Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Some brilliant running this week guys! Strava says the NSC Runners Club totalled 1,386 Club Miles this week which is fantastic. I wonder if that is up there as a potential longest club weekly total?

The run of the week I think has to go to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] for the monumental 50 mile trail solo effort. :bowdown:

After running every day in April, I closed out May with a run every day again and 340 miles for the month. Mostly all of that was at a comfortable effort and nothing particularly long or intense. That takes me up to 1,349 miles for the year so far. Really happy with where I'm at but most importantly even more happy that I'm staying injury-free since last summer and feeling really good at the moment. Touch wood it continues as we go again tomorrow and hit June! :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah yeah yeah. I’ve heard that before as I struggle behind your slipstream.

I think that’s called ‘draughting behind the fat bloke’ [emoji23][emoji23]

Some brilliant running this week guys! Strava says the NSC Runners Club totalled 1,386 Club Miles this week which is fantastic. I wonder if that is up there as a potential longest club weekly total?

The run of the week I think has to go to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] for the monumental 50 mile trail solo effort. :bowdown:

After running every day in April, I closed out May with a run every day again and 340 miles for the month. Mostly all of that was at a comfortable effort and nothing particularly long or intense. That takes me up to 1,349 miles for the year so far. Really happy with where I'm at but most importantly even more happy that I'm staying injury-free since last summer and feeling really good at the moment. Touch wood it continues as we go again tomorrow and hit June! :smile:

Very impressive mileage that [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Horrible 5k this evening. I was slow, just couldn't seem to get into any rhythm, and it just felt like a real slog, but I did it.

For the final mile (out of a paltry total of 3.1 miles!) all I could do was marvel at [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]'s unsupported 50 miler. I really wish I hadn't read this thread before I went out :facepalm:

50 miles? :mad: A distance I can't even begin to comprehend :bowdown:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Are you looking to keep running every day or will you start to add the odd rest day in? I’ve found running 6 days a week, perhaps one day too many despite keeping it easy for the bulk of my miles.

Perhaps I haven’t acclimatised to the increased mileage yet, having gone from 25-30 miles to 40-50 miles since lockdown.

My intention is to rest tomorrow and then attack a 10 mile time trial Tuesday or Wednesday to see what I’m capable of at that distance now The Bright 10 has gone.

200+ pages into Endure now. Brilliant book, would highly recommend to anyone else on here.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Finished the 50 mile week successfully this morning - in fact ended up with 56 miles as I ran with a friend today to help him finish his 100. As said before, really enjoyed this virtual event and I think it’s been a huge success with nearly 4000 participants from toddlers to 88 year olds.

Managed to end conveniently outside Marroccos for a celebratory ice cream and then had a nice catch up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] post his sea swim.

What’s next then? Group runs up to six now allowed (with social distancing) so I think we’ll start to see some of the clubs start up with some low key training runs. It will be really nice to run with people again after three months of going solo.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

1,430 miles for the NSC club now just approaching midnight My traditional hangover/procrastination combo meant I didn't leave home until gone 19:30 for a two-hour run and, presumably, one or two others also went out later.

185 miles for me in May - slightly disappointing as, halfway through, I thought I was on for 200 miles in the month for the first time, but my knee niggle meant I had to ease off on the distance for a week and a bit.

I started the runstreak on January 31st, so it's been four months now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finished the 50 mile week successfully this morning - in fact ended up with 56 miles as I ran with a friend today to help him finish his 100. As said before, really enjoyed this virtual event and I think it’s been a huge success with nearly 4000 participants from toddlers to 88 year olds.

Managed to end conveniently outside Marroccos for a celebratory ice cream and then had a nice catch up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] post his sea swim.

What’s next then? Group runs up to six now allowed (with social distancing) so I think we’ll start to see some of the clubs start up with some low key training runs. It will be really nice to run with people again after three months of going solo.

Well done on 56 miles.
Arena are waiting for endorsment from England Athletics before moving on from solo running.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Awesome running [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Are you looking to keep running every day or will you start to add the odd rest day in? I’ve found running 6 days a week, perhaps one day too many despite keeping it easy for the bulk of my miles.

Perhaps I haven’t acclimatised to the increased mileage yet, having gone from 25-30 miles to 40-50 miles since lockdown.

My intention is to rest tomorrow and then attack a 10 mile time trial Tuesday or Wednesday to see what I’m capable of at that distance now The Bright 10 has gone.

200+ pages into Endure now. Brilliant book, would highly recommend to anyone else on here.

hey mate, yeah I definitely think it's a game of patience when looking to increase our weekly mileage. A gradual step increase over time (a significant number of months) is the best approach to avoid any grumbles with a jump in volume setting in, putting us back to square one.

I did exactly the same as you. Went from getting comfortable running 30+ miles/week, then slowly got up to 50+ miles/week, then up to 70+ miles/week. It's taken me a few years though and it's not a linear progression. Over time we get conditioned to run more but it's definitely a balancing act. Unless we're running up to 100 miles a week I don't think there's a lot of benefit to double days (and there's certainly a risk) so if you can get your weekly mileage in with singles that's the best route.

At the moment I'm just running for fun and enjoying getting out for a run each day, building my aerobic base and banking those aerobic deposits. It's all pretty much at a nice comfortable effort so I'm not really getting fatigued from one day to the next, but still getting the benefits of higher mileage.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to start marathon training for London in Oct. (although it's very much in doubt...) and I will go back to including 2 "quality" days a week and slowly start incorporating regular weekly sessions (intervals / tempos / 18+ mile long runs). That's when I'll probably take a rest day every 7 to 10 days.

Right now it's all about building the biggest aerobic foundation I can so that when I start adding "quality" days hopefully I'll be in good shape to absorb and sustain them.

Really pleased you're liking the book! :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
185 miles for me in May - slightly disappointing as, halfway through, I thought I was on for 200 miles in the month for the first time, but my knee niggle meant I had to ease off on the distance for a week and a bit.

I didn't realise when I typed that last night, but my 185.2 miles is actually a record month for me - just ahead of last month's 183.

I'm also wondering if my walking, generally with the dog, helps or hinders my running performance. Last month I walked 240 miles in addition to the running miles.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
May 2020 - 29 runs, 288.2 km, 5.07 ave kmph, 9.94 ave km per run.

Im currently on a rest day which i promised myself for the last 3 weeks. However, the chances of me having a cheeky 10k by the end of the day are looking more and more likely.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I didn't realise when I typed that last night, but my 185.2 miles is actually a record month for me - just ahead of last month's 183.

I'm also wondering if my walking, generally with the dog, helps or hinders my running performance. Last month I walked 240 miles in addition to the running miles.

I'd have a stab that it potentially helps with endurance but would be pretty sure it means you're not getting anything like enough rest - if you're running and walking every day, you'll find it difficult to fully recover (even if it feels like you are). Splitting your efforts into a run and a walk is not really much different to doing a much longer run/walk as a combined session (cumulative load doesn't change) - so you're essentially currently following a 100 mile per week programme with no rest days at all - doubt you'd find a coach anywhere that would suggest that is a good idea - your 'time on feet' is an enormous load too.

Sample 'expert view' (loads more online)

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-importance-of-rest-days/

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
May 2020 - 29 runs, 288.2 km, 5.07 ave kmph, 9.94 ave km per run.

Im currently on a rest day which i promised myself for the last 3 weeks. However, the chances of me having a cheeky 10k by the end of the day are looking more and more likely.

June 2020 - 1 run, 10.01 km, 4.58 ave kmph, 10.01 ave km per run.

Rest day failure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
40 mins constant running this morning for the first time in ages. Felt yesterday's footgolf session on the downs and the cheeky fruit cider afterwards in my legs but lungs held out all the way round, which is decent. Next run Thursday.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not troubling the scorers tonight with my mile attempt (5:24.5). 8 weeks without trying was possibly the difference plus 6 consecutive day of running, so eager to try again in the next 7/14 days with better prep.

Anyone else trying the 1 mile or 3k challenge soon?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'd have a stab that it potentially helps with endurance but would be pretty sure it means you're not getting anything like enough rest - if you're running and walking every day, you'll find it difficult to fully recover (even if it feels like you are). Splitting your efforts into a run and a walk is not really much different to doing a much longer run/walk as a combined session (cumulative load doesn't change) - so you're essentially currently following a 100 mile per week programme with no rest days at all - doubt you'd find a coach anywhere that would suggest that is a good idea - your 'time on feet' is an enormous load too.

Sample 'expert view' (loads more online)

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-importance-of-rest-days/

Interesting. I have always bought into the argument about the importance of rest days, especially as an 'older runner', and have always religiously built one or two into my week, even in the build up to a big race. As you say, every coach seems to say pretty much the same about this.

However, when lockdown started I decided that I would run every day come what may, not for training reasons so much as because I was initially concerned we might lose the right to exercise outside (as they had in some European countries) and I wanted to enjoy my running as much as possible before that happened. Since then, it's been clear that we probably wouldn't be prevented from running outside, but keeping the daily running going has become a massive part of my psychological response to the changed environment. Running every day, without a focus on times and races, and especially being out on the downs or in the woods has really helped.

So the net effect of this is that I have now run every day for the last 75 days, and I've never had a running streak of that length. My total monthly distance in April and May was over 300km, so just over 10km per day average (I've only every had one month over 300km before, and that wasn't with daily running). To my surprise, not only have I never felt fitter, but I have had hardly any twinges or niggles, and the lack of rest days has so far not produced any negative effects that I can see, so I'm now beginning to think it may be possible to get enough recovery through regular running with a varied routine (and including plenty of gentle off-road stuff).

I will probably regret this post when I come down with a stress fracture or plantar fascitis or something in the next couple of days....

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting. I have always bought into the argument about the importance of rest days, especially as an 'older runner', and have always religiously built one or two into my week, even in the build up to a big race. As you say, every coach seems to say pretty much the same about this.

However, when lockdown started I decided that I would run every day come what may, not for training reasons so much as because I was initially concerned we might lose the right to exercise outside (as they had in some European countries) and I wanted to enjoy my running as much as possible before that happened. Since then, it's been clear that we probably wouldn't be prevented from running outside, but keeping the daily running going has become a massive part of my psychological response to the changed environment. Running every day, without a focus on times and races, and especially being out on the downs or in the woods has really helped.

So the net effect of this is that I have now run every day for the last 75 days, and I've never had a running streak of that length. My total monthly distance in April and May was over 300km, so just over 10km per day average (I've only every had one month over 300km before, and that wasn't with daily running). To my surprise, not only have I never felt fitter, but I have had hardly any twinges or niggles, and the lack of rest days has so far not produced any negative effects that I can see, so I'm now beginning to think it may be possible to get enough recovery through regular running with a varied routine (and including plenty of gentle off-road stuff).

I will probably regret this post when I come down with a stress fracture or plantar fascitis or something in the next couple of days....

It's definitely doable and I know quite a few that run every day.......but so many other factors to consider rather than simply whether you ran or not - what's your intensity load for example ? Does your daily 10k include say 8 x 800m at full pelt one day, and then 10k of hill reps in the same week, followed by a 10k tempo run ? That schedule would have a colossal difference physiologically to simply going out and running 10k at a comfortable pace (say 60-65%). FWIW my coach allows me to run on a 'rest day' (as you indicate, the mental health benefits of simply getting out, particularly now, are enormous), but has to be max 40 mins and at a very relaxed pace or I get a bollocking :lolol::lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm incredibly injury-prone and have just completed my 125th day in a row of running. The streak started by accident, coming off the back of an achilles injury in January and has included running through another injury, this time to my knee.

I know some runstreakers keep things ticking over with a very easy "rest day mile" which some may consider cheating. Without checking back through Strava, I think I've done that once or twice, as well as a few 2-mile runs. Regardless, as I'm walking the dog for a fair few miles on most of these days, I'm not sure an easy jog to retain the streak, really makes much difference to my legs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm incredibly injury-prone and have just completed my 125th day in a row of running. The streak started by accident, coming off the back of an achilles injury in January and has included running through another injury, this time to my knee.

I know some runstreakers keep things ticking over with a very easy "rest day mile" which some may consider cheating. Without checking back through Strava, I think I've done that once or twice, as well as a few 2-mile runs. Regardless, as I'm walking the dog for a fair few miles on most of these days, I'm not sure an easy jog to retain the streak, really makes much difference to my legs.

Sure you're right...........a short (by that - for me at least - meaning 30 mins or so) easy (and it does need to be easy) jog won't have any material impact when you're used to covering 400m+ per month on your feet - again the intensity of sessions makes a big, big difference. Doing 200m a month all run very hard would be much more damaging potentially than 400m of a mix of steady & easy running and walking. Most plans I've seen aimed at specific race plans typically have 70-80% of the distance at fairly low intensity, with just a couple of truly hard sessions a week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here