Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
3rd mile attempt at the Velodrome tonight and a Pb in perfect conditions. 5.22:2

I really can’t see me taking chunks of this time but I do feel it may help with a 5k attempt soon. 8 laps and 340 metres of the Velodrome so I might try that at some stage this weekend.

Nice work. I scrolled through Strava and got to (presumably) the warm up and warm down runs before the mile attempt. Only then did I understand why you were trundling along (for you) at over 8min/miles :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From the BBC...

Runners should be 10m away, says research

With the gyms closed and public transport to be avoided, many of us are running or cycling or simply walking to keep fit, commute or just catch a breath of fresh air. But a group of scientists is warning we should perhaps beware.

While the standard social distancing rule between one to two metres may be effective when you are standing still inside, a new study says people who are in motion should be given a wider berth to avoid transmission of the coronavirus.

When a cyclist or pedestrian sneezes, coughs or even just exhales, the saliva particles are left behind in the air. Which means the person coming up behind them passes through this cloud of droplets.

By using methods used to enhance athletes' performances, the teams from Eindhoven University of Technology and Leuven University found the greatest risk of infection existed in the slipstream.

On the basis of these results, the scientists advise that those on the move should be given more of a social distance. Walkers should get at least four metres, runners 10 metres and cyclists at least 20 metres.

Jogging during the day has already been banned in Paris, and this study may encourage governments to revise the rules to ensure those who do go out are getting a healthy breath of fresh air - rather than one that might include a stranger's saliva particles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the BBC...

Runners should be 10m away, says research

With the gyms closed and public transport to be avoided, many of us are running or cycling or simply walking to keep fit, commute or just catch a breath of fresh air. But a group of scientists is warning we should perhaps beware.

While the standard social distancing rule between one to two metres may be effective when you are standing still inside, a new study says people who are in motion should be given a wider berth to avoid transmission of the coronavirus.

When a cyclist or pedestrian sneezes, coughs or even just exhales, the saliva particles are left behind in the air. Which means the person coming up behind them passes through this cloud of droplets.

By using methods used to enhance athletes' performances, the teams from Eindhoven University of Technology and Leuven University found the greatest risk of infection existed in the slipstream.

On the basis of these results, the scientists advise that those on the move should be given more of a social distance. Walkers should get at least four metres, runners 10 metres and cyclists at least 20 metres.

Jogging during the day has already been banned in Paris, and this study may encourage governments to revise the rules to ensure those who do go out are getting a healthy breath of fresh air - rather than one that might include a stranger's saliva particles.

That’s a misprint. Cyclists should be 20 miles away.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ve not had a run today. Had a marathon of snacking. The highlights being; hot cross buns at 7, baked beans on toast at 9, And at 11 an allotment asparagus and Sussex blue cheese omelette. Now for a home made curry with home made flat bread. Can’t imagine why my body never feels like running. Routine has gone out the window.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Beat 25 minutes for 3 miles this morning. Not much for you lot but a big deal for me.

I’m now the lightest I’ve been since 1994, Doesn’t matter how much I eat given all the Kenya training miles, which I now need to do for another year. I need an [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] style snack fest.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’ve not had a run today. Had a marathon of snacking. The highlights being; hot cross buns at 7, baked beans on toast at 9, And at 11 an allotment asparagus and Sussex blue cheese omelette. Now for a home made curry with home made flat bread. Can’t imagine why my body never feels like running. Routine has gone out the window.

This, though replace the menu with sourdough toast and boiled egg, soup and pulled pork wraps with salad washed down with wine. I'm eating well. I'm not running well. Or at all.

Gear is back in the bottom draw and gels are being saved for use if I actually get something that knocks me out. Not expecting to run for a while.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Saved from page 2 again.
Little bike ride to Brighton Waitrose and 10 minutes queueing standing on one foot at a time. Good for the tendons. Hopping on the spot would be good for strengthening but might cause a reaction. Every little helps.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Run 5 days in a row with a couple decent speed sessions included. Slightly longer (but not daft) run planned tomorrow, will probably hit 40m for the week as aiming to gradually tick the volume up a bit. Sticking to the plan as far as possible, the daily run is actually something to look forward to and breaks up the day - would be going stir crazy without it (would be like being injured [emoji23][emoji23]). Eating far too much, and too much junk though. Just about balancing things at the moment.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
As the squash courts are closed I've dug out the running shoes. They're a bit old as I bought them for the Worthing marathon in 1985.
Any clues on something newer which I could use to tramp the tarmac for 5 miles at a time?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As the squash courts are closed I've dug out the running shoes. They're a bit old as I bought them for the Worthing marathon in 1985.
Any clues on something newer which I could use to tramp the tarmac for 5 miles at a time?

You could try Dunlop’s latest, the Green Flash

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is this the first Bank Holiday when we've not had a post on the running thread? Shameful - anyone would think there's a national crisis or something.

NB I've not had a run today .

Five-and-half easy miles up to Cissbury Ring and back with the dog for me yesterday, a route I really like. A challenging 1.1 mile climb up (I managed to get top 10 in the Strava leaderboard earlier on this week on the same segment) and then a joyous freewheeling blast back down again.

I'm up to day 71 of my Runstreak now, so have managed to run every day for over ten weeks. I'm up to 30.8 miles so far this week, so thinking of covering 19.2 over today and tomorrow to reach what I think will be my first 50-mile week. Staying up until 2am last night drinking and watching YouTube videos hasn't given me the best preparation for that though!

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Five-and-half easy miles up to Cissbury Ring and back with the dog for me yesterday, a route I really like. A challenging 1.1 mile climb up (I managed to get top 10 in the Strava leaderboard earlier on this week on the same segment) and then a joyous freewheeling blast back down again.

Which way do you go up? I used to run down from High Salvington, along the A24 and up Nepcote Lane to the Cissbury Ring car park, around the ring and straight down into Findon Valley and back up Mill Lane. Great challenging run up. Miss it. Live over Eastbourne way now - some great Downland runs here mind.

Last edited:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Right knee is really getting me down. Will go for a leisurely walk today, but won’t run for a few days to give my knee a chance to recover. I had a really bad blister on the under side of my right foot, just below the big toe, which I think caused me to subconsciously run in a bit of a weird way and put pressure in the wrong place. Hope it’s nothing more, as I’ve been really enjoying getting into running

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Hard to say as in an ideal world you get some kind of gait analysis. I wear Hoka but they aren’t for everyone so perhaps start with a Brooks shoe.

There are better judges than me though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Which way do you go up? I used to run down from High Salvington, along the A24 and up Nepcote Lane to the Cissbury Ring car park, around the ring and straight down into Findon Valley and back up Mill Lane. Great challenging run up. Miss it. Live over Eastbourne way now - some great Downland runs here mind.

From where I live, close to the Vale School, I run along the Gallops, across Bost Hill, follow the trail towards Rogers Farm, across the A24 at the Black Horse, through Findon Village, up Stable Lane and then up the long drag I mentioned above until you reach a crossroads which, essentially, is left to Chanctonbury Ring or right to Cissbury, I turn right there, climb up to the trig point and straight down the other side, hitting the road again at the top of Central Avenue, back down into the valley, crossing back over the A24 by the BP garage.

You should be able to see the route here: https://www.strava.com/activities/3278632317

But there are so many great routes either side of the valley. I did my own local "three peaks" a couple of weeks ago with the dog: https://www.strava.com/activities/3220469391

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
There's a bit of an irony here. While thousands of runners of all shapes and sizes are flooding the streets (and I've never seen anything like it), some of NSC's hard-core finest are side-lined.

I tried a 10k today aiming at an 'easy' 50 mins - and failed by 32 seconds.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's a bit of an irony here. While thousands of runners of all shapes and sizes are flooding the streets (and I've never seen anything like it)

It is quite something isn't it?

Does anyone else use the "View Flybys" thing on the Strava desktop site? If you haven't, it shows you people who were running/riding in the same area of you at the same time. It's useful if you see another runner out and wonder "who are they / what route were they running / how fast were they going?".

Usually when and where I run, I'd only see a small handful of other folk out in the same area on a Flyby, whereas now every time I open it up for a run, there is a massive list of others. It's quite telling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here