Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore in AUGUST?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
been in thailand that part of the year
not so bad most the imes it comes down for about a hour then back to sun
if its a two week holiday i would say no mre than two three days washed if you are unlucky

braintree

Jan 12, 2010
I've been to all 3 of those places independently August (wife is a teacher so stuck to school holidays) - never had a problem with rain, a few cloudy days and the odd shower.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Showers are usually heavy, but they don't last. The roads might get ankle deep in water for a bit, but it goes as soon as the rain stops. They have good drains there.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Might be as above but I've been in Thailand when it's up to your neck.

Never had it that bad myself. I was in Mysore in India once when it was up to thigh level. Wasn't even monsoon season either. Made it quite exciting walking down the street - you had to keep an eye out for the little whirlpools, because that meant there was an open manhole beneath you...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
SE Asian dry season July through October. Can't totally speak for Thailand (although I expect its the same) but that's certainly the case for Malaysia and Singapore.

That may be true of Kalimantan, but it's not a rule for the whole of the region is it? The rainy season in Sumatra starts in September, a good month or two before it reaches, say, Flores.

In west coast Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand the wet season is July to October (or thereabouts). East coast Peninsula Malaysia gets its rainy season November to Feb or thereabouts...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've just been to Thailand last month and if I go back it will definitely be in july-september time. Far too busy in peak season.

My birds' been travelling at that time of the year and she said it usually rains heavy for an hour in the afternoon, although a couple of times it didn't stop for a week. That was in Phuket.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That may be true of Kalimantan, but it's not a rule for the whole of the region is it? The rainy season in Sumatra starts in September, a good month or two before it reaches, say, Flores.

In west coast Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand the wet season is July to October (or thereabouts). East coast Peninsula Malaysia gets its rainy season November to Feb or thereabouts...

Well, I don't know 100% because yes, my experience is mainly Kalimantan and Java. But it would surprise me if it was different in peninsular Malaysia, particularly as that is located between Borneo and Sumatra. Sumatra dry season starts slightly earlier, sometimes late May, although that can also be true of Borneo. Meanwhile September is often wet in Borneo too, although far less often now because of (whisper it) climate change, and more frequent el nino's. But if you would say any month down here is dry, then July and August would be it.

On the other hand, I have seen little more spectacular than a tropical electrical storm, so why not come out in December or March when they are raging?

swazinio

swazinio
Nov 1, 2009
partridge green
Hello there everyone, this my first post so bare with me!
Just got back from Pattaya last month, temp was about 30 odd degrees every day and
not a drop of rain .If you do go in August this is classed as the rainy season but as
previously mentioned there will be the odd daily shower but you should see lots of sunshine!

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I went to Borneo and Singapore a couple of years ago in August, there was a heavy shower most days but generally late afternoon/early evening. A few days it didn't rain at all though one day it rained on and off most of the day.

Like you, I have to take my holiday in August, and I'm planning to go to Thailand then this year. It looks like it might be wetter in that area in August from what I've read but I've decided the benefits of being in Asia outweigh the alternative of staying in Europe.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
On the other hand, I have seen little more spectacular than a tropical electrical storm, so why not come out in December or March when they are raging?

I was in a warung in Sumatra once when a metal pole holding up a washing line less than 10 metres away got struck by lightning during a tropical electrical storm...

That was, er, interesting...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
depends exactly where you are - some parts get very little rain but I remember being in Pattaya and had a stunning thunder and lightning storm and torrential rain that lasted for an hour or so. The roads were under water for a while and then the sun came out and you would never have known it had happened. Not an issue really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here