Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed Cameras -

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
This morning I got flashed (by a speed camera!) on the opposite side of the road to the markings and going in the opposite direction. I was being naughty and doing about 40 in a 30 zone. I can't get done for this, can I?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Nope, I've been done many times going up Coldean lane/Ditchling Road and has the camera flash, never had a ticket

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
markings are on the other side of the road so not possible to judge the speed is it?

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
There is no legal reason to have markings on the road. If the cameras are calibrated at the required intervals that is all that is required for the ticket to succeed. The markings are only used as a check.

In Sussex the cameras are rear facing so if they flash as you approach no ticket will be issued.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just been flashed coming out of Brighton towards Hollingbury up Ditchling Rd and the camera flashed does this one work both ways going in and out of Brighton.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Just been flashed coming out of Brighton towards Hollingbury up Ditchling Rd and the camera flashed does this one work both ways going in and out of Brighton.

The older style Gatsco camera's can only catch you if they're on the side of the road you're travelling & they catch your rear licence plate. They do not work for oncoming traffic.

There are many of the newer type in Kent. They are on the side of the road you are travelling & face towards oncoming traffic. Far more chance of getting nicked by one of these. Haven't noticed any in Sussex apart from one on test on the southbound A24 near Buckbarn junction sometime ago. No idea if it's still there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mt wife has just been zapped doing 55mph on the A24 going north towards Bucks Barn. There was no other car on our lane but one speeding down the other lane, southbound. We travel down this road regularly and she is well aware of the cameras and maintains that she was doing 55 mph on the 60mph.

I seem to remember somebody saying the same happend to him/her on that stretch of road but cannot find it on here anywhere.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Mt wife has just been zapped doing 55mph on the A24 going north towards Bucks Barn. There was no other car on our lane but one speeding down the other lane, southbound. We travel down this road regularly and she is well aware of the cameras and maintains that she was doing 55 mph on the 60mph.

I seem to remember somebody saying the same happend to him/her on that stretch of road but cannot find it on here anywhere.

It might be faulty but if not ask for a certificate of calibration.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

If she was doing an indicated 55, she was probably going about 52. To get flashed she would have to be doing an indicated 70(ish).

they definately do spot cars speeding the other side though.

It might be faulty but if not ask for a certificate of calibration.

No, don't. I've read this advice a lot and it doesn't work like that.

It works like this:
below a certain speed you get offered a fixed penalty - £60 and 3 points.
You can choose not to pay this and go to court. In court you will be asked if you are guilty or not guilty. In order to challenge the prosecution's case you have to plead not guilty.
you can then, as part of your defence, challenge the calibration and ask for the certificate. If (and it's a big if) you can persuade the magistrates (or district Judge) hearing the trial that the device is faulty then you will likely be found not guilty.
If the prosecution sucessfully argue that the camera isn't faulty, then you will likely be found guilty. You will then get 3 (or more) points, a fine that is almost certainly more than £60 and costs - in the region of £400 for a full trial. The prosecution may ask for additional costs if an expert witness was called.

The camera takes 2 photos and the radar calculated speed is compared to the distance travelled (photos show road markings and time stamps). If there is a discrepancy then they are unlikely to proceed.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If she was doing an indicated 55, she was probably going about 52. To get flashed she would have to be doing an indicated 70(ish).

they definately do spot cars speeding the other side though.

No, don't. I've read this advice a lot and it doesn't work like that.

It works like this:
below a certain speed you get offered a fixed penalty - £60 and 3 points.
You can choose not to pay this and go to court. In court you will be asked if you are guilty or not guilty. In order to challenge the prosecution's case you have to plead not guilty.
you can then, as part of your defence, challenge the calibration and ask for the certificate. If (and it's a big if) you can persuade the magistrates (or district Judge) hearing the trial that the device is faulty then you will likely be found not guilty.
If the prosecution sucessfully argue that the camera isn't faulty, then you will likely be found guilty. You will then get 3 (or more) points, a fine that is almost certainly more than £60 and costs - in the region of £400 for a full trial. The prosecution may ask for additional costs if an expert witness was called.

The camera takes 2 photos and the radar calculated speed is compared to the distance travelled (photos show road markings and time stamps). If there is a discrepancy then they are unlikely to proceed.

In this case, if she is absolutely sure she was under the limit, it might be worth doing.

A ticket might never arrive, of course.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You have answered your own question. If she was doing 55 or less and it flashed her it is faulty.

The problem is proving her innocence which is totally against the concept of british justice where a person is innocent until proved guilty, that is unless it is a motoring offence.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The problem is proving her innocence which is totally against the concept of british justice where a person is innocent until proved guilty, that is unless it is a motoring offence.

Obviously wait and see if a ticket appears (I believe they only get so long to do it) then decide if you want to consult a lawyer.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Why? They cover a lot more ground than the police can (with cuts to come). I really don't see the problem of speed cameras. Don't speed and you won't have to pay a fine.

I think there should be more outside schools.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here