Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martyn Blyth - RIP

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
This will have no relevance to 99.9% of the posties on the board but if you knew Martyn, he was a top, top man. Sadly Martyn died on the 4th of July in Phoenix, Arizona aged just 52 years from the dreaded C. Martyn worked for American Express in Brighton for many years before relocating out to the States.

Not only a great colleague to the Amex guys who post here (Pasty?) Martyn was a good and loyal Albion man and there are many, many funny stories that could be told especially the famous journey to Hereford United for the famous match. It's a tragedy that he's gone but I am pretty sure he will be with us when Falmer opens!

RIP mate.

:down: :amex:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
So sad, Martyn was a great mate and a Darlo fan at heart but used to come to Albion games.My favourite memory and I have loads, is that a mates posh wedding in a castle in sussex, he lent over to me during the prayers and eat my carnation and did npt spit it out !!!!

A great mate and a character, RIP old boy.....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im genuinly shocked by this news.
I worked with Martyn for many years on shift at Amex in the old Network operating center.
Top man with a love of Austin Healeys and a strange love of Darlington as I remember.
Im really shocked.
RIP and condolences to his wife and kids.

SarahBlyth

Jul 6, 2010
brighton
my dad

hi everyone,

A friend came across this thread today and I just want to say how lovely it is to hear such nice and funny stories about my lovely dad! My dad was a wonderful person who would be overwhelmed by the amount of messages and thoughts from everyone. I am now registered with this forum so if anyone wants to email me then please feel free it would be lovely to hear from you.

Thankyou

Sarah Blyth x

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I didn't know Mr Blyth, but he sounds like one of life's real characters who has died far too young.
Condolences to his friends on this board, and to his family too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't know the chap but there were certainly some characters working at Amex whilst I was there in 1977-78. Condolences to his family.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
R.I.P

My dad has great memories of trips watching albion and england in the 70's/80s with martyn and the time working with him at amex:amex:,god bless to you mate and your family,from the clarke family:clap:

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Sarah....your father was a fantastic character and very well respected by his colleagues. I will email you separately but just too say that I will be looking to get a few (and that could be quite a few) of the guys that went to the footie with him and also worked with him for a drink to celebrate his life rather than mourn his passing. I think he would have liked that.

:cheers:

memories of martyn

Sarah....your father was a fantastic character and very well respected by his colleagues. I will email you separately but just too say that I will be looking to get a few (and that could be quite a few) of the guys that went to the footie with him and also worked with him for a drink to celebrate his life rather than mourn his passing. I think he would have liked that.

:cheers:

I have a couple old photo's circa 77 of martyn need help to post them,any help appreciated. thanks

Pics of Martyn

Just having a go hope the pics come out.

Shammo

Jan 31, 2005
Burgess Hill
Met Martyn a couple of times....the last time was during the last World Cup i think it was, at a colleagues BBQ.........a real character.........condolencies to you Sarah and the rest of your family.May he Rest In Peace.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not only a great colleague to the Amex guys who post here (Pasty?) Martyn was a good and loyal Albion man and there are many, many funny stories that could be told especially the famous journey to Hereford United for the famous match.

Shocking news indeed Bombardier. That Hereford day was one I shall certainly never ever forget and you are right, Martyn's name often crops up during reminiscence.

RIP Martyn.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
No. I'm devastated. 30 odd years ago we used to go all over to watch the Albion. He even came to my wedding.

Chris Tampsett, Ian Grant, Roddy Clarke, Rory, Rob, Joe, Me (John) - we use to have such a laugh.

This is a very sad day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here