Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pets named after footballers

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Thinking of getting a cat and it got me wondering about a potential name.

If it were to be named after an Albion hero it'd be Bobby or Peter but being as I know a Bobby and several Peters it doesn't seem to have any edge and could potentially get confusing.

I reckon Bastian would be a good name for a cat, although I don't have any particular affinity with the German midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger who made me think of it as a name.

There are NO England players who spring to mind being as in my entire lifetime we've never won a ****ing thing.

Have you ever named a furry friend after a footballer?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Thinking of getting a cat and it got me wondering about a potential name.

If it were to be named after an Albion hero it'd be Bobby or Peter but being as I know a Bobby and several Peters it doesn't seem to have any edge and could potentially get confusing.

I reckon Bastian would be a good name for a cat, although I don't have any particular affinity with the German midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger who made me think of it as a name.

There are NO England players who spring to mind being as in my entire lifetime we've never won a f***ing thing.

Have you ever named a furry friend after a footballer?

I have a British Blue shorthair cat called BAGGIO.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I have a British Blue shorthair cat called BAGGIO.

I like that.

So it is OK to name a pet after foreign flair heroes, even if they've never played for your own club?

If it weren't for that Portuguese TWAT I'd name my new pet after Brazilian World Cup goalscoring record holder Ronaldo, but alas his name is now tainted.

What about Schillaci?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I like that.

So it is OK to name a pet after foreign flair heroes, even if they've never played for your own club?

If it weren't for that Portuguese TWAT I'd name my new pet after Brazilian World Cup goalscoring record holder Ronaldo, but alas his name is now tainted.

What about Schillaci?

A bit old maybe, but if we're talking foreign FLAIR I think Eusebio would be a quality cat name.

Or Pak Do Ik.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've got a foal named Gary (after Garry Nelson) and a cat called Ronny (after Ronny 'the rocket' O'Sullivan).

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My cat is called BAGGIO simply because I bought him during the 1994 world cup. BAGGIO was one of the stars of that tournament and he played for the azuri blue.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
My cat is called BAGGIO simply because I bought him during the 1994 world cup. BAGGIO was one of the stars of that tournament and he played for the azuri blue.

That is one old cat.

JuicySeagull

Feb 6, 2008
Derby
My dad named our cat, who has sadly passed away, Zenga. After Walter Zenga.

I think that is a pretty cool name for a cat!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
A bit old maybe, but if we're talking foreign FLAIR I think Eusebio would be a quality cat name.

Or Pak Do Ik.

Well I was thinking of World Cup icons of my lifetime and if you look back over the last few World Cups the best players have been French, German or the original Ronaldo.

No pet of mine is getting named after a Frenchman and whilst I quite like German names like Bastian and Lukas (even though Podolski's Polish) I just couldn't bring myself to have my cat remind me of the misery the Germans ALWAYS seem to cause my home nation in international tournaments.

How about Romario? Brazilian icon whose name hasn't been stolen, could be a winner...

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I had a cat called Striker, He was great untill our bastard neighbours poisoned him.
I got my revenge though, Every friday on my way home from a night on the lash i'd save my bulging bladder for their prized begonias

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Of course, it was staring me in the face all along...

CAFU

Cafu the cat, it's PURRRFECT

Like :thumbsup:

Socrates would also be good if we're going Brazilian.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I had a vicious, yet loveable ginger tom who adopted me in the early/mid-nineties, who I named Crumplin. After football legend Johnny, obviously.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here