Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing 21.53 with AG of 75.93%. I'm pleased with but my Achilles isn't. 7th in AG (500 finishers) so no Guinness for me. Beat a rival who has ha the better of me in just about every event this year, so that makes it a good run. (Funny how we've all got these individual benchmarks.) Mrs GNT and Junior GNT also turned out.

ChrisTheClown

Aug 9, 2019
Lancing cancelled this morning due to some kind of event-type thing on Beach Green. Did a 5k on my own instead, managed 22.33. It's tough when you're on your own.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
21:27 at Hove Park, just two seconds off an SB abut my best time at Hove Park since January 2017. Think I should be close to 21 mins on a flat course but I’m away for next couple of weeks and will be running in the Alps instead.

Kerry sounds fantastic [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and best wishes to [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION] Elton’s Brother who is on the injury bench.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
A new PB of 23:45 today, taking 59 seconds off my previous best 4 weeks ago. Well chuffed with that after a couple of lower milage weeks. Not sure on AG score yet as whilst I received my text time confirmation the website is yet to be updated.

Will be going for another 6 mile run tomorrow to prepare for Atherstone 10k next weekend. Will definitely not be a PB next week as that race feels like the first 7k is all up hill!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Argh! Tripped up on the Downs this morning. Made it home and now smothered in savlon and an ice pack on the golf ball limo that is sitting on my knee! Lucky nothing worse but shows how easy it is tor it to all go wrong suddenly!!!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Did the Henfield Half yesterday - lovely low key local event, less than 200 runners, all off-road, mixture of riverside paths, tracks through fields and a section on the Downslink. Lots of stiles and gates to navigate, and torrential rain for the first half hour or so made it somewhat slippery and muddy. I set out to do it at training pace rather than race pace as I'm building up for other autumn races at the moment, so time was slow (around 2h dead-on by my watch - haven't seen the official results yet). I really enjoyed it though, especially once the sun came out - it was really well-organised, with good marshalling, three water points and only £12 to enter, so definitely worth considering if you've not done it.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Argh! Tripped up on the Downs this morning. Made it home and now smothered in savlon and an ice pack on the golf ball limo that is sitting on my knee! Lucky nothing worse but shows how easy it is tor it to all go wrong suddenly!!!

You don't need to tell me how easy it is to fall over, having done so twice now in about eight months - maybe running isn't good for me after all.

Good to see you on Saturday, I hope you're still able to do your mountain training over the next couple of weeks.

I'm struggling with Sciatic issues, need to be able to walk pain free before I think about running again - feeling very frustrated!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I did the Henfield HM yesterday like [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] and he has summarised it well. Final field was 155 runners and I think all 155 drowned rats enjoyed themselves. A fair hike to the start line when it was raining at its heaviest, but it was fine once you got running and warmed up and even better when the sun popped out to say hello. I came in in 2.07.16 and really enjoyed it, I have struggled with my running mojo since RTTS and have been running at snails pace and without much enjoyment recently so it was nice not to worry about time, but enjoy the run. Really well marshalled and a great friendly bunch of runners, found my love for running again yesterday. I also did East Grinstead park run on Saturday, my 14th different PR venue. Loved the venue and course and nice to be in a small field again, just 115 runners. It was a little muddy and slippery in places but that didn't stop some fell runner doing it in 17.16, over 2 minutes ahead of second place!! Its all off road and I have to say after this weekend it reinforces that trail running is the way forward for me!
East Grinstead PR
EGPR.jpg
Henfield HM
HHM.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another one with a couple of injury worries. Managed 11.5 miles yesterday but by then end my entire right leg, and particularly the knee and quad were so painful I had to walk the last half mile rather than round it up to 12.

Am booked in with "new Jesus" at Corals. I know it's a quad issue so hopefully he can sort me out quickly as I'm currently letting the injury dictate what I can and can't run. As an additional bit of fun my left hip has been aching all day today, presumably from some sort of gait compensatoin for the right leg giving up on me.

I would say Barns Green is 50/50 depending on what happens at Corals. Still want to take on Beachy Head and regard that as my autumn "A" race over BG.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Did the Henfield Half yesterday - lovely low key local event, less than 200 runners, all off-road, mixture of riverside paths, tracks through fields and a section on the Downslink. Lots of stiles and gates to navigate, and torrential rain for the first half hour or so made it somewhat slippery and muddy. I set out to do it at training pace rather than race pace as I'm building up for other autumn races at the moment, so time was slow (around 2h dead-on by my watch - haven't seen the official results yet). I really enjoyed it though, especially once the sun came out - it was really well-organised, with good marshalling, three water points and only £12 to enter, so definitely worth considering if you've not done it.

I did the Henfield HM yesterday like [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] and he has summarised it well. Final field was 155 runners and I think all 155 drowned rats enjoyed themselves. A fair hike to the start line when it was raining at its heaviest, but it was fine once you got running and warmed up and even better when the sun popped out to say hello. I came in in 2.07.16 and really enjoyed it, I have struggled with my running mojo since RTTS and have been running at snails pace and without much enjoyment recently so it was nice not to worry about time, but enjoy the run. Really well marshalled and a great friendly bunch of runners, found my love for running again yesterday. I also did East Grinstead park run on Saturday, my 14th different PR venue. Loved the venue and course and nice to be in a small field again, just 115 runners. It was a little muddy and slippery in places but that didn't stop some fell runner doing it in 17.16, over 2 minutes ahead of second place!! Its all off road and I have to say after this weekend it reinforces that trail running is the way forward for me!

I thought that race rang a bell and I just checked my pile of medals – undated, but I've got one from probably around 2009/2010. I vaguely remember it being a lovely course. Must have to head back at some point.

I'd also forgotten about Barns Green. I need to sort out some race dates and find out what I can fit in...

D

Deleted member 2719

Lancing cancelled this morning due to some kind of event-type thing on Beach Green. Did a 5k on my own instead, managed 22.33. It's tough when you're on your own.

Hey, Chris you have no need to be on your own, if you ever feel lonely go on the Brexit thread they are a friendly bunch on there.
Well, done on your solo performance.:clap2:

D

Deleted member 2719

East Grinstead PR
View attachment 114482
Henfield HM
View attachment 114483
Nice one blobby.:clap2:
Played football once at Henfield, the pitch was like a quagmire, black like peat soil, very strange place, sheep looked friendly though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Isle of Wight parkrun and then Half Marathon for me over the weekend - 9th in 19:50 and 44th in 1:35:03 respectively. Annoyingly, I'd forgotten my watch so had to use my phone to record both which means I didn't know my pace around either at the time of running. Less a problem in the parkrun than the Half, but ultimately a different challenge not having a clue how I was getting on during the events. The parkrun is called Medina, but is held at a different park half of the year, Appley Park. In my opinion, if they're going to move it around (and also, this week was the hillier version of the Appley Park course, there is a flatter version of the course as well) - it should be more generically named. It's the only one on the island, surely it should just be called IOW parkrun? If I hadn't been recently stung by a cancellation I didn't know about, I would have been stung by the course being moved from Newport to Ryde, the better part of 10 miles between the two courses. The Half is one of the hillier road Halfs going, including the KM on a 50mph A road. Not the most pleasant, but the rest of the course is quite nice, although very windy yesterday and there was a biblical monsoon in the morning so the off road section (about half of the total race) was particularly boggy.

Sorry to read about injuries, we've all been there. :down:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Am booked in with "new Jesus" at Corals. I know it's a quad issue so hopefully he can sort me out quickly as I'm currently letting the injury dictate what I can and can't run. As an additional bit of fun my left hip has been aching all day today, presumably from some sort of gait compensatoin for the right leg giving up on me.

I would say Barns Green is 50/50 depending on what happens at Corals. Still want to take on Beachy Head and regard that as my autumn "A" race over BG.

Let us know how you get on with the new Jesus. I found him very very good when I saw him with knee trouble.

Brace yourself............ it’s not always comfortable!!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I thought that race rang a bell and I just checked my pile of medals – undated, but I've got one from probably around 2009/2010. I vaguely remember it being a lovely course. Must have to head back at some point.

I'd also forgotten about Barns Green. I need to sort out some race dates and find out what I can fit in...

I'll echo all the compliments paid to the Henfield half, although I recall the stiles were buggers negotiate. Barns Green is a rightly a really highly rated event, but being a wimp I've only done the 10K. It was seriously hot when I did it. We are lucky (I won't say 'blessed') that we have such courses so nearby and even luckier if we have the fitness and form to do justice to them!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let us know how you get on with the new Jesus. I found him very very good when I saw him with knee trouble.

Brace yourself............ it’s not always comfortable!!

Will do - need to get it sorted. I'll take 30 mins of agony if it means I can run properly again!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Barns Green is a rightly a really highly rated event, but being a wimp I've only done the 10K.

Getting sub-1:30 and a coveted gold medal on the half-marathon there last year is probably the running achievement that has given me the most pleasure so far. Tough course, but a great event.

I'm not entering this year as I'm still trying to get my form back post-hospitalisation, and I don't want to be broken ahead of marathon training for Brighton next year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here