Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20211220-214958~2.png

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
If the case was dropped then he didn;t do it or am I missing something?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
The case WAS dropped.

After witnesses mysteriously dropped out from testifying, but there’s no putting the released audio back in the bag.

This is one that sits very uncomfortably for me. We don’t know what happened because it hasn’t gone to trial and been tested in a court of law, but there’s been no denial from Greenwood’s team that the audio released was his voice stating that regardless of his (then partner’s) consent he was going to have sex with her. At best, massively distasteful “bantz”, at worst stating his intention to commit premeditated rape.

Young guys with too much money need much better education than they seem to be getting.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If the case was dropped then he didn;t do it or am I missing something?
The case was dropped because witnesses withdrew. It's possible he did do it and the evidence just isn't available to make a prosecution viable. Or it's possible the witnesses dropped out because they weren't willing to go through with testifying as they don't believe he actually did what he was accused of. We'll likely never know for sure either way. I don't personally know enough about the case to form my own opinion. Riley has clearly made her mind up that he's guilty, and she's entitled to that opinion.

It sounds like Man U are going through a very thorough process in deciding what they do. But even after they announce their decision we won't be any the wiser - because they'll be looking not just at whether Greenwood is "guilty" but also at the internal cohesion (would club staff / players be comfortable with keeping him?), PR (will external stories about keeping him be damaging?), and commercial (is there a risk of sponsors withdrawing?) angles.

IF he's innocent, he's now in a horrible position - his career is probably gone in terms of top-level football, and the accusations will follow him for the rest of his life. There really ought to be a route for people who are accused, who then don't face trial, to request and get some form of "trial-like" hearing to attempt to establish their innocence.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The case was dropped because witnesses withdrew. It's possible he did do it and the evidence just isn't available to make a prosecution viable. Or it's possible the witnesses dropped out because they weren't willing to go through with testifying as they don't believe he actually did what he was accused of. We'll likely never know for sure either way. I don't personally know enough about the case to form my own opinion. Riley has clearly made her mind up that he's guilty, and she's entitled to that opinion.

It sounds like Man U are going through a very thorough process in deciding what they do. But even after they announce their decision we won't be any the wiser - because they'll be looking not just at whether Greenwood is "guilty" but also at the internal cohesion (would club staff / players be comfortable with keeping him?), PR (will external stories about keeping him be damaging?), and commercial (is there a risk of sponsors withdrawing?) angles.

IF he's innocent, he's now in a horrible position - his career is probably gone in terms of top-level football, and the accusations will follow him for the rest of his life. There really ought to be a route for people who are accused, who then don't face trial, to request and get some form of "trial-like" hearing to attempt to establish their innocence.
Not convinced about that at all. Seems they were about to announce his return but a journo got hold of it and tried to validate the news.......

https://theathletic.com/4780813/2023/08/16/mason-greenwood-man-utd-return/

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Christ alive, did you not see all of the evidence? It's not just accusations. The only reason the case was dropped was because a "key witness" dropped out. Under 1% of reported rapes lead to convictions in this country. This is the result of a criminal justice system that makes prosecuting rape extremely rare, lengthy and difficult. Not guilty, not proven, whatever - it doesn't equate to the truth, which is more visible in this case than any other in football.

It's an utterly abominable situation, and I just can't believe any sane football fan would be defending him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A reminder: if you state definitively that someone did or said something, and that thing was not proven in court, then you must be prepared to stand up in court and prove that thing if challenged to do so. The burden of proof will be on YOU to prove it happened, not on the other party to prove it didn't.

Millionaire Premier League footballers have deeper pockets than you.

Are they likely to come after you because of something posted on a Brighton message board? Probably not, no. But I suspect you don't want to find out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Christ alive, did you not see all of the evidence? It's not just accusations. The only reason the case was dropped was because a "key witness" dropped out. Under 1% of reported rapes lead to convictions in this country. This is the result of a criminal justice system that makes prosecuting rape extremely rare, lengthy and difficult. Not guilty, not proven, whatever - it doesn't equate to the truth, which is more visible in this case than any other in football.

It's an utterly abominable situation, and I just can't believe any sane football fan would be defending him.
Man U twitter is a sight to behold.........vitriolic dismissing of anyone who says he shouldn't be returning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here