Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A paltry 76 miles for March for me, but then with Jan and Feb not getting over 20, it's an improvement!

Notched up 100 miles for the year early this morning as I celebrated turning 42 trying to run like I was still 32. Attempted to squeeze 4.2 miles into 32 minutes and failed, just. Decent workout though, legs just a bit tired at the end, up a hill...

Solid running and Happy Birthday! :ascarf: :birthday:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
178 miles in March and 420m for the year. Bit behind schedule due to 3 weeks holiday earlier in the year, and fitness not great at the moment but plodding along..........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
123 miles in March and 315 for the year. Included 10 glorious spring miles on the Downs this afternoon. Doesn’t get much better than this time of year up there and not being able to hear any traffic was a bonus.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Glorious crisp morning up on the North Downs, spectacular views from Newlands Corner and St Martha's Hill. A few runners and dog walkers about, but all very friendly and respectful of social distancing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
March stats bit low 35m from week 1 being the total. 4m swim low as well.

Had 3 weeks off due to the double hit of bug [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] had. Decided to wait for return to running due to caution re my arthritis immune flare ups and a bit of laziness. Feeling good from the break.
Been pumping the dumbbells and doing press ups ready for an OAP Mr Universe challenge with @GNT when Worthing Beach opens. ������

Last edited:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Another 10k yesterday, was very happy to finish it as I was suffering a bit from my first real bad blister. Over the worst of it now. Much slower than my first attempt but am more pleased with it as it was a much tougher mental challenge. When I can afford another pair of running shoes I will start doing some longer distances outside. My gym is a bit strict and won't allow outside trainers inside, so having to wait at the moment till the money situation allows! Since last Wednesday I've done 35k (all metric out here) which I'm pretty happy with, nothing compared to many of you but I'm building myself up and, blisters aside, feeling good.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
March stats bit low 35m from week 1 being the total. 4m swim low as well.

Had 3 weeks off due to the double hit of bug [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] had. Decided to wait for return to running due to caution re my arthritis immune flare ups and a bit of laziness. Feeling good from the break.
Been pumping the dumbbells and doing press ups ready for an OAP Mr Universe challenge with @GNT when Worthing Beach opens. ������

Good to hear you are on the verge of a relaunch. My March totals are shameful, although I've never really been a 'totals' man. I managed a 5K today (a weekly short run is about my limit) and clocked just under 23 mins. Like you, it's only really the prospect of a race that gets me motivated. Talking of challenges...………

I note the OAP Mr Universe challenge and that you are pumping away in preparation like a steam-driven piston. Amongst my (many) eccentricities, I've taken to walking up the local hills with a 10kg vest on. This has the effect of making me look rather rotund and I'm waiting for the first, 'oi, you fat bast*rd' shouted insult. I should add that every now and then I leap up to a tree branch and rep out some pull-ups. God alone knows what any passing dog-walkers (and their dogs) would make of this sight.
But this all means that I'm ripped and ready for you!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Decided to test myself at 3,000 metres tonight. 5 laps and 105 metres of Preston Park Velodrome.

Not an easy distance but pleased with 10.51.6.

Nothing to judge it against but below 11 minutes so I’ll take that first time out.

Easy run tomorrow then another go at the 1 mile distance.

So pleased I can run at the moment the one release in an otherwise chaotic life with two WFH parents and a 5 year old!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Clocked up eight and a bit miles this morning – taking in one lap of the Lunar-Tic course, which was probably the most arid I've ever seen it. Just the one bit of soft mud the whole way around. Social distancing success – there were more sheep near me than actual humans!

As a side-note, the A27 was (relatively-speaking) heaving this morning both times I went under it. I can't believe that they are all 'essential journeys' ???

I have a horrible feeling proper lockdown is coming, which means contemplating a garden marathon attempt...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Clocked up eight and a bit miles this morning – taking in one lap of the Lunar-Tic course, which was probably the most arid I've ever seen it. Just the one bit of soft mud the whole way around. Social distancing success – there were more sheep near me than actual humans!

As a side-note, the A27 was (relatively-speaking) heaving this morning both times I went under it. I can't believe that they are all 'essential journeys' ???

I have a horrible feeling proper lockdown is coming, which means contemplating a garden marathon attempt...

Where TF is everyone driving to ? I've used the car once in 10 days for a trip to Tesco, wife's car hasn't been used at all. Warm, sunny weekend ahead apparently................not hopeful

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Similar here - a seven-and-a-bit mile loop of the Downs including Cissbury Ring with the dog for me today. Far more animal encounters - cows, sheep, ponies and a red kite that kept swooping in low - than human ones.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Where TF is everyone driving to ? I've used the car once in 10 days for a trip to Tesco, wife's car hasn't been used at all. Warm, sunny weekend ahead apparently................not hopeful

Given the times (c.6:50 and just before 8am) I'm guessing some of them were the older generation going to Tesco (just off the 27); trades in their vans still going to work and maybe teachers and NHS staff. I know lots of people are still going into work, but I wasn't expecting quite the volume of traffic that was along there. Plenty are flouting the rules, I'm sure...

I've used the car a few times for trips to the shop – in the town it's been much quieter, to be fair.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve just driven across Worthing and back (delivering food to my mum) and I really don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people out running.

They’re bloody everywhere.

Where were they when running was shit?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Here's another really good running documentary film, now available in full on YouTube for a limited time.

Following the journeys of Anton Krupicka, Geoff Roes, Hal Koerner and Spain's Kilian Jornet, four legendary ultra trail runners, battling it out at the historic US 100 mile trail race 'The Western States 100' in 2010. It's a really captivating film about the running background and stories of each of them and capturing what happens at the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1as6CTYXI&t=1692s

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I’ve just driven across Worthing and back (delivering food to my mum) and I really don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people out running.

They’re bloody everywhere.

Where were they when running was shit?

I feel like governments need to enforce an "amateur hour" when the new so-called runners are allowed to run. Wearing their baggy tracksuits and ill-fitting trainers.

You're only allowed out with the "proper" runners once you've spunked your money on a whole load of technical clothes, and at least 3 pairs of high-end running shoes after some gait analysis.

On that note, I'm heading out for a run in a minute.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I feel like governments need to enforce an "amateur hour" when the new so-called runners are allowed to run. Wearing their baggy tracksuits and ill-fitting trainers.

You're only allowed out with the "proper" runners once you've spunked your money on a whole load of technical clothes, and at least 3 pairs of high-end running shoes after some gait analysis.

On that note, I'm heading out for a run in a minute.

Definitely - like the NHS shopping hour, we need a proper ‘runners hour’ where we get the trails and roads to ourselves rather than having to speed up and pretend it’s not hurting when we run past someone in their Sports Direct £10 Athleisure suit by Donnay and Dunlop trainers. The police should be trained to spot those in sub-standard kit and they can shoot them on sight if they’re out at the wrong time. It’s only fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here