Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
in fairness its a condition of the ticket. 22.80 reduced to 6 quid each will have its conditions

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
in fairness its a condition of the ticket. 22.80 reduced to 6 quid each will have its conditions

Come on, whatever way you look at this it is bloody stupid.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The whole cheap ticket scheme must have been thought up by a complete idiot.

Plenty of times I/my family have considered buying cheap tickets when going to events but as I couldnt guarantee catching the correct train home again it wasnt worth the risk having to fork out for a single ticket which would have resulted in a higher cost in total than the full price ticket.

I can only assume they whole idea is to entice people to purchase cheap tickets knowing that many will default on part or all of the journey hence the rail companies can make good money in fines.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The whole cheap ticket scheme must have been thought up by a complete idiot...

I can only assume they whole idea is to entice people to purchase cheap tickets knowing that many will default on part or all of the journey hence the rail companies can make good money in fines.

Sounds to me that the people who devised this are a long way from being idiots.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

What would make you 'suddenly' deceide to get off at Eastleigh, when you originally planned (and requested online) for a ticket to get off at Southampton central anyway..
A nice little (7 mile) walk into town perhaps.. :wrong:

The right answer is of course nothing, unless you planned to get off at Eastleigh, and therefore knowing you were breaking the set restrictions..

Come on, whatever way you look at this it is bloody stupid.

That said, yes it is ridiculous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they got caught trying to play the system. though the system is stupid and these cheap tickets deals need to be completely overhauled.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Plenty of times I/my family have considered buying cheap tickets when going to events but as I couldnt guarantee catching the correct train home again it wasnt worth the risk having to fork out for a single ticket which would have resulted in a higher cost in total than the full price ticket.

It's a same as when you buy a cheap airline ticket, you are restricted to that one flight and that one flight only and if you miss it then tough and you buy another ticket.
If you want to be flexible with your flights you pay the full walk on rate and this is exactly what the train companies are doing.
If you want a cheap fare and £2 single to London from the coast is giving it away then you adhere to the restrictions and if you want to be flexible then you buy the normal ticket.
Can't see a problem with that myself.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's a same as when you buy a cheap airline ticket, you are restricted to that one flight and that one flight only and if you miss it then tough and you buy another ticket.
If you want to be flexible with your flights you pay the full walk on rate and this is exactly what the train companies are doing.
If you want a cheap fare and £2 single to London from the coast is giving it away then you adhere to the restrictions and if you want to be flexible then you buy the normal ticket.

Hardly the same, flights between airports do not run many times a day. If you fly somewhere you know the flight back will be at a cetain time and if you have to allow a minimum of two hours (for internal flights) to get through security etc. Therefore if you attand an event which will finish at say 8pm and the flight is at 9pm you would make different arrangements, ie book a hotel and fly the next day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

In the context of this case, it's this sort of thinking which makes for ridiculous rules. You're part of problem.

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Or be organised enough to leave plenty of time to get to the station in time to get your specific train. I suppose that means you might have to wait around for an extra 30-45 mins but is that really a problem?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I'm more curious to find where the hell they managed to find 6 quid singles. SWT are robbing bastards who don't offer any kind of cheap tickets unless you travel from west of the New Forest.

I'm even more confused as to how they got caught as there are no barriers at Eastleigh.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Hardly the same, flights between airports do not run many times a day. If you fly somewhere you know the flight back will be at a cetain time and if you have to allow a minimum of two hours (for internal flights) to get through security etc. Therefore if you attand an event which will finish at say 8pm and the flight is at 9pm you would make different arrangements, ie book a hotel and fly the next day.

There's no difference at all really. Just swap the "security time" for the time it takes to get from event to the station and you have the same situation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone remember the good old days when you bought a ticket from a to b, and some times back again.....and that was that?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
What would make you 'suddenly' deceide to get off at Eastleigh, when you originally planned (and requested online) for a ticket to get off at Southampton central anyway..
A nice little (7 mile) walk into town perhaps.. :wrong:

The right answer is of course nothing, unless you planned to get off at Eastleigh, and therefore knowing you were breaking the set restrictions..

That said, yes it is ridiculous.

Says she lives at Bishopstoke so Eastleigh is the nearest station to her home. Simples.
The level of "fine" is out of all proportion to the "crime" though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Says she lives at Bishopstoke so Eastleigh is the nearest station to her home. Simples.
The level of "fine" is out of all proportion to the "crime" though.

My main concern is that you just know that there will be a number of sweaty railway types like Ernest wanking over the fact another passenger got caught 'dodging' a fare.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you buy a ticket online you tick a box to accept the terms and conditions so ignorance is not an excuse.

Precisely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here