Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best golf courses in the the brighton/Sussex area

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Hi,

Just taken up golf recently and am absolutely loving it. We always used to have a good old sunday knock about at Rottingdean pitch and putt but since October weve been playing some 9 holes at Burgess Hill and most of the time Benfield in Portslade.

Recently weve tried 18 holes at Hollingbury, Waterhall, Hassocks and today we played by far the best course yet...Hilllbarn (Worthing)...a truly great day out and the weather was fantastic....my best score of 102 put a big smile on me face too.

Anyone else in the West/East sussex reccommend a course as good or better than Hillbarn to try?

Playing Mid-Sussex tomorrow, anyone tried that?

cheers

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Hi,

Just taken up golf recently and am absolutely loving it. We always used to have a good old sunday knock about at Rottingdean pitch and putt but since October weve been playing some 9 holes at Burgess Hill and most of the time Benfield in Portslade.

Recently weve tried 18 holes at Hollingbury, Waterhall, Hassocks and today we played by far the best course yet...Hilllbarn (Worthing)...a truly great day out and the weather was fantastic....my best score of 102 put a big smile on me face too.

Anyone else in the West/East sussex reccommend a course as good or better than Hillbarn to try?

cheers

Littlehampton has a beautiful course which on a day like today would of been superb.

D

Deleted User X18H

The Dyke or Pycombe. Brighton and Hove quite good as well, quite challenging.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Littlehampton has a beautiful course which on a day like today would of been superb.
Littlehampton is a nice course...quite "linksy" in places and more parkland in others..a good test.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I started last summer so this thread will probably be useful for me too. I usually just play Burgess Hill or Hassocks. Cuckfield is worth a go if you want 9 holes, it's in much better condition than it used to be and has some quite long holes. There's a few nice courses around horsham supposedly, I've played rusper which is good, but quite challenging.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Hassocks is a good place to start as it's generally more forgiving with shorter holes than other courses.
Waterhall and Hollingbury are relatively simple but they're often in poor condition as they're council run.
Singing Hills has 27 holes, all of which are fantastic, a great course to play - but not right now due to the weather.
West Hove is kept really well and has superb scenery most of the way round. At the moment it's probably the best course to play, though it's a little expensive I think.
Pyecombe is also good but very 'hilly'.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford Head is the best municipal course in the county. Excellent views too.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Try Rookwood at horsham. great for a municipal.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Had a great day at Pyecombe recently to celebrate brother's 40th. A rare sunny day, superb drainage so no problems there, a good physical workout on the hills if you're carrying your own clubs, some nice holes, and if you play midweek after 11.15am it was only something like £17.50. Excellent value for a course that used to have a snooty reputation, and I'd certainly go again soon. Wasn't it Pyecombe where Denis Thatcher used to play?

I learned at Hollingbury, Waterhall and Hassocks, and now I'm based in Surrey Rookwood is a very good halfway house on the A24.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Mid Sussex - Home of the REMF golf day in June. So it can't be bad.

Would also 2nd the vote for Rookwood as a good municipal course.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
I was going to say Hill barn before i got to your good time there today, i like it and the first time i broke 100 and my current best of 78, mostly very forgiving. I am a member now at Avisford park near Fontwell and that is a well kept pay and play course. Over the last 3 years i have played most courses in Sussex and my favourites which you will not go wrong with, in no particular order are...

Hill barn - Great course that holds up well to the bad weather, cardiac hill!
Avisford - Good condition and also holds up well to the bad weather
Gatton manor - very nice quality course
Wildwood - 27 holes to choose from, nice course
Slinfold - very nice quality course
Singing hills - 27 holes to choose from, nice course
Rookwood - nice play and play course
Foxbridge - only 9 holes but nice setting and well kept
Rustington - only 9 holes but nice setting and well kept, Big golf shop and range, take your credit card!
Goodword park course - very well kept course
West chiltington - very nice quality course
Littlehampton - very nice quality course, go on a calm day!

These are must play courses :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

Had a great day at Pyecombe recently to celebrate brother's 40th. A rare sunny day, superb drainage so no problems there, a good physical workout on the hills if you're carrying your own clubs, some nice holes, and if you play midweek after 11.15am it was only something like £17.50. Excellent value for a course that used to have a snooty reputation, and I'd certainly go again soon. Wasn't it Pyecombe where Denis Thatcher used to play?

I learned at Hollingbury, Waterhall and Hassocks, and now I'm based in Surrey Rookwood is a very good halfway house on the A24.

If your based in Surrey, Hindhead or Hankley Golf course are nice probably in the wrong direction for you thou.

D

Deleted member 2719

I was going to say Hill barn before i got to your good time there today, i like it and the first time i broke 100 and my current best of 78, mostly very forgiving. I am a member now at Avisford park near Fontwell and that is a well kept pay and play course. Over the last 3 years i have played most courses in Sussex and my favourites which you will not go wrong with, in no particular order are...

Hill barn - Great course that holds up well to the bad weather, cardiac hill!
Avisford - Good condition and also holds up well to the bad weather
Gatton manor - very nice quality course
Wildwood - 27 holes to choose from, nice course
Slinfold - very nice quality course
Singing hills - 27 holes to choose from, nice course
Rookwood - nice play and play course
Foxbridge - only 9 holes but nice setting and well kept
Rustington - only 9 holes but nice setting and well kept, Big golf shop and range, take your credit card!
Goodword park course - very well kept course
West chiltington - very nice quality course
Littlehampton - very nice quality course, go on a calm day!

These are must play courses :thumbsup:

We play Goodwood Park on a regular basis even this Sunday after all the rain and to be fair the greens were very consistent.
If you want a more challenging course the Goodwood Downs course is quality and some great views down to the coast for miles.
:thumbsup:

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Don't disagree with any of the above. Singing Hills is my personal favourite locally but gets very boggy in winter. Lake and River are good. I find the valley a bit boring.

If you don't mind travelling further afield Gatton Manor is a v.nice course, I've always enjoyed Rookwood and Cottesmore has 2 courses of which the Griffin is nice and Phoenix a bit more basic, but still ok.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
We play Goodwood Park on a regular basis even this Sunday after all the rain and to be fair the greens were very consistent.
If you want a more challenging course the Goodwood Downs course is quality and some great views down to the coast for miles.
:thumbsup:

Played Goodwood Park in October. Not a particularly exciting or challenging course, but I agree that the greens in particular were very well kept.

D

Deleted member 2719

Played Goodwood Park in October. Not a particularly exciting or challenging course, but I agree that the greens in particular were very well kept.

They did cut the rough down when they opened it up too the public, i assumed it was to keep play moving, it was more challenging with the longer rough, try out the Downs if you get the chance.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here