Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet scouts overseas striker, three or four players required

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

Poyet made a flying trip overseas this week to watch a front runner and reported 'we liked him, but he was expensive'

'If you look at the sums and look at what has gone out and what has come in, we haven't spent money yet. If we need to spend money I've got some but we need to be clever' 'we maybe need three or four more players, if we can get them for free then great, if not and we need to spend money, so be it'

Asked if a new striker would be on board for next weeks Portugal trip he said 'It would be best, but I don't think that will happen'

Lee Hendrie is still on the radar 'we have been talking to Lee all the time, we never lost contact, we need to wait and see'

3 or 4 more players now. Those friendlies have induced a rethink of how many he needs.
Hardly - he said one or two with more if players left. Two players have left so hence 3-4.

Edit - exact quote

He said: “We are still in the chase for LuaLua because we know how important he was for us and how many people in Brighton like him.

“Of course we want a striker and after that it will depend if somebody goes and we need to re-adjust.”

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Technically I can't disagree, although I would have thought he had already discounted those guys. Am sure it wasn't a snap decision to let them go.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
1 Striker, 1 left midfielder, 1 central/right sided midfielder, prospect happy to compete with Painter for left back spot.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My thought was that when we go to Portugal we might end up with perhaps a trialist from over that way playing for us.

No evidence this will happen. Just with how we came across Calderon someone might have put us onto another player in a similar situation.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Argus:

Poyet made a flying trip overseas this week to watch a front runner and reported 'we liked him, but he was expensive'

'If you look at the sums and look at what has gone out and what has come in, we haven't spent money yet. If we need to spend money I've got some but we need to be clever' 'we maybe need three or four more players, if we can get them for free then great, if not and we need to spend money, so be it'

Asked if a new striker would be on board for next weeks Portugal trip he said 'It would be best, but I don't think that will happen'

Lee Hendrie is still on the radar 'we have been talking to Lee all the time, we never lost contact, we need to wait and see'

Is that the whole article? Are there any more clues? Was he watching one of the Champions Leage Qualifiers last night? All sounds very exciting, and suggests that the names of players already over here being mentioned are not actually in the frame, or have been discounted because of their cost.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Is that the whole article? Are there any more clues? Was he watching one of the Champions Leage Qualifiers last night? All sounds very exciting, and suggests that the names of players already over here being mentioned are not actually in the frame, or have been discounted because of their cost.

Not the whole article, but the important parts, an abridged version!

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I do hope Gus has got some things lined up to replace Jimmy/Tunni or it seems a very strange decision to reduce our backup defence so significantly only 3 weeks till kickoff (Especially with Greer suspended).

Will also be interesting to see what does happen with the additional striker. If Gus doesn't think it will happen before Portugal it will leave us with not a lot of time to complete the squad before Swindon.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Kish plus Hart would be two of the four at little cost, leaving a loan winger and an "expensive striker" or have I missed something ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here