Shelley Carter

Head of Charity and Planning

Brighton Marathon

Who is in ?.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I've have no excuses now. We are in and NSC voted 70/30 for me to run.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Well done, Gareth. But please train for the event. Starting now. I know it is wonderful to be inspired into doing a marathon but good intentions alone won't get you through the 26 miles. Especially if you don't take a lot of exercise now and are more, er, mature in years!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well done, Gareth. But please train for the event. Starting now. I know it is wonderful to be inspired into doing a marathon but good intentions alone won't get you through the 26 miles. Especially if you don't take a lot of exercise now and are more, er, mature in years!

Roz I MUST give up the coffins sticks thats plan 1, start walking more often and longer which will keep my Dog happy, get a bike, join the gym and then start the running campaign from October onwards. The whisky will have to be moderated as well but as for the red wine that is a step too far.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks Gareth,

I will add you to the list for 2011 charity places

Kind regards

Shelley Carter

Head of Charity and Planning

Brighton Marathon

Who is in ?.
Great news, but don't just give them to NSC people FFS! You need to cast the net wider to maximise contributions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Which part of the advice you got about how you should distribute REMF places did you not understand?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By all means get a NSC team together but do it outside of the 'gold bond' entries. Give these to people who, at the very least, are not connected to NSC otherwise a) you will cannibalise donations and b) it will actually cost you money as you need to pay for the bonds......i.e. you will be paying for someone who would run and raise money for you anyway.

Is it groundhog day?

Great news, but don't just give them to NSC people FFS! You need to cast the net wider to maximise contributions.
Why not use the REMF website as a way of recruiting runners?

NSC will only attract participants who are prepared to register. The REMF site is potentially accessible to far more runners.

Robert Eaton Memorial Fund homepage

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A refresher...

If you want REMF to be involved in the marathon as an official charity (i.e. do it properly, reap the benefits of being an official charity and maximise your fund raising-as Argus charity of the year you are in a good position to get on board) you have, I believe, until this coming Friday to apply for 2011 status.

You will then get a set of 'gold bond' entries. These are the 'raise a set amount and you can run' entries. Do not give these to anyone you know..otherwise you will cannibalise the fund raising. Give these to unknowns. There are ways and means to do this. It's a national event and I guess demand will be even higher next year, it wont be difficult to get shot of the gold entries. Then round up all the people you do know and get them to run for you as well.....but not on gold tickets.

This is all standard marathon fund raising stuff, which has been done time and time again including at yesterday's race. I'm sure the organisers will give you further pointers.

You'll make a tidy sum.

This information has been given for free.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why not use the REMF website as a way of recruiting runners?

NSC will only attract participants who are prepared to register. The REMF site is potentially accessible to far more runners.

Robert Eaton Memorial Fund homepage
The best place to advertise these spots will be on runners sites and on the official Brighton marathon site's charity section.

If however, REMF has more places than it can fill (highly unlikely) then it might be a good idea, but that should be with the proviso that anyone applying to REMF should not simply be handed a place. We all know that the REMF site is clicked on predominantly by NSCers, which of course gives you the problem of "canibalising donations" as Herr Tubthumper puts it.

Last edited:

The best place to advertise these spots will be on runners sites and on the official Brighton marathon site's charity section.

If however, REMF has more places than it can fill (highly unlikely) then it might be a good idea, but that should be with the proviso that anyone applying to REMF should not simply be handed a place. We all know that the REMF site is clicked on predominantly by NSCers, which of course gives you the problem of "canibalising donations" as Herr Tubthumper puts it.
Agreed.

But the REMF site has only recently been re-launched. The potential for promoting REMF through that site hasn't yet been properly worked up. And there is scope for making contact with runners' sites and and on Brighton Marathon – Home

All that is needed is some structured forward planning.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But only as a reserve, as the gentlemen above me make a very good point that I had not considered.

They're not saying don't run it Paul. Absoutely, you should register to run yourself, and if you choose to raise sponsorship for REMF that's great.

What they are saying is don't give away these bond spots [which involve basically BUYING your place from a charity in return for a fixed sum raised] to people who would already be happy to raise for this cause anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It'll do no harm Ed, but ultimately you cannot get away from the fact that anyone considering running a marathon for charity will go to a runner's site or the marathon site for information on how to do that.

In other words, people specifically considering running a marathon will say: "I fancy running a marathon. Now where do I find a charity who will get me a place?"
They don't say: "I wonder whether REMF has charity places available for the Brighton marathon?"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They're not saying don't run it Paul. Absoutely, you should register to run yourself, and if you choose to raise sponsorship for REMF that's great.

What they are saying is don't give away these bond spots [which involve basically BUYING your place from a charity in return for a fixed sum raised] to people who would already be happy to raise for this cause anyway.

Exactly. Paul and Pete and various other NSCers already considering running it should simply apply off their own backs, and not use up a valuable gold bond place. If those applications are rejected, *then* approach REMF (or any other charity) for a gold bond place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exactly. Paul and Pete and various other NSCers already considering running it should simply apply off their own backs, and not use up a valuable gold bond place. If those applications are rejected, *then* approach REMF (or any other charity) for a gold bond place.

Crikey, when you spell it out like that, it all seems so SIMPLE.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Why not aim for someone connected with Palace or the Albion to run. If he was to run Gus could generate free PR for the REMF (getting his marathon story into the tabloids/BBC/meridian news) he could also use his contacts gained around other teams etc for sponsorship.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here