Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Bridcutt - new signing

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Former Chelsea Midfielder Signs

Former Chelsea Midfielder Signs
Posted on: Sat 28 Aug 2010

By Paul Camillin

By Paul Camillin

Albion have signed former Chelsea midfielder Liam Bridcutt on a five-month permanent contract.

Gus Poyet explained, "We were aware of Liam last season, as a promising young holding midfielder, who had come through the ranks at Chelsea.

"However at the time that was not a priority as we had Alan Navarro covering that position; but now things have changed with his injury, so we have brought Liam in until the end of the year.

"He will provide us with cover while Alan comes back from his injury, and he has the opportunity to prove he is worth a longer-term deal with us."

Bridcutt, 21, came through the Blues' youth ranks and signed his first professional contract in the summer of 2007.

A holding midfielder who can also operate at full-back, he made his first-team bow on loan at Yeovil Town in 2008, and made nine appearances for the Glovers.

Bridcutt then linked up with his former Chelsea youth coach Brendan Rogers for a similar spell at Championship side Watford in 2008/09, and also made 19 appearances during a loan spell with Stockport County last season.

His time at County did not get off to the best of starts, following a red card in the 4-2 win against Albion at Withdean last August, and having returned to Stamford Bridge at Christmas he was eventually released this summer.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Scored against us for stockport before or got sent off against us? One or the other me thinks but i remember him playing against us.

Not a great signing Mr Poyet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And he already has received a red card at withdean, he'll fit right in!*

*Comment is meant tongue in cheek, not as an actual knock on the guy.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Scored against us for stockport before or got sent off against us? One or the other me thinks but i remember him playing against us.

Not a great signing Mr Poyet.
eh, why not?
He started well at Stockport but supposedly stopped putting in any effort when their team went to shit. Hard to blame him for that. He's on a 5 month deal, so nothing to lose for us but plenty to prove for him.

Midfield would not have been top of my priority list of signings but if the option is there, no reason not to take it. Good 'cover' signing I'd say.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
eh, why not?
He started well at Stockport but supposedly stopped putting in any effort when their team went to shit. Hard to blame him for that. He's on a 5 month deal, so nothing to lose for us but plenty to prove for him.

Midfield would not have been top of my priority list of signings but if the option is there, no reason not to take it.

Another holding midfielder? Surely its all about getting a striker. We have Dicker who can play in that position , Kishishev and Battipiedi :shrug:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
at least he's already played a big in this league I suppose.

hardly inspiring, but hopefully it won't take up much of the 30% of budget which remained until today.

Strange the club didn't announce it via the text message - i suppose they didn't want to wake anyone up!

This is a clever signing. He will provide decent cover for 5 months and hardly eat up any of the budget which will hopefully mean... STRIKER!!! He is young and has experience at this and a higher level and overall improves a desperately short of cover "SQUAD" After 5 months if he is good enough we can offer him a contract or say no thanks, with little money used up.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
cover signing i suppose. might be okay. assume he's not costing much. would rather give one of our own youth prospects a chance but he might be okay given a bit of time.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Another holding midfielder? Surely its all about getting a striker. We have Dicker who can play in that position , Kishishev and Battipiedi :shrug:
I haven't seen enough of Batti, so I'll bow to Gus' judgement on that one, Dicker could play there but Poyet isn't convinced about him even in his best position (sadly), that just leaves Kish. Bridcutt is probably back up, it's not exactly a thrilling signing but it doesn't make it any less likely that we'll sign a striker or winger that we've signed him.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009

Sorry?

A defensive midfielder or a holding midfielder. It is often likened to an evolved version of the old-school sweeper.

The responsibilities of defensive midfielders usually include:

Screening the defence by harrying and tackling the opposition teams' attackers and defenders.
Covering the positions of full-backs, midfielders and even centre-backs as they advance into attack. This can be during open play or during set pieces such as free-kicks or corners.
Retaining distribution nearer the defence. As passing square across the defence can be especially risky, the presence of the defensive midfielder just in front of defenders provides a relatively safer option going forward.
Directing the distribution towards the flanks or further up front.
Directing the opposition distribution to the flanks or deeper down their end, where they are less effective. Defensive midfielders are often pulled slightly towards the flank to deal with the threat of wingers cutting infield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here