Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking of getting a DOG

choosing a dog on how it looks is part of the process , thats like a Lad wanting a Chiwawah it dont happen.

Agreed. From a fashion point of view, think what compliments your look.

If your house is kind of post-minimalist with lots of metallic surfaces I'd go for a Weimariner (sp). If you go for the old school wooden look then go for something that compliments the woodwork.

And if you have a massive renovation, you're under no obligation to keep the mutt. Give it back to a rescue home and get something else more appropriate

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed. From a fashion point of view, think what compliments your look.

If your house is kind of post-minimalist with lots of metallic surfaces I'd go for a Weimariner (sp). If you go for the old school wooden look then go for something that compliments the woodwork.

And if you have a massive renovation, you're under no obligation to keep the mutt. Give it back to a rescue home and get something else more appropriate
My problem with this is that our kitchen has been renovated, yet the bathroom has not.

Mind you that brings its own quandry. I'd be quite happy for any new dog of mine to shit in the old bathroom bog, but no f***ing way am I letting it do that in the new one.

I'll probably just train it to hop over next doors fence, shit in their garden and then I'll just blame it on the foxes. Afterall, I really don't fancy all that pooper scooper nonsense.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
if you'll take advice from me, then with kids you can't go past a Staffie, seriously, they are so so loyal and all they want from life is to be loved. Wonderful dogs with awesome dispositions, shame the chavs have turned them into hardness appendages, like any dog they can be horrible if trained so.
We've had ours since before our first kid (9 year old) was born and he's never as much as snarled at either of them, also if a pikey looks over your fence he goes off and looks well scary. Samson's his name....

Attachments

• Foxalls 352.jpg
    Foxalls 352.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 196

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fox shit has pointed ends. You will need to train your hound to squeeze at the start and the end of the job.
I know that, you know that. But does Derek next door?

To be honest, he's nearly 90 years old, so disposing of dog shit will give him something to do anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The current plan is for the dog to look sufficiently cool such that I will do most of the walking with the kids.

Derek can do his bit by taking it when it rains.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Personally I can't see the appeal of sixteen years of being up at stupid o'clock in the morning all the year round in all weathers picking up your cherry hog's shit from the pavement/field in little plastic bags. When I cycle home from a night shift at stupid o'clock in the morning there are people and their hogs all over the place, people who could have had an extra half hour or more in bed. Then you've got to do it all again in the evening and no matter how much you like 'going out for a walk' that's surely gonna wear thin after a couple of years. The missus and I were discussing it the other day and came to the conclusion that having kids (we have two) is actually less of a commitment than having a dog.

If you're going for a pet get a cat, they're equally thick, have four legs, will love you not quite as much but at least you won't be having to walk them morning, noon and night, or picking up their shit for the next decade or so.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have TWO Shi'Tzu BITCHES

They are small, don't moult and don't need walking EVERY f***ing DAY AT 6am

And one of them eats it's own SHIT so we don't have to pick it up.

This seems quite a PLUS. Could you train it to eat the other ones shit too?

On the down side, your dogs are quite YAPPY.

[or at least they YAP at me, anyhow]

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
i will be getting a dog when i'm old and retired. i'll probably rehome a retired greyhound as they take much less excercise than you'd think and they are very affectionate.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Until a dog is properly housetrained or if it gets scared or startled then they will pee when they need to. My gf's doggie is still a pup but has the occasional accident. You're probably taking the piss but beating is not the thing to do if you catch the dog (you take them straight outside sternly).

Dogs chew when they are bored or nervous or if something looks tempting, again if you see the dog trying to chew something they shouldn't you loudly tell them not to and give them a chewtoy - they soon learn what they can and can't chew (the downside is that if you expect your dog to be shut up in the house for hours at a time then they will get bored and find something to chew on).

Generally when they grow up from a puppy these things aren't a problem, but it's best to be prepared if you bring home a younger dog (under say, 18 months).

Absolutely right - its all about the training regardelss of what breed of dog you have. You can get really lovely Rotties and really horrible terriers, generally its how they are trained (or not) that dictates what a dog is like.

ive got a puppy for sale he is 12weeks see my signature

The one you bought last week?

You can. They look crap.

The people down the road have got a labrador. I'm going to look a right TURD walking that thing past their house. Wake up!

The current plan is for the dog to look sufficiently cool such that I will do most of the walking with the kids.

If you are buying one solely on how it looks or how you will look walking with it, then you shouldn't buy a dog.

We recently got a black poodle puppy, he's a cross between a toy poodle and a miniature poodle and he is adorable. We don't believe in all these funny shaped clips that people stereotypically do to poodles and we have him in what is known as a puppy cut, which basically means the fur is roughly the same length all over. He is a very intelligent friendly dog who loves everyone and is very good with kids and is easy to train. He is ideal for me with my asthma as poodles do not moult. Yes he takes a bit of looking after, but me, the wife and kids share that. He brings a lot of love to the family and we wouldn't be without him.

I say this as a cat person who had never wanted a dog and was against it up until the day we got him.

Oh and if you really are that shallow that you only care what the dog looks like, then he is one of those dogs that everyone wants to stroke, especially twenty-something females!! :wink:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
i will be getting a dog when i'm old and retired. i'll probably rehome a retired greyhound as they take much less excercise than you'd think and they are very affectionate.

Retired bloke in our road has three, and you're right, they don't need that much exercise and have great/affectionate temperaments.

The thing about getting dogs for kids is that kids grow up/lose interest and you're left with that 'lifetime commitment.' As a bloke at work, who recently got a dog 'for his kids,' found out now that his two girls are bored of taking it out for walks and he's left having to take it out on his own.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
This seems quite a PLUS. Could you train it to eat the other ones shit too?

On the down side, your dogs are quite YAPPY.

[or at least they YAP at me, anyhow]

*resistsobviousresponsethattheyreacttothehair!!!*

Yes, yes they are.

Sometimes this is GOOD, but at other times, it makes me want to rip their f***ing tongues out.

She has been known to eat the other ones shit.

Which is nice

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My temporary experience of owning a dog was quite weird. We had the brother-in-law's Hund for a few days, and initially all seemed to be going well, and I was really enjoying the walking morning and evening.

What he had neglected to tell me was that, quite literally, the bitch was on heat, and it soon became a war out there on the common, fighting to keep multiple male dogs out of her ass. Wasn't great, to be honest.

What I also found strange was the people, fellow dog-walkers, that only spoke to you for the first time because you had a dog. In some cases, who'd been walking past you for years. It's like a secret society, the Freemasons or something. They would the following day remember the dog's name, rank, serial number, breed etc etc, but not who you were, your wife or children. I thought that was odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here