Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer SHUNTWATCH

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In the first of an exciting new series, I am creating a thread to monitor the number of SHUNTS occurring on the stretch of A27 which passes by the most erotic building project ever undertaken in Sussex.

Anyone who has had the good fortune to have driven past the spectacular sweeping white arch which now towers over the trees will know that it is an ENORMOUSLY distracting sight for roadusers. My eyes are drawn inextricably towards it every time, and its only going to get worse as the West Stand takes shape. I know its probably just a matter of time before I batter some old dear up the rear end during an intense session of rubbernecking.

Hopefully nobody gets seriously hurt of course. But the proximity of this looming structure will inevitably, I think, be the cause of more to come.

Anyway, here's todays RTA.

Eleven vehicle shunt at Falmer causes traffic chaos From The Argus)

An 11-vehicle shunt on a slip road off the A27 brought major delays to westbound traffic this morning.

Traffic jams built up back to the Lewes bypass while the vehicles was cleared following the multiple collision on the Falmer slip road, near to the University of Sussex, at around 8.10am.

Most of the vehicles involved were able to be driven from the scene and the road was clear by 8.53am. However, the resulting congestion took some time to clear.

One woman was slightly injured and was treated by ambulance paramedics at the scene.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wrote my car off just outside the Uni of Sussex stone sign, in October last year. So the stadium was just about in sight and I was completely distracted.

Does that count?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely.
Retrospective shunts are always welcome. I've been noticing an increasing number of problems around there over the last few months on the traffic reports. Time to start DOCUMENTING them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In the snow I gave a lift to four people whose car had broken down on the slip road next to the University. Surely that could not be a co-incidence.

As it happens - they were en-route as visitors to Lewes prison.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is, to get to my girlfriend's house I go up that Falmer Hill slip road about twice a week, and it's always distraction mania. A woman last week was driving ONE HANDED in front of me and taking photos with a camera while driving. In the words of Ron Burgundy:

"I'm not even mad, that's amazing!"

I did two days on a Driver's Improvement Course for my SHUNT. That'll learn me.

Thing is it's a nightmare of a slip road to get onto in rush hour anyway, because it joins straight up from another feeder road coming up, so you only have a short amount of time to get onto it, it usually already has a big queue so you have to slow RIGHT down and get in the left lane while a number of people in the left lane are trying to get into the right lane. Pure madness, not helped by something rising from the ground that has DOUBLE the amount of arches WEMBLEY has.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also just two days ago I saw a car with hazards on at the start of that slip road, with a bloke in an RAC sauntering over to him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its going to turn into a hell of a blackspot there I reckons.
Good job this wasn't mentioned at the Inquiries.

"But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/vehicle collision"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3406779 said:
I've swerved into the neighbouring lane 2 or 3 times now when driving past it :facepalm:

I certainly wouldn't recommend doing FACEPALMS on your way past. Thats even worse.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Lets hope Jack Straw was not involved!! :eek:

"Jack Straws recent accident proved to be a blessing in disguise"

Attachments

• laurel and Hardy.jpg
    laurel and Hardy.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 166

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills