Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL Tour de France, thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So here we go, Le Tour is just about here, I for one can't wait.
It certainly should be a good one, with cobbles in the first week, The Alps in the second, finishing off at the Tourmalet.
Plus NSC favourite cyclist Rydal Hysdel, will be there, although very much in a supporting role.

My predictions are:-
Overall
Alberto Contador
Andy Schleck
Roman Kreuziger

Green Jersey
Tyler Farrar
Mark Cavendish
Thor Hushovd

KoM
Robert Genisk

Prologue winner
Cancellara

Champs Elysees
Tyler Farrar.

Sorry Brad & Cav, I hope I'm wrong.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with Contador and A Schleck as 1 and 2 ... but perhaps Brad can just sneak in at 3

I think too many people are gunning for Cav for him to win Green

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Yellow

1. Contador
2. Basso
3. Wiggins

Green
Its Cav!!! Colombia have put all their eggs in one basket for this one but it really does depend on whether he finishes as there are a lot of hills this year.

White
Stephen Roach

Polka
Contador this is where the whole thing will be won.

Prologue

1. Cancellara
2. Contador
3. Wiggins

Most aggressive rider
Wiggins

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Wa hooo

Off tonight to Rotterdam, will miss the Cricket to see Wiggo and the Sky team get a great start to this years tour. Lets hope all the investment pays off, Geraint Thomas and Boasson Hagen are in fantastic form lets hope they get some time in the sun to have a go, however I imagine this team will be all about protecting Wiggo and seeing how high he can finish.

Sky Professional Cycling Team

31 Bradley Wiggins (GBr)
32 Michael Barry (Can)
33 Steven Cummings (GBr)
34 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa)
35 Simon Gerrans (Aus)
36 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor)
37 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe)
38 Serge Pauwels (Bel)
39 Geraint Thomas (GBr)

Contador looks unbeatable so the other teams may try and get some time on him around the big climbs and hope he has a technical problem or fall.

Bloody excited.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can't wait. I'm actually more excited about the Tour than I was about the World Cup, which surprises me.

I'm not sure Contador is going to have it all his own way though. His team is weak and if the others gang up on him they could make him struggle on the climbs. That being said I think he will still win it just not as easily as some believe. Stat Brother you beat me to the Kreuziger shout. I expect him to be right up there and for that reason Basso will be further down as he will be supporting him. Wiggins will finish top 5 but I don't think he has the ability to attack in the mountains and take time off the other GC contenders, he will be able to stick with them just not beat them.

On the green jersey Cav will have his work cut out, the route this year is pretty brutal and with everyone else hating him it will be a massive achievement to get green. Hushovd to win it again I'm afraid.

No idea on the Polka Dot jersey, someone will go on a long break on a hilly stage. For example stage 7 then keep picking up the points elsewhere to keep the jersey. Could be anyone.

Absolutely cannot wait. There is a preview on ITV 4 tonight at 7:00 and live coverage everyday too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't, for one second, believe anyone other than perhaps Andy Schleck riding away from Contador's wheel.
I think they will go for him in the first week, when Astana will have too many teams to cover.

And for the record, I don't think Lance will even finish.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I don't, for one second, believe anyone other than perhaps Andy Schleck riding away from Contador's wheel.
I think they will go for him in the first week, when Astana will have too many teams to cover.

And for the record, I don't think Lance will even finish.

I agree to an extent, I don't see any individual being able to ride away from Contador but if the strong teams keep the pace high and Contador ends up alone on the climbs who knows what might happen?

I may be just trying to convince myself that he won't win. I am so bored of single rider dynasties dominating cycling.

Lance will finish in my opinion, he will do enough all the way through and probably finish in the top 10. Unless Radio Shack's dads army are finally too old.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Cant wait for it all to begin now. Im afraid I cant see past Contador again for the GC. Hopefully Wiggins will sneek 3rd but he will have to go some to topple Schleck, Basso, and a departing Armstrong. Mind You, he did have a good ride in the giro (apart from falling away a bit in the final week). I reckon Cav Should be favorate for the green, but I could possibly see that git Hushovd beating him again. I think Bossan-hagen will possibly take a stage for Sky, Who, themslves may have a shot at the Team Competition.

The KOTM is a tough one to call this year.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Prologue predictions. It is gonna be really quick especially if it isn't too windy. Can't see beyond Cancellara for this one, second Millar, third Zabriskie. Wiggins to finish first of the GC contenders with Contador close behind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I enjoyed the coverage last night.
Will Ned be back from S.Africa for any of Le Tour, he certainly got into the habit of asking the right question at the right time.

Both the Cav and Wiggins interviews were very good.
Cav's certainly made me doubt my preditition he wouldn't win green!.

Today has to be Cancellara's, esp after what Brad said, and if Contador (and Pantani) are going for Millar, who am I to disagree.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I enjoyed the coverage last night.
Will Ned be back from S.Africa for any of Le Tour, he certainly got into the habit of asking the right question at the right time.

Both the Cav and Wiggins interviews were very good.
Cav's certainly made me doubt my preditition he wouldn't win green!.

Today has to be Cancellara's, esp after what Brad said, and if Contador (and Pantani) are going for Millar, who am I to disagree.

Ned is back after the World Cup apparently. So will miss the first week and a bit, I think. Although he may want to see his family or something, so maybe not until the final week.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Disaster for Wiggins. That was a terrible ride, something is not right for him to be that far behind wet or not. Plaudits to Thomas though what a ride, this lad is gonna be a star in a few years. Strong from Millar too.

Cancellara is just a machine though, nothing can stop him in time trials. Though I do wonder if Martin could have been closer if he had riiden in the dry. Armstrong unfortunately looked very good, I hope this is just a flash in the pan though. Don't think I can handle another three weeks of the Armstrong show.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can't wait. I'm actually more excited about the Tour than I was about the World Cup, which surprises me.

I'm not sure Contador is going to have it all his own way though. His team is weak and if the others gang up on him they could make him struggle on the climbs. That being said I think he will still win it just not as easily as some believe. Stat Brother you beat me to the Kreuziger shout. I expect him to be right up there and for that reason Basso will be further down as he will be supporting him. Wiggins will finish top 5 but I don't think he has the ability to attack in the mountains and take time off the other GC contenders, he will be able to stick with them just not beat them.

On the green jersey Cav will have his work cut out, the route this year is pretty brutal and with everyone else hating him it will be a massive achievement to get green. Hushovd to win it again I'm afraid.

No idea on the Polka Dot jersey, someone will go on a long break on a hilly stage. For example stage 7 then keep picking up the points elsewhere to keep the jersey. Could be anyone.

Absolutely cannot wait. There is a preview on ITV 4 tonight at 7:00 and live coverage everyday too.

Betting Odds.
#
Gives a clue to the probable result:

UCI Pro Cycling Betting: Giro, Vuelta, Tour de France Betting Odds | bwin

I can't get ITV4 on my Freeview. It says No Signal. Any ideas why? Is this standard or just my poor reception area with a high gain aerial. I can't get Channel Five either.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Disaster for Wiggins. That was a terrible ride, something is not right for him to be that far behind wet or not. Plaudits to Thomas though what a ride, this lad is gonna be a star in a few years. Strong from Millar too.

Cancellara is just a machine though, nothing can stop him in time trials. Though I do wonder if Martin could have been closer if he had riiden in the dry. Armstrong unfortunately looked very good, I hope this is just a flash in the pan though. Don't think I can handle another three weeks of the Armstrong show.

Wiggins is 56 seconds down. What was his expected time loss to the yellow jersey leader? 77th. 29 seconds down on Cantandor.

Betting:
Leipheimer (too old now) at 100/1. Vinokourov (previously banned) is the same.

Tour de France 2010 - Rider -25- Levi LEIPHEIMER

Last edited:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
An absolutly terrible ride by Wiggins, Doesnt bode well for the next 3 weeks. But an excellent ride by Geriant Thomas, He will win A grand tour in the futrue! Millar didnt discrace himself either. They were beaten by possibly the greatest TT rider ever!

Today is Cavs first chance at a stage win, But its a difficult finish as there are lots of roundabouts in the final few Kms, so there could be a few crashes.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wiggins is 56 seconds down. What was his expected time loss to the yellow jersey leader? 77th. 29 seconds down on Cantandor.

Leipheimer and Castre both at 100/1. Vinokourov is the same.

I would say Wiggins would be expected to be ahead of all the other GC contenders after the Prologue, at the very least he should only be a few seconds behind Contador.

Those odds are crazy, Contador is 2-1 ON, in a 200 person race. There is some serious value in each way betting. Evans 25-1 stands out for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here