Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace Ultras

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
I'm probably never going to live this down, but I think it's a story that needed telling. This week, in a covert operation, I went behind enemy lines to interview the Holmesdale Fantatics of Crystal Palace.

I emerged unscathed.

This is the results of my interview with them:

Holmesdale Fanatics

I'd love to know what you think. If you comment on here, then great. If you do so on the actual site, and then they'll read it. No chance of asking everyone to be civilised on this matter is there? No, thought not.

If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll be rewarded with a couple of articles on the Brighton/Palace rivalry from our prespective.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Another good read that. Only saw your website when your posted the interview with Clive the other day and have been working my way through the articles. Bloody superb site. I'm extremely jealous of your travels. As someone who is currently on a sports media uni course it's a great sports journalist stylee website to look at.

sammy g

An interesting read and made me think how important it is that we, the fans get the atmosphere right at Falmer. Having been to number of new grounds in the last ten years and a visit a few years ago to the Madjeski springs to mind, and seeing how poor the atmosphere can be at these grounds. The fans need to have an identity separate from the clubs corporate identity otherwise we risk becoming commodities to the club and I firmly believe that then reduces the chance of a good atmosphere being created. It doesn't mean we have to clash with the club but to have our own identity that is not prescribed to by anyone.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Excellent article and some well put points. Highlights the need for the Brighton Ultras/Blue Brigade to work at Falmer - bollocks to all the 'stuck in the muds' on here who dismiss it as European rubbish that we don't want in the English game where we'll happily stick to pie munching and renditions of "Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion...." and similar uninspiring dirge. Imho Ultras at the Albion would be a fantastic asset for this club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good piece - although I think the interviewee could have been pushed a bit more on the question about violence; he was a bit evasive.

The travails of the Palace Ultras, the documented case of the Leicester City fans and our problems with stewarding does show how football authorities are determined to transform football into a sanitised form of sport, far removed from the one that I grew up following.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I still really struggle to find enthusiasm with such prescribed, organised grouping. It's just not the same as meeting people randomly on the terraces and is in danger of becoming very exclusive. Having said that it's better than the status quo.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
excellent read - Palace do really need to change their "South London" comments to "North Surrey" though. Fricking London wannabees.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That really was a cracking read, HMHB.

Excellent article and some well put points. Highlights the need for the Brighton Ultras/Blue Brigade to work at Falmer - bollocks to all the 'stuck in the muds' on here who dismiss it as European rubbish that we don't want in the English game where we'll happily stick to pie munching and renditions of "Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion...." and similar uninspiring dirge. Imho Ultras at the Albion would be a fantastic asset for this club.
I think it's going to become necessary if we're going to have atmosphere at our grounds for run of the mill games. The game is fairly sanitised these days, all seating and enforced zealously, and of course in days gone by, terracing allowed like minded people to move together. There needs to be new ways for noisy fans to express themselves.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I’ve seen their ultras a few times and I have to admit they are pretty impressive, really raises the atmosphere.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent piece and I found it hard to argue with any of it - except perhaps the bit about 'running Brighton up and down the south coast'!

Like others I don't really like the idea of formally-organised fans groups like Ultras - but it IS better than the status quo. If we get it at Brighton I hope it's truly independent; i.e. not a branch of the official Supporters' Club and definitely not something sanctioned and approved by the football club itself.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As has been mentioned before, I really want a 'noisy' bit at Falmer and see nothing wrong with fans pre-organising songs and chants as they can look and sound brilliant. The problem is avoiding the word 'ultras' in my opinion which always alludes to violence or politics.

A noisy bit at Falmer is very much needed but it must be promoted in the correct fashion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Great read, I suspect they are in a King Canute position against the forces of sanitisation, but fair play to them for doing their best to create some atmosphere and have a greater sense of unity. It beats whining on NSC about how dull the football watching experience is these days.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
With everyone`s thoughts turning in the coming months as to where we are all going to sit at Falmer it might be worth some of the younger, more enthusiastic supporters getting together and following those Palace fans in creating an 'ultras' area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here