Dorset

Attachments

• southend-utd-given-go-ahead-for-new-fossetts-farm-stadium-$7011127$300.jpg
    southend-utd-given-go-ahead-for-new-fossetts-farm-stadium-$7011127$300.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3,106

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's a joke these days that skint / broke doesnt mean that at all. Teams like Leeds and Southampton both spending up a year since the begging bowl was out makes a mockery of the whole system.
Pompey should get wound up but we know they are likely to be saved and then next year suddenly have cash to spend.

Bloody sure if what happened to us had happened in this day and age then selling the goldstone wouldn't of even be dared used as an excuse. We would of just gone into admin and carried on

Bollocks all of it

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Despite it’s ridiculous exterior I quite like the look of it but how a club that has struggled to pay £180,000 to the tax man can afford to build such a stadium is beyond me! More tall tales from their chairman me thinks!

Attachments

• 080908-southend.jpg
    080908-southend.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,570

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
look how LUCKY they are to have all that extra space for training pitches :angry:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Didn't HMRC refer to Southend as'technically insolvent? How the hell can they start work on a new stadium?

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
Despite it’s ridiculous exterior I quite like the look of it but how a club that has struggled to pay £180,000 to the tax man can afford to build such a stadium is beyond me! More tall tales from their chairman me thinks!

The money earmarked for the Fossetts Farm development is actually coming from Sainsbury's. The club have an agreement with the supermarket, who plan to build a massive superstore on the Roots Hall land once (if?) we ever move to Fossetts Farm. They even paid our last £2.1m tax bill.

If Fossetts Farm ever does happen, I'll be shopping at that supermarket forever more...

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
The money earmarked for the Fossetts Farm development is actually coming from Sainsbury's. The club have an agreement with the supermarket, who plan to build a massive superstore on the Roots Hall land once (if?) we ever move to Fossetts Farm. They even paid our last £2.1m tax bill.

If Fossetts Farm ever does happen, I'll be shopping at that supermarket forever more...

Yes i heard that yonks ago and they were suppose to be opening that ground the same season as us but obviously now it's delayed.Why is it any different now? Sainburys said this a while back.
Your chairman hasn't got two pennies to rub together so lets get real here.
Why have you sold your better players off? You can't even fill your subs bench if i'm correct?

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
I love that stadia that much I just made thousands of little cousins for it.

:facepalm:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What's the capacity?

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
Yes i heard that yonks ago and they were suppose to be opening that ground the same season as us but obviously now it's delayed.Why is it any different now? Sainburys said this a while back.
Your chairman hasn't got two pennies to rub together so lets get real here.
Why have you sold your better players off?

The original delay was caused by the recession - Ron Martin originally planned to finance the development with (for the most part) bank loans. According to him, he had the "fundamental blocks" for financing in place - then the credit crunch hit, and the banks withdrew their support.

Since then he's been working to find other methods to finance the project, and Sainsbury's appear to be the solution; financing the majority of the project in return for the Roots Hall land.

Apparently the latest delay is due to a number of nearby shopkeepers playing hard ball - the club need to purchase the small parade of shops that meet Victoria Avenue in order to build an access road to the new Sainsbury's supermarket. Without this land, the project is dead in the water...

Re: the club's finances - according to Martin, the Stadium and Club finances are completely unrelated, so even though we haven't got a pot to piss in, this shouldn't affect the stadium development. Though fans are *very* sceptical about that one as we've clearly been operating on a very tight budget and have been forced to sell off our prize assets (Barnard and Clarke) to stay afloat. Unfortunately it seems that'll be the case until we move to FF.

So as you can see, there are a LOT of ifs and buts. And if this project ever happens it'll be a bloody miracle. I'm not holding my breath though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here