Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chefs... What can I replace coconut milk with in a curry?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Quick question, but what is a suitable replacement in stuff like curries for coconut milk in a recipe? I don't like coconuts!

Could I just use evapourated milk instead?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine natural yoghurt would work, though it's thicker so you wouldn't need as much. To avoid curdling you might need to add some corn flour, or something similar, or add it toward the end when you're not heating it.

Or maybe try a different curry recipe that doesn't use coconut milk?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Passata would probably work, for a creamy tomato texture. I'm not keen on Coconuts either, but I like coconut milk especially in Thai currys

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I imagine natural yoghurt would work, though it's thicker so you wouldn't need as much. To avoid curdling you might need to add some corn flour, or something similar, or add it toward the end when you're not heating it.

Or maybe try a different curry recipe that doesn't use coconut milk?

Agree with that espeically the yoghurt bit.I don't like coconut milk in curries,it's vile.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Our local curryhouse use seamen when they run out of yoghurt or coconut milk. Maybe that's because I don't tip the delivery man though.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nooooooooooooooo, you clearly have never tried my SeaBass Penang Algie!
Another criminal offence,fishy curries.I don't mind a few prawns in the rice but that's about it.Not saying i don't like fish becuase i do(well most) just not in curries.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If you cook it down far enough, it doesn't really taste like coconut, especially as it's usually used with strong spices. However, yoghurt is much more widely used in curries, coconut is only common in Southern indian cooking, although more widely used in Thai and Malaysian cooking.

Incidentally, I cooked a Biryani at the w/e for the first time. I have always shied away from trying to cook one as the recipes usually look quite complex, buit I found a good version, and I have to say, it was probably the nearest to restaurant quality Indian dish I have ever cooked. None of the "british" veg curry on the side that you always get either. I was once told that having a veg curry on the side of a Biryani was like a brit having fish & chips on the same plate as roast beef.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Another criminal offence,fishy curries.I don't mind a few prawns in the rice but that's about it.Not saying i don't like fish becuase i do(well most) just not in curries.

I cook a fish curry almost every week, add some Tamarind 10 minutes before the end, delish.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
another vote for yoghurt here, put it in towards the end or bit by bit till you get the consistency you want. make sure there are tons of herbs spices in it etc as the yoghurt will dampen down the flavour

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here