as I took that at 2.33, they were not supposed to be there until 3pm and have denied they were - clearly a lie sadly. They accused the 7.30 pacing team of being behind time, forgetting that they obviously had GPS tracking on which shows where they were and at what time. Its left a sour taste in the mouth. I only got involved as one of my mates mate was one of the pace runners and really upset at the end.

I hope the events stays as a run for all and they dont have a much tighter finish time restriction.

Who was asking runners to leave the course?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It’s not quite that simple IMO......

The race instructions are absolutely crystal clear - if you’re moving at slower than 7hr pace you will be essentially ‘timed out’ and not supported and need to move onto the pavements. The sweeper crew are supposed to move at that 7hr pace (so if you’re behind them you know you’re unsupported and should be off the road). However, anyone finishing before 8hrs still gets a finish time and a medal

Where VLM screwed up is :

-having a 7.30 pacer in the first place. If you’re going to do that then have full race support

-letting the sweeper crew start bang in 11am, whereas some of the entrants didn’t get over the start line until 11.10 or so (so they were behind the sweeper from the start)

-not briefing the (presumably contractors) that shouting obscenities and insults at people left on the course was unacceptable, or that spraying them with cleaning fluid was wrong

-taking down water stations after the 7hr effective pace time had passed.

They simply need to align the final finish time, pacers etc so it’s all the same, nor have the confusion in the 7-8 hour window caused by having pacers that are essentially not within the effective race cut off. They also need to make sure the sweeper crew start after the last runners have crossed the start line.

Sure they’ll review and change things next year - it’s a shame they allowed this to happen because it’s overshadowed what is generally a remarkably slick operation (I’ve run it 7/8 times and it’s always been faultless from my perspective)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
-not briefing the (presumably contractors) that shouting obscenities and insults at people left on the course was unacceptable, or that spraying them with cleaning fluid was wrong

Do people need to be briefed to not insult runners nor spray them with detergent?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So, after a 9 week rest from parkrun activities - I got back on it this morning at Lancing. I mistimed it slightly and ran 20:09, which is not bad considering I've not run all week. Kind of glad to have it out of the way now and I'll be aiming to add a bit of pace over the coming weeks. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Crap parkrun from me on the Prom, started a bit fast (sub 20 pace), had to stop at about 2m with dry-retch issue then just jogged it out from there.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Gave Seaford a go this morning. Nice course - not a great time as suffering from a cold all week.

20 different parkruns clocked up now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Crap parkrun from me on the Prom, started a bit fast (sub 20 pace), had to stop at about 2m with dry-retch issue then just jogged it out from there.

Why can't you do that when I'm there?

Visited the distant Hove Park today and huffed and puffed around in 22:29ish behind Ben E's Brother and the Ironman. Losing fitness from not running due to achilles soreness, which improved as it warmed up. See how it goes.............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here