Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So my training plan has a 20 miler tomorrow, then, 18, 12, race day.

Does that sound about right? 18 two weeks before sounds quite far!

Still not sure what pace I’m looking at. Have run 2 sub 4 hours but I’m not sure I’m up to that at the moment. Thinking of trying a 9:15-9:30/mile pace for the 20 tomorrow.

It depends on your training plan really. I do my longest run (c.21 miles) 3 weeks out and around 14 miles the next week. However, I know plenty of people who do a longer run 2 weeks out.

18 miles is fine if you're really cutting down your other runs during the week. Otherwise I'd suggest cutting it short.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
I'm trainign for going into the Navy, to get through I have to run 2.4K in under 12.42, last time i did it I did it in 11.11 which i was happy with. I did a 5k park run yesterday in 32 minutes and was pretty chuffed, after reading the last few posts on here I have realised I am dreadfully slow :lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Sounds like a solid training plan. Similar to me, although mine was slightly more spread out. I did a marathon last May, putting in a huge PB with 3:06. Then I had a little bit of a break before ramping up the training for a half marathon in October (big PB again), which took me straight into my training for Phoenix in February. I think the key is to be in good condition going into the start of your training.

I have a feeling [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] is going to be taking my crown in Manchester though.

No matter how I get on at Manchester [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] unless I'm mistaken, you've cemented your place as the first NSC'er to break 3 hours in the marathon! :bowdown:

Definitely agree it's important to take some time out between goal races to give your body a rest until you're ready to slowly build back up.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It depends on your training plan really. I do my longest run (c.21 miles) 3 weeks out and around 14 miles the next week. However, I know plenty of people who do a longer run 2 weeks out.

18 miles is fine if you're really cutting down your other runs during the week. Otherwise I'd suggest cutting it short.

I'm with you [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]. I'd suggest 14-15 miles, then 12, then race week.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Right that's done then, 21 miles in 3:08, and pretty decent energy at the end so reasonably happy with that. Although I know that pace would only mean a 3:55 marathon so a lil bit close for comfort if I want to do sub 4. Will be checking in for all your sub 4 tactics. I guess crowd etc is worth a good few seconds on your mile pace come race day. Quick question for Ninja E. So I'll plan to do a 10-13 miler next week, should that be done at a decent pace or is it more of a plod round to keep everything moving? Right now I am liking the sound of the latter!

Getting the train to Littlehampton was a good move, made it more interesting especially when i got lost around Angmering! It's surprisingly difficult to keep by the sea the whole way!

That's absolutely perfect timing really - 21 miles in that pace sets you up brilliantly. You naturally get more energy on a race day with the amazing crowd support. The other thing for you to be thinking about is being aware of the course - the first 12 miles are undulating, there are a couple of sharp climbs and then the associated downhills. You don't want to knacker yourself going up, and then speed up coming down - keep yourself as measured as you can be.

Running home from Littlehampton is a challenge I haven't attempted - did you Strava it? If you did, are you in the NSC group on there?

Sounds like a solid training plan. Similar to me, although mine was slightly more spread out. I did a marathon last May, putting in a huge PB with 3:06. Then I had a little bit of a break before ramping up the training for a half marathon in October (big PB again), which took me straight into my training for Phoenix in February. I think the key is to be in good condition going into the start of your training.

I have a feeling [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] is going to be taking my crown in Manchester though.

Hopefully I can follow a similar path, but I'm not going to be upset if I fail to measure up. One day, though. :thumbsup:

I didn't mean to write off [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] but now that I have, I'll double down on it. Your record will stand on the morning of the Brighton Marathon!

So my training plan has a 20 miler tomorrow, then, 18, 12, race day.

Does that sound about right? 18 two weeks before sounds quite far!

Still not sure what pace I’m looking at. Have run 2 sub 4 hours but I’m not sure I’m up to that at the moment. Thinking of trying a 9:15-9:30/mile pace for the 20 tomorrow.

Sounds right to me - 3 years ago I had shin splint issues after the Worthing Half and the only long run I managed between that (Mid-February) and the Marathon (mid-April) was a 17 miler the week before. I then ran a 3:59, which remains my slowest around Brighton but it was glorious! It really depends on individuals as well though - do what feels right to you. And if you're following a plan, trust the plan and the process. If, after the event, you feel that it didn't work for you - make a change for 2020. :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
That's absolutely perfect timing really - 21 miles in that pace sets you up brilliantly. You naturally get more energy on a race day with the amazing crowd support. The other thing for you to be thinking about is being aware of the course - the first 12 miles are undulating, there are a couple of sharp climbs and then the associated downhills. You don't want to knacker yourself going up, and then speed up coming down - keep yourself as measured as you can be.

Running home from Littlehampton is a challenge I haven't attempted - did you Strava it? If you did, are you in the NSC group on there?

Hopefully I can follow a similar path, but I'm not going to be upset if I fail to measure up. One day, though. :thumbsup:

I didn't mean to write off [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] but now that I have, I'll double down on it. Your record will stand on the morning of the Brighton Marathon!

Sounds right to me - 3 years ago I had shin splint issues after the Worthing Half and the only long run I managed between that (Mid-February) and the Marathon (mid-April) was a 17 miler the week before. I then ran a 3:59, which remains my slowest around Brighton but it was glorious! It really depends on individuals as well though - do what feels right to you. And if you're following a plan, trust the plan and the process. If, after the event, you feel that it didn't work for you - make a change for 2020. :thumbsup:

Nice one mate! It looks like you're approaching Brighton on great form! Really impressive focus and dialling into paces. Go get it! :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm trainign for going into the Navy, to get through I have to run 2.4K in under 12.42, last time i did it I did it in 11.11 which i was happy with. I did a 5k park run yesterday in 32 minutes and was pretty chuffed, after reading the last few posts on here I have realised I am dreadfully slow :lolol:

As parkrun posts each week, a 17 minute 5k is the same distance as a 50 minute 5k. :thumbsup: My first 5k run was over 32 minutes and it took me the better part of a year to post a sub 25 5k time. After the marathon cycle is out of the way, I'll try and get back to running 18odd minute parkruns again.

Good luck getting into the Navy, a very noble and honourable ambition.

Nice one mate! It looks like you're approaching Brighton on great form! Really impressive focus and dialling into paces. Go get it! :thumbsup:

All words at the moment - time to make it real! If you want to make yourself another target to be shot at with your Manchester time, bring it. :lolol: I'll be looking forward to your race report from that event.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
As parkrun posts each week, a 17 minute 5k is the same distance as a 50 minute 5k. [emoji106] My first 5k run was over 32 minutes and it took me the better part of a year to post a sub 25 5k time. After the marathon cycle is out of the way, I'll try and get back to running 18odd minute parkruns again.

Good luck getting into the Navy, a very noble and honourable ambition.

Cheers mate off for the last part of selection next week and then start properly in may, first time I ran 2k it took me about 25 mins so a marked improvement there and when i doing that i couldn't have even looked at lasting for five k, so pretty happy with the progress so far.

Mate of mine ran the Berlin marathon whenever it was last on in 2 hours 58, I can't even fathom doing that distance in that time Haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cheers mate off for the last part of selection next week and then start properly in may, first time I ran 2k it took me about 25 mins so a marked improvement there and when i doing that i couldn't have even looked at lasting for five k, so pretty happy with the progress so far.

Mate of mine ran the Berlin marathon whenever it was last on in 2 hours 58, I can't even fathom doing that distance in that time Haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I imagine you'll be flying round after basic training. Got one mate who left the army about three years ago and was running sub-18 5ks just after he left. Another really good mate was in the Navy and can still run round half marathons without really training in his mid 40s :rant:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm making a rare appearance at Hove Park tomorrow. Hope to see one or two familiar faces there...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Barcodes at the Prom for me tomorrow before a gentle few miles with 200m strides thrown in.
Really fired up for Sunday at Hastings. Weather looks great for running. Hoping to finish the better side of 1:40:00 but not sure if my deliberate strategy of no major hill training for 3 weeks prior will bear fruit.
See all runners by the marquee Sunday morning?? In particular looking forward to starting with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] to make a race of it.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Barcodes at the Prom for me tomorrow before a gentle few miles with 200m strides thrown in.
Really fired up for Sunday at Hastings. Weather looks great for running. Hoping to finish the better side of 1:40:00 but not sure if my deliberate strategy of no major hill training for 3 weeks prior will bear fruit.
See all runners by the marquee Sunday morning?? In particular looking forward to starting with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] to make a race of it.

Nice feature on Hastings on South Today this evening. Several people have run all 35 editions of the race. They are expecting 80,000 spectators to cheer us along the route.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I’m not park running tomorrow so will stick on 49 and maybe make Seaford my 50th next week.
Looking forward to Sunday where the weather looks perfect as you say. I’ll look out for you at the marquee but also hope to see all NSC runners on the day. Sub 1:40 is the plan, miles 4,5 and 6 will be decisive.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m not park running tomorrow so will stick on 49 and maybe make Seaford my 50th next week.
Looking forward to Sunday where the weather looks perfect as you say. I’ll look out for you at the marquee but also hope to see all NSC runners on the day. Sub 1:40 is the plan, miles 4,5 and 6 will be decisive.

I’m also on 49 and will also make it 50 next week, venue tbc. See you Sunday in Hastings.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good luck!

And let me know if they still provide a horse brass as a medal!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck!

And let me know if they still provide a horse brass as a medal!

There no tin like Hastings tin.
30A693B7-348E-4446-8E39-B1E1B2376CB4.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

My legs have gone all trembly, I'm on my way to Hastings. La la la la. Adrenaline kicking in. Scared as I'll try and compete up the first 5 miles of hill. Do or die! If you can't see me on the ridge you've won the Battle of Hastings............

I’m also on 49 and will also make it 50 next week, venue tbc. See you Sunday in Hastings.

Simgull and I have nominated you as the marker standing above the crowd at the Marquee. See you there. You'll love this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here