Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gingerists - do they go GREY ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Genuine question.

It just struck me whilst watching Harry "What tax ?" Redknapp on Sky News this lunchtime. He still has a full head of gingernut, although it seems to have darkened towards a kind of browny-auburn these days. So the thought occured - I don't recall EVER seeing any certified gingerists with the old "distinguished flecks" of grey at their temples as they mature into later life.

Are they ginger for LIFE until it all falls out ? Or can anyone provide photographic EVIDENCE of a carrot-top turning grey ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Keep an eye on my temples matey, the first signs are indeed appearing.

Generally though, it all goes a bit fairer with age, a la Steve Davis, but in my case the shade appears to be getting darker, meaning the greys will show all the more clearly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh, cheers Gritty, I thought I might be able to rely on you for a perspective on this.

:thumbsup:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It does happen (they go white) but usually at a much later age than blondies or brunettes and what's more is that ginger's rarely EVER go bald.

I guess it's a trade off for being ginger all your life, at least you still have hair when all around you are losing theirs

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I guess it's a trade off for being ginger all your life, at least you still have hair when all around you are losing theirs

Trade off? Naah mate, it's a double-bubble-bonus. Not ONLY do we have all those years of being fecking gorgeous gingerists, but we ALSO get to keep our hair.

Yeah sure we have to deal with the jibes for the jealous majority, but that's just something you learn to deal with.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Melanin is what makes our hair colour, there is more melanin in ginger hair which gives it that vibrant colour. When we lose melanin we go grey so therefore gingers go grey much later.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Melanin is what makes our hair colour, there is more melanin in ginger hair which gives it that vibrant colour. When we lose melanin we go grow so therefore gingers go grey much later.

So how do greyists maintain a quality suntan then, if it's about losing melanin?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
got a mate 40 ish , ginger as they come (hair wise) has gone from a bett midler to a leslie nielson in the space of a year.

King Kong

Feb 24, 2010
No, they are stuck with it for LIFE.
Punishment for sinning in previous life, innit. I feel for the gingers of the world.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My dads a Ginger and he's gone white. Imma ginger (more auburn/brown really) and receding a little so quite frankly that stuff about not going bald is a load of old bollocks unfortunately.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was a copperknob when I was little and then it turned brown before giving way to my now cool platinum tint.
The silence from HKFC on this thread is deafening.
He has soon forgotten his roots.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
I think you'll find Harry Redknapp dyes his hair, no way is he still ginger at his age.

I heard he used to use Just For Men, then he mercilessly ditched the product when a better deal came up on Grecian 2000, before returning to Just For Men a few months later after he realised all wasn't quite as it had originally seemed at Grecian HQ.

Then he dumped them both for good after being seduced by a smooth talking L'Oreal advertisement, saying it was a sentimental, not financial decision. And declared publically it wasn't his fault that both companies had subsequently suffered financial hardship as a result of the loss of his custom.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My Dad had a ginger moustache he had bits of white in it. I have a photo only it's in black and white, so not much use.
I am a greyer, that's greyer not gayer and I get a lovely tan same as ever was. :cool:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I used to have a Jerzy Dudek type goatee beard but it all went a bit ginger in the summer, so got rid of that. f*** knows why as i've got brown hair. Pain in the arse trimming it neatly anyway.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Looking at my wife, the answer is a resounding Yes! :thumbsup:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Sorry to sound all 'QI Stephen Fry Smug 'n' Pompous' but there's no such thing as 'grey hair'. Hair either has it's original colour or becomes white.

Therefore, as hair starts to become white it mixes with the natural colour and 'looks' grey. Eventually, the hair will become totally white if enough of the natural colour is lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here