Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    A refresher...

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you want REMF to be involved in the marathon as an official charity (i.e. do it properly, reap the benefits of being an official charity and maximise your fund raising-as Argus charity of the year you are in a good position to get on board) you have, I believe, until this coming Friday to apply for 2011 status.

You will then get a set of 'gold bond' entries. These are the 'raise a set amount and you can run' entries. Do not give these to anyone you know..otherwise you will cannibalise the fund raising. Give these to unknowns. There are ways and means to do this. It's a national event and I guess demand will be even higher next year, it wont be difficult to get shot of the gold entries. Then round up all the people you do know and get them to run for you as well.....but not on gold tickets.

This is all standard marathon fund raising stuff, which has been done time and time again including at yesterday's race. I'm sure the organisers will give you further pointers.

You'll make a tidy sum.

This information has been given for free.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Abort, retry, fail Barrel of Fun's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I'll do it if you are short on numbers.

I'm giving up smoking on Sunday and joining my local gym.
      You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bracknell View Post
      Why not use the REMF website as a way of recruiting runners?

NSC will only attract participants who are prepared to register. The REMF site is potentially accessible to far more runners.

Robert Eaton Memorial Fund homepage
      The best place to advertise these spots will be on runners sites and on the official Brighton marathon site's charity section.

If however, REMF has more places than it can fill (highly unlikely) then it might be a good idea, but that should be with the proviso that anyone applying to REMF should not simply be handed a place. We all know that the REMF site is clicked on predominantly by NSCers, which of course gives you the problem of "canibalising donations" as Herr Tubthumper puts it.
      Last edited by Simster; 23-04-2010 at 15:10.
      Abort, retry, fail Barrel of Fun's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barrel of Fun View Post
      I'll do it if you are short on numbers.

I'm giving up smoking on Sunday and joining my local gym.
      But only as a reserve, as the gentlemen above me make a very good point that I had not considered.
      You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      The best place to advertise these spots will be on runners sites and on the official Brighton marathon site's charity section.

If however, REMF has more places than it can fill (highly unlikely) then it might be a good idea, but that should be with the proviso that anyone applying to REMF should not simply be handed a place. We all know that the REMF site is clicked on predominantly by NSCers, which of course gives you the problem of "canibalising donations" as Herr Tubthumper puts it.
      Agreed.

But the REMF site has only recently been re-launched. The potential for promoting REMF through that site hasn't yet been properly worked up. And there is scope for making contact with runners' sites and and on Brighton Marathon ā€“ Home

All that is needed is some structured forward planning.
      не съгласявам се!

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barrel of Fun View Post
      But only as a reserve, as the gentlemen above me make a very good point that I had not considered.
      They're not saying don't run it Paul. Absoutely, you should register to run yourself, and if you choose to raise sponsorship for REMF that's great.

What they are saying is don't give away these bond spots [which involve basically BUYING your place from a charity in return for a fixed sum raised] to people who would already be happy to raise for this cause anyway.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      It'll do no harm Ed, but ultimately you cannot get away from the fact that anyone considering running a marathon for charity will go to a runner's site or the marathon site for information on how to do that.

In other words, people specifically considering running a marathon will say: "I fancy running a marathon. Now where do I find a charity who will get me a place?"
      They don't say: "I wonder whether REMF has charity places available for the Brighton marathon?"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      They're not saying don't run it Paul. Absoutely, you should register to run yourself, and if you choose to raise sponsorship for REMF that's great.

What they are saying is don't give away these bond spots [which involve basically BUYING your place from a charity in return for a fixed sum raised] to people who would already be happy to raise for this cause anyway.
      Exactly. Paul and Pete and various other NSCers already considering running it should simply apply off their own backs, and not use up a valuable gold bond place. If those applications are rejected, *then* approach REMF (or any other charity) for a gold bond place.
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      Exactly. Paul and Pete and various other NSCers already considering running it should simply apply off their own backs, and not use up a valuable gold bond place. If those applications are rejected, *then* approach REMF (or any other charity) for a gold bond place.
      Crikey, when you spell it out like that, it all seems so SIMPLE.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Why not aim for someone connected with Palace or the Albion to run. If he was to run Gus could generate free PR for the REMF (getting his marathon story into the tabloids/BBC/meridian news) he could also use his contacts gained around other teams etc for sponsorship.