Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good luck GB!

I'm fed up with noone posting boring running talk. It's infectious and has even kept me quiet.

Are you heading down to a parkrun tomorrow to engage in boring running talk in real life?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The important question is will [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] be at Worthing parkrun tomorrow?

I didn't see him amongst the 400 present. Great to have the event back and to see familiar faces. The turnout was a bit lower than I expected especially as Lancing had to cancel. The start was a little chaotic - perhaps they are under instructions to get the whole thing underway without too much hanging around. Far more stuff going on on the prom than there used to be but still (let's be honest) a very fast track, even with a bit of an easterly.

Pleased with my 22.03, an old git category win and 7th (76.80%) in the overall age grade table, well beaten by Messrs Rix and Godden who appeared to have ding dong battle for 2nd place across the line going on, separated by a mere second.

Welcome back Parkrun!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I didn't see him amongst the 400 present. Great to have the event back and to see familiar faces. The turnout was a bit lower than I expected especially as Lancing had to cancel. The start was a little chaotic - perhaps they are under instructions to get the whole thing underway without too much hanging around. Far more stuff going on on the prom than there used to be but still (let's be honest) a very fast track, even with a bit of an easterly.

Pleased with my 22.03, an old git category win and 7th (76.80%) in the overall age grade table, well beaten by Messrs Rix and Godden who appeared to have ding dong battle for 2nd place across the line going on, separated by a mere second.

Welcome back Parkrun!

I had already checked that fine effort out! Now realise I have to get around 21:00 to better the AG maestro. Strong easterly wind must have made it a hard finish. Watched Hove Prom and it all was so spread out that I can now see that it could have started months ago. Great organisation.

Gave it a miss myself as conserving energy for my 1500m embarrassment on Monday at Lewes track.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I had already checked that fine effort out! Now realise I have to get around 21:00 to better the AG maestro. Strong easterly wind must have made it a hard finish. Watched Hove Prom and it all was so spread out that I can now see that it could have started months ago. Great organisation.

Gave it a miss myself as conserving energy for my 1500m embarrassment on Monday at Lewes track.

:wave:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The important question is will [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] be at Worthing parkrun tomorrow?

Sorry, only just seen this now.

The obvious answer is: no, as:

1) I didn't know Park Run was returning.
2) Even if I had known, I'm determined to retain my proud record of having never entered a single Park Run nor race.

Running with 400 other people sounds like my idea of hell, frankly, but I'm a weirdo introvert.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Well done to all those that made it to the return of parkrun this morning! :clap2:

10 weeks until the London Marathon (fingers crossed) for me. Starting to find some fitness returning after a month or so of gradually building up the base mileage post injury in April. It will soon be time to pick it up and go to work, incorporating some harder efforts, specific long runs, and quality workouts over the next 8 weeks.

With a bit of patience, trusting the process and staying healthy I'll be ready to give it my best. At least I'm going to have fun trying. :)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Welcome back Parkrun!

Good running. I didn’t set an alarm and didn’t wake up until 8am so decided to swerve and head to the track for 4 X 1 mile. Pretty hot out there, but got it done and averaged around 5:54 per mile, so pretty happy with that, especially as each one got slightly quicker.

I’ll be racing the Magic Mile at Preston Park Wednesday evening. Hoping to beat 5:30 but the Preston Park hill doesn’t make it easy.

Great to see Park Run back, I’m targeting 1 or 2 towards the end of August.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did a quick trawl around the Sussex Parkruns' results and no sign of Mr Gasson. Could be, like you, he's saving himself for the 1500m? (And if so, you are welcome to him!)

Whatever: good luck and race report is mandatory, of course.

Been on holiday in Exmoor. Not sure if he's coming back Monday. At least I can use him as a pacer if he turns up about 5 seconds behind him each lap.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good running. I didn’t set an alarm and didn’t wake up until 8am so decided to swerve and head to the track for 4 X 1 mile. Pretty hot out there, but got it done and averaged around 5:54 per mile, so pretty happy with that, especially as each one got slightly quicker.

I’ll be racing the Magic Mile at Preston Park Wednesday evening. Hoping to beat 5:30 but the Preston Park hill doesn’t make it easy.

Great to see Park Run back, I’m targeting 1 or 2 towards the end of August.

I forgot you must be packing a high AG now. I'm away Wednesday but will try and get back for the magic mile if I survive Monday.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
All good at Hove Park parkrun. About 230 runners so very manageable numbers. Everyone well behaved, observing social distancing and it never felt crowded. Good to see [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION] Elton’s Brother. 22:21 for me but like most people was not pushing too hard and it was bloody humid.
Up norf next week and looking forward to Fountains Abbey parkrun.

D

Deleted member 2719

I can rarely give out running advice on here, because of the experience that frequents this thread.

But on this occasion, I am fully qualified.

NEVER go running with a bad neck.

I hope this helps.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Three days of running after nearly two weeks off meant my legs were aching from the off this morning. Pushed on for a mediocre five miles, including a section on the beach where the dog ran wild and I barely managed a jog!

Still great to be back out and about.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had the first run out in spikes on Saturday. A mile in 5 intervals on Hove Lawns came in at 5:45 despite hobbling across the tarmac cross paths. Lost a few loose spikes so went to the Jog Shop today BE PREPARED the WEAKEST LINK RELAY may still happen at Black Rock with just a few days/weeks notice. Still planning on the Hove Lagoon one too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did a quick trawl around the Sussex Parkruns' results and no sign of Mr Gasson. Could be, like you, he's saving himself for the 1500m? (And if so, you are welcome to him!)

Whatever: good luck and race report is mandatory, of course.

Bit of a scare for the 1500m and the Medley 800m relay leg at Lewes when my calf pinged with cramp during Saturdays swim.
Really painful but got a cancellation with physio at 2pm yesterday. After manipulation and some neural flossing (which worked!) I was told I could try to run as long term damage was unlikely and the warm up would tell me if to go ahead or not

Got to the start line for the 1500m with the Gasson and 6 other oldies (50+ and 60+). Happy to see the machine as I could pace behind him. Ran at full effort and had nothing at the end to be mugged by the tail runner in the run in:down:. Around 5:42 and 75.4ish% which is not enough to beat your leading AG. So I either came last or second as only 3 over 60's and Paul Gasson (beat me by 50m) had been promoted to the over 50's.

The Medley Relay 200m,200m,400m and 800m was a mixed non scoring team and we managed second to last. Pleased with a 2:50ish 800m and winning most professional Arena baton change with Isobel Muir handing over.

All in all a fun evening and happy to run at 5:45 average mile pace just 10 days after a 51" Phoenix 10k and have no injury problem. Downside is that's the end of the season and that that sort of training is not going to be much use for a Standard Triathlon in 12 days time......

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bit of a scare for the 1500m and the Medley 800m relay leg at Lewes when my calf pinged with cramp during Saturdays swim.
Really painful but got a cancellation with physio at 2pm yesterday. After manipulation and some neural flossing (which worked!) I was told I could try to run as long term damage was unlikely and the warm up would tell me if to go ahead or not

Got to the start line for the 1500m with the Gasson and 6 other oldies (50+ and 60+). Happy to see the machine as I could pace behind him. Ran at full effort and had nothing at the end to be mugged by the tail runner in the run in:down:. Around 5:42 and 75.4ish% which is not enough to beat your leading AG. So I either came last or second as only 3 over 60's and Paul Gasson (beat me by 50m) had been promoted to the over 50's.

The Medley Relay 200m,200m,400m and 800m was a mixed non scoring team and we managed second to last. Pleased with a 2:50ish 800m and winning most professional Arena baton change with Isobel Muir handing over.

All in all a fun evening and happy to run at 5:45 average mile pace just 10 days after a 51" Phoenix 10k and have no injury problem. Downside is that's the end of the season and that that sort of training is not going to be much use for a Standard Triathlon in 12 days time......

Great stuff. A Lazarus-like comeback from the physio's bench. You are obviously very sharp at the middle distances. Luckily it won't come down to a sprint on Saturday as you should be (well) in front of me by then. But will it be minute?
I love the idea of the 'most professional baton change' award!
Talking of Ms Muir, she rocked up at the Worthing PR last Saturday. I was closing on her in the first half, with a tail wind, but couldn't close the gap. And then my time as an Izzie-stalker came in useful: I recalled that she hates running into the wind - and duly eased past her on the journey back into the breeze.

Let no-one accuse the NSC old gits of not taking our running seriously!

PS an utter shite attempt at a 10k yesterday. In perfect conditions I fancied myself for at least a sub 49 and possibly a sub 48. Faded badly on the final 2.5k and might have scraped a miserable 49.30 had my knee not tweaked with 0.5 to go.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here