Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film Watch: The Illusionist - Tonight - ITV - 10:35

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The Illusionist (2006)
Premiere. In early 20th-century Vienna, a man becomes obsessed with the art of conjuring after an encounter with a travelling magician. He decides to leave his homeland to explore the world and perfect his skills. He returns years later a very talented illusionist, and is bent on using his gift to save the love of his life from a marriage to a cruel and vicious prince. Mystery thriller, starring Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, Jessica Biel and Rufus Sewell

Brilliant film.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Tis a very good film.I haven't enjoyed a good film for ages untill i watched this.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
7.7/10 from 88,572 votes at IMDB.com...gotta be good then, will watch it tonight cheers SAM :thumbsup:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
You won't be disappointed.

On the main online TV Guide I use it's got a rating of 9.5 from 75 votes, and the ratings on there are normally pretty low.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Settled down, and got the ice cream ready. Let the entertainment commence.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tell you another good magician film - that one with Christian Bale, Sir Michael Caine and that Aussie X-man.

Great twist at the end, too.

I loved the illusionist. As Algie says - a great film.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tell you another good magician film - that one with Christian Bale, Sir Michael Caine and that Aussie X-man.

Great twist at the end, too.

I loved the illusionist. As Algie says - a great film.

Yup - The Prestige.

I think that was a bit overshadowed by the Illusionist as they came out around roughly the same time, love both but I reckon The Prestige is slightly better, more complex and a lot more left unexplained at the end.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I found the illusionist to be far too predictable, and I just don't get the appeal of Jessica Biel. I preferred the Prestige by far.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I got tired half-way through so Sky+ed the rest, seemed alright but nothing brilliant about it...yet!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
It's all about the ending Marc. Keep going.

Haven't seen the Prestige. Will check it out. :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's all about the ending Marc. Keep going.

Haven't seen the Prestige. Will check it out. :thumbsup:

The Prestige ending will keep you wondering for MONTHS. There's places on the internet where people still debate it and don't agree on exactly what happened.

Plus it has David BOWIE in it, which immediately makes it amazing. Oh and Scarlett Johanssen.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Corrrr

jessica_biel1ALT_300_400.jpg
vs
scarett_johansson1a_300_400.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ironically, that is supposedly Bale's natural accent.

The prestige also has:

The lovely Rebecca Hall

rebeccahall-715982.jpg

and

The lovely Piper Perabo

piper-perabo-06.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can I just say to those above who recommended The Prestige - what a pile of absolute shit, I just don't get why anyone could possibly rate that film at all - boring, convoluted, badly acted and generally just a shite story line. I bought it (second hand thankfully) on Amazon after seeing some of the comments above, along with a second hand copy of The Illusionist, which I haven't, and won't bother to watch seeing as it is apparently rated as 'worse' than The Prestige!! Both are being dumped out for charity bag collection later this week.

:)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blimey. And I thought it had a fascinating and intriguing story line that keeps you coming back for multiple viewings.

I'm STILL not 100% now on exactly what happened with a few of the subplots, and the last split second of the film (before the sublime Analyse by Thom Yorke kicks in) raises about 20 questions on its' own.

Still, each to their own.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Blimey. And I thought it had a fascinating and intriguing story line that keeps you coming back for multiple viewings.

I'm STILL not 100% now on exactly what happened with a few of the subplots, and the last split second of the film (before the sublime Analyse by Thom Yorke kicks in) raises about 20 questions on its' own.

Still, each to their own.

I absolutely love The Prestige. Brilliant twists but also a great film in its own right. Once of my favourite films of the Noughties.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Plus, Christopher Nolan is shaping up to be a SUPERB director -

Memento
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight

and now Inception looks pretty special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here