Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's see if new wheels can take a few seconds off. The guys in Nick Rivett talked me in to Brooks again after three pairs of Saucony.. Took them for a very small test run and they are ridiculously comfortable with plenty of bounce.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It's late and I've had three pints of IPA so I'll keep my race report brief - what a good night.

My second fastest 10k ever unofficially at 48.42 but Strava also showing my last three mile splits as 7.46, 7.48, 7.46 and an overall negative split thanks to the sea breeze. I'm absolutely over the moon with that and a good post run chinwag.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
44:21 official for me. Very happy and actually quite enjoyed a 10k for once. Most pleasing was the consistency as shown below...and managing to finish strongly. B839E012-A749-42F5-9637-6AC9E02E4B1F.jpeg Great catch up in The Brunswick afterwards too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good pacing yesterday from the NSC boys.

Seems to be a little concern that I missed out on the pub. Something I had a 100% record for. No worries there I had a relaxing swim and was watching a film with a glass of wine by the time you all got going. I would not have had the exercise rush to be able to compete in The Brunswick...............

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bronze medal for me then - my Chip time was 44:47. I travelled consistently at 4:30 per KM (4:23, 4:31, 4:31, 4:33, 4:33) in the first 5km and then at the turn made a bit of a move (4:27, 4:20, 4:20, 4:17, 5:32, 3:51) - but as you can see, I needed a quick stop in the gents during KM 9, I probably would have held off if I'd been on for a relatively quick time but I didn't see the value in suffering. It also gave me quite a spring in my step for the run in - a 3:51 final KM is decent and my moving time was 43:27 which I'm pleasantly surprised about.

It was a funny one for me, I didn't feel tired at any point it was just tough running on stiff knees. They always feel a bit looser after 3/4 miles but it's getting better day by day and it's a bit of a grounder really, we all get so focused on the timings and whatnot, but really, it's just good to be able to get out there and run!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good night all round last night. Surprisingly I really enjoyed the run last night, at least by typical 10k standards.

I was hoping for quicker but perhaps coasted a little too much in the mid section of the race. Maybe that’s why I enjoyed it more than usual.

Pacing this distance is so tough. Next time round I might go all out early and then hang on fine 3/4K.

3 pints of session IPA at 4.4% the perfect recovery drink and good to hear about [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] visits to the barber in Taiwan.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good night all round last night. Surprisingly I really enjoyed the run last night, at least by typical 10k standards.

I was hoping for quicker but perhaps coasted a little too much in the mid section of the race. Maybe that’s why I enjoyed it more than usual.

Pacing this distance is so tough. Next time round I might go all out early and then hang on fine 3/4K.

3 pints of session IPA at 4.4% the perfect recovery drink and good to hear about [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] visits to the barber in Taiwan.

A small update on pub chat (not on Taiwanese "barbers") to be filed under "there's hope for all of us". My friend Guy who runs the stupidly quick ultras finished in 38.30 last night. He was apparently looking for me at the start but didn't find me (because I was jogging on the seafront warming up and looking for you). He then ran a warm down up hill for 2 miles to get his car and then (so Strava says anyway) ran a 14 (FOURTEEN) mile recovery run THIS MORNING. Not only do we know each other from getting wasted rather than running but his first ever half mara was 1.58 and his first Brighton marathon 4.16.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Continuing the 10k theme I've just signed up for the Brighton Trailblazer a week Sunday (21st) it's an 11am start at the point where Falmer Road and Bexhill Road meet near Woodingdean. It measures just short of 6 miles according to my watch but it's a cracking off road, hilly race. You can usually register on the day up to 10:30.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have just signed up for 2 events; Trailblazer 10k and Lunar-Tic Marathon. It's time to get right back into training now I'm freely walking again. :lolol:

I'm going to be attacking a parkrun this weekend for a sub-20 attempt, I'm thinking about Worthing or Peacehaven. But it is Hove Promenade's fourth birthday, so there may very well be cake.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good luck to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] taking on Race to the Stones this weekend. An awesome challenge and a bit different to a seafront 10k followed by a beer or three.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I have just signed up for 2 events; Trailblazer 10k and Lunar-Tic Marathon. It's time to get right back into training now I'm freely walking again. :lolol:

I'm going to be attacking a parkrun this weekend for a sub-20 attempt, I'm thinking about Worthing or Peacehaven. But it is Hove Promenade's fourth birthday, so there may very well be cake.

Peacehaven is quite a tough course? Stick to the tarmac (but not literally)?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Peacehaven is quite a tough course? Stick to the tarmac (but not literally)?

I like it, it's got a small climb but nothing major and fairly quick. I've done it twice and both in sub-20 times (although the first time, I was 10 minutes late!).

Just over 41 at Phoenix. Kept up with the 40-minute pacer for 2.5k, what a winner. Well played, everyone :)

... and that's me off the podium then. :down: Good hustle, fella!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Some great times on Wednesday, well played all. I must have a go at a 10k PB at some point, but probably not this year although I had entered the Brighton 10k in November, well I had but then got my money back as they have fallen out with the Admin company running it for them, but will rebook it at some point!

Cheers for the good wishes for RTTS tomorrow, will update all next week, I am recovering at my Sisters on Sunday and Monday and hope to drive home on Tuesday mid morning! I will be intrigued as to how I recover post race.

I am doing the 5.30am run in Brighton Friday morning, but that is about having fun not time as no official finish time given.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some great times on Wednesday, well played all. I must have a go at a 10k PB at some point, but probably not this year although I had entered the Brighton 10k in November, well I had but then got my money back as they have fallen out with the Admin company running it for them, but will rebook it at some point!

Cheers for the good wishes for RTTS tomorrow, will update all next week, I am recovering at my Sisters on Sunday and Monday and hope to drive home on Tuesday mid morning! I will be intrigued as to how I recover post race.

I am doing the 5.30am run in Brighton Friday morning, but that is about having fun not time as no official finish time given.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be back on track by Tuesday for the drive home :thumbsup: Then the 5:30 on Friday will seem like a doddle...

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
hi guys, super chuffed to have picked up my first running trophy this week. I ended up coming 2nd Overall Men's Vet 40 in the Herts Midweek 10k League, over 4 mixed-terrain roughly 10k races in different locations, in the last 8 weeks or so.

I was running for Watford Joggers and knew the club had come 1st place Overall, 1st place Men's and 1st place Men's Vet 40's in the league's team categories and the club got promoted from Div. 2 to Div. 1 for next year's league but I didn't realise there were individual podium places (I missed the trophy presentations!) so it was a really nice surprise.

Harpenden - 35:59 (Placed 7th / 2nd Vet 40)
Harlow - 36:15 (Placed 12th / 5th Vet 40)
Watford - 37:08 (Placed 10th / 3rd Vet 40)
Stevenage - 36:46 (Placed 18th / 6th Vet 40)

mwl.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
hi guys, super chuffed to have picked up my first running trophy this week. I ended up coming 2nd Overall Men's Vet 40 in the Herts Midweek 10k League, over 4 mixed-terrain roughly 10k races in different locations, in the last 8 weeks or so.

I was running for Watford Joggers and knew the club had come 1st place Overall, 1st place Men's and 1st place Men's Vet 40's in the league's team categories and the club got promoted from Div. 2 to Div. 1 for next year's league but I didn't realise there were individual podium places (I missed the trophy presentations!) so it was a really nice surprise.

Harpenden - 35:59 (Placed 7th / 2nd Vet 40)
Harlow - 36:15 (Placed 12th / 5th Vet 40)
Watford - 37:08 (Placed 10th / 3rd Vet 40)
Stevenage - 36:46 (Placed 18th / 6th Vet 40)

View attachment 112836

Good work - congratulations!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here