Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's the BEST place to buy a bicycle in Brighton &/or Hove?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Used to be a good bike shop on Kingston Broadway in Shoreham just down from M&S / Tescos. No sure what it’s like now – but very easy parking.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It's a shame the Boardman range gets tarred with that brush, as they are very well, if not the best, speced bikes within each price bracket.

True enough, Boardman bikes are very good. However, each bike was probably put together by a 16 year old with no qualifications and if anything goes wrong you will be best off taking the bike back to real bike shop.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you a £100 it will be naff. £200 minimum for a new one. You might have to pay more. I think Halfords are OK for quality, but not quite so for price, except when they do their Special Offers.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I apologise if this has been said already, but there are some bargains to be had (reconditioned) in... I've completely forgotten the name. West of the West Pier, a mews type street a road inland. f***ing hell, I've been gone too long. Google shall hopefully help me. My mountain bike was fine and set mew back £75 for the bike, lights and a lock.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I apologise if this has been said already, but there are some bargains to be had (reconditioned) in... I've completely forgotten the name. West of the West Pier, a mews type street a road inland. f***ing hell, I've been gone too long. Google shall hopefully help me. My mountain bike was fine and set mew back £75 for the bike, lights and a lock.

G Whizz cycles. A very good shout actually. Well worth checking out.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Scott Sportster P6 Gents 2010 - 329.00 - Cycles UK

What do you think of this one Pantani. i quite like the look of it but dont no much to be honest!!

Pretty decent bike those. Good hybrid, quite thin wheels so nice and quick. They stock them in Evans so you can try them out there too. They tend to come up big from what I remember, so bear that in mind.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Pretty decent bike those. Good hybrid, quite thin wheels so nice and quick. They stock them in Evans so you can try them out there too. They tend to come up big from what I remember, so bear that in mind.

nice one thanks i have got it on the Evans site now same price too. Would much rather go to them than order it online!

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
True enough, Boardman bikes are very good. However, each bike was probably put together by a 16 year old with no qualifications and if anything goes wrong you will be best off taking the bike back to real bike shop.

Wrong. Only a limited amount of Halfords stores in the region are certified to distribute Boardman bikes. To do so, the manager of the Bikehut of said Halfords store is required to go on a three-day training course to make sure they're up to it. Usually only the sales manager can touch Boardmans.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wrong. Only a limited amount of Halfords stores in the region are certified to distribute Boardman bikes. To do so, the manager of the Bikehut of said Halfords store is required to go on a three-day training course to make sure they're up to it. Usually only the sales manager can touch Boardmans.

So one person per Bike Hut has a Cytech 1 qualification (this is all you can learn in three days). Big woop. Most other shops will have mechanics with Cytech 2 as a minimum, and the majority of them will be Cytech 3

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Brighton train station take both of these babies though..........

Attachments

• E0112&3-Cutters.jpg
    E0112&3-Cutters.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 115

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
So one person per Bike Hut has a Cytech 1 qualification (this is all you can learn in three days). Big woop. Most other shops will have mechanics with Cytech 2 as a minimum, and the majority of them will be Cytech 3

At least one mechanic has at least Cytech One if not greater. I am not being drawn into a binfest

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
At least one mechanic has at least Cytech One if not greater. I am not being drawn into a binfest

Me either. I am glad that they are at least training their staff now. It will take a lot before I stop seeing Halfords as all that is wrong with cycle retailing in this country though.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
TRHK Jnr is thinking about buying a Big BMX (Big BMX) - seems to be a bit of a case of emperor's new clothes - no suspension, no gears, big tyres.

bike_blue.jpg

They reckon its good for around town and off-road (he'll mainly be riding on roads for Uni and fancies a bit of off-road). Can't see how this is the answer. Any thoughts from the cycle experts would be appreciated.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
TRHK Jnr is thinking about buying a Big BMX (Big BMX) - seems to be a bit of a case of emperor's new clothes - no suspension, no gears, big tyres.

bike_blue.jpg

They reckon its good for around town and off-road (he'll mainly be riding on roads for Uni and fancies a bit of off-road). Can't see how this is the answer. Any thoughts from the cycle experts would be appreciated.

They're a funny one these bikes (I started off trying to be balanced, but am shocked at how bad this bike appears to be). They are not as sturdy as to be fully off road compatible. The wheels are quite prone to buckling as they follow BMX designs but are much larger therefore weaker. They will be slow compared to mountain bikes, stupid small chainring at the front, none of the components are named so are almost certainly low quality. Looked around for the price too, £330. Do not touch this shit with a barge pole. You could get a single speed, no problems bike, a million times better for the same price. Would be fun to ride though.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Used to be a good bike shop on Kingston Broadway in Shoreham just down from M&S / Tescos. No sure what it’s like now – but very easy parking.

I live about 20 seconds away. :wave: It's good enough in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here