Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Liverpool Echo

edna krabappel said:
And, London Calling, we did just give hundreds of flowers to one of London's most famous hospitals, St Thomas's.

That might be of interest to the Standard.

DONE BUT AS YET NO RESPONSE

lc

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
More than a little surprised they ran with the story at all, let alone the decent effort they produced. Cheers Liverpool Echo!

Stumpy Tim

balloonboy said:
I am in awe - really puts the local press in Bristol to shame - I've been badgering them about Falmer all week, but they're completely uninterested.

I am forwarding this article to the Bristol Evening Post NOW!!

My best mate is a football journalist for the Western Evening Post (I think that's right). I'll check he's done his job as he is an Albion fan!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anybody from Newcastle? They do do the same thing? The Geordies are a prime target for support.

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Fan plea:
Seagulls seek Magpie support

From the BBC:

Brighton's hopes of building a new stadium at Falmer have been hit.
A report submitted to the council by the Local Plan Inspector has advised against giving the plans the go-ahead.

Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, will be responsible for the final decision, and chairman Dick Knight has urged fans to express their anger.

"This report completely disregards the overwhelming support for the stadium and should not be allowed to influence Mr Prescott's decision," he said.

"I call on all Albion fans to write to him urgently."

Chief executive Martin Perry added: "I find it very surprising that a report like this has been released ahead of the Deputy Prime Minister making his decision.

"I am sure that the Deputy Prime Minister will take fully into account the evidence that was put before the inquiry which the Local Plan Inspector seems to have ignored."

Brighton fans are attempting to mobilise support to overcome this latest obstacle in their long-running ground saga and have responded in a number of ways:

There's an online petition to be passed on to John Prescott Sign the petition here or you can write to him at:

John Prescott, Deputy Prime Minister, Cabinet Office, Whitehall, London SW1A 2WH or email planning.general@odpm.gsi.gov.uk

To help you compose your letter or message, some of the key points that might be made are:

The Local Plan Inspector’s report does not recognise the very real difficulties of finding a suitable site in the Brighton & Hove area

It does not reflect the overwhelming public support for the stadium project at Falmer and the detailed consultation process that took place prior to selecting the site

The planning application clearly demonstrated:
the club's need for a new stadium
the national importance of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club
the huge number of jobs and opportunities for education and skills training that would be provided by the development
that an innovative sustainable transport scheme could be achieved

and that the Falmer site had the least impact of any of the very few potential sites for a stadium in the Brighton & Hove area
None of these points were taken into account in the Inspector's recommendations - and letter writers should ask Mr Prescott to take these factors into account when he makes his decision.

And don’t forget to add your NAME and ADDRESS.

For the latest developments and some background into the whole saga, check out the Albion chatroom North Stand chat

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
One of the nice things about being the originator of the online petition has been the e-mails that get sent to me (I had to put a valid e-mail address on which is made public, it's one of the conditions of use).

Anyway, I've just received the e-mail below from an Everton fan which I thought was worth sharing with you.
---------------------------------------------------------
Hi Pete,

I read, with interest, an article by Stuart Rayner in today's edition of the Liverpool Echo, concerning the ongoing struggle to obtain permission to relocate Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club to a new stadium at Falmer.

I am a season ticket holder at Goodison Park, and have followed Everton all my life. As a youngster, I was on holiday in Brighton in the 1960's and visited the Goldstone Ground, where I saw the Seagulls play Barrow in the old 4th Division. Since that day, I have always retained a great affection for the club, and I often try to catch a Brighton match, up here in the north-west, when Everton are on a far-flung away trip.

Having spoken to some of the supporters, I am well aware of the problems the club has encountered, in recent times, and I know how appallingly the club & its loyal fans were treated during the archer/bellotti regime. It does seem that the current chairman has done his level best to stabilise the club and move it forward, so I do hope John Prescott makes the right decision and gives his approval to the construction of the new stadium.

I have added my signature to the current online petition, and shall forward a note of support to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, in accordance with the details contained in Stuart Rayner's article.

With all good wishes for the future, I do hope you all meet with a
successful outcome.

Best regards,

Ron.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I did E-mail the Liverpool Echo about the Albion's plight since Liverpool were the club I was earmarked to lobby but I didn't think that they would actually run a story. It's wonderful news that they went to print to help us. All credit to the scousers. The way that other clubs are rallying to the cause brings a tear to the eye.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shankly Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Littlehampton
Now would seem an appropriate point to post, given my username.

Well done to Ron with a top reply - for that I can forgive him being a blue-nose!

You'll never walk alone.;)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Row Z Creased Shirt said:
Top article. Liverpool Echo we are in your debt.:clap2:

I forwarded it to The Manchester Evening News along with a brief explanation from me...did that last night so will wait and see if I even get a reply.

Regardless, Liverpool Echo=top people!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here