Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motor Insurance: have I lost my NCD?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How long is No Claims valid for?
Most insurers require that your current no claims certificate must have been issued in the last two to three years. If you have 5 years no claims, and then dont drive for 3 or 4 years, when you start driving again it is likely you won't have any ncb.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I haven't been a policy holder for years as I am the named driver on my wife's insurance (she has a motability car but can no longer drive). Surprisingly or not I apparently don't qualify for no claims discount should I need to re-insure in my own right at any time in the future even though I consistantly drive around 18,000-20,000 miles a year.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
When you've had NCD in the past some firms will offer a two year discount to start you off again. The AA did for us. Shop around.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Plenty of firms will take the NCD, especially if it's just over the recommended 2 year limit. I you went into a branch woth the proof to the company i used to work for (Endsleigh Insurance) we would have accepted it so although they no longer have branches i'm sure their call centres will take it. Certainly if you try a proper broker they will be able to find an insurer that will accept it.

Only other advise i can give is Swiftcover (who are actually normally very good value anyway) as they insure my leased car even though its not registered to me, they just note the polciy to say as such. I suspect something like that is probably acceptable to them too, try speaking to someone on their online help, they are very useful

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Soem insurers will. Like a prev poster said shop around or use a broker.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I has the same problem when I hadn't driven under my own policy for 4 years after having a company car. I went back to my previous insurer who agreed to honour the 9 years I had previously. They were the only ones who agreed to do so.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I haven't been a policy holder for years as I am the named driver on my wife's insurance (she has a motability car but can no longer drive). Surprisingly or not I apparently don't qualify for no claims discount should I need to re-insure in my own right at any time in the future even though I consistantly drive around 18,000-20,000 miles a year.

Blimey you drive your wife around a lot. My wife is also disabled and has a mobility car. The insurance states that as a named driver I can only drive it if it to transport her or for her direct benefit.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Blimey you drive your wife around a lot. My wife is also disabled and has a mobility car. The insurance states that as a named driver I can only drive it if it to transport her or for her direct benefit.

Unless the car has been adapted for which i'm sure getting one on Motability would be cheaper, is it really that much better a deal to get one through that then? I'm sure i head a radio advert a while back offering a car on Motability for 'Just £49 per week'. I can't remember what the car was but i do remember thinking i could go into the showroom and negotiate a better price myself! Am i missing summin?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

That's correct, your not insured if the the registered named disabled person is not being transported.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

ha ha -I'm a full time carer and as she can't walk, let alone drive, any more I get sole use but as the car is hers under the scheme she has to be the policy holder with me as named driver. With family in Holland and holiday places in the west country and the pyrenees we pile on the miles.

And no programme seller, she doesn't have to be in the car with me - indeed she often cannot be because she has frequent periods when she is bedridden. But I still have to do the shopping, collect medication etc. - there are more restrictions on using her blue badge than there are on using her car but I don't disagree with that when I see the way they are abused

Of course I should say that as a good husband everything I do is for her direct benefit ....................... :lolol: :sick:

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Unless the car has been adapted for which i'm sure getting one on Motability would be cheaper, is it really that much better a deal to get one through that then? I'm sure i head a radio advert a while back offering a car on Motability for 'Just £49 per week'. I can't remember what the car was but i do remember thinking i could go into the showroom and negotiate a better price myself! Am i missing summin?

Well on top of the the new car (Focus in my wife's instance) you get car tax, insurance, and servicing, including tyres etc, so all you pay for is petrol.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
ha ha -I'm a full time carer and as she can't walk, let alone drive, any more I get sole use but as the car is hers under the scheme she has to be the policy holder with me as named driver. With family in Holland and holiday places in the west country and the pyrenees we pile on the miles.

Of course I should say that as a good husband everything I do is for her direct benefit ....................... :lolol: :sick:

I'm also my wife's full time carer but I can still only use the car with her in it or solely for her benefit as stated on the mobility insurance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

It "costs" all of the mobility element of disability living allowance (which is as it should be) - so about £200 per month but includes tax, insurance, RAC membership and servicing plus replacement tyres over the three years of the lease. I know some people bank the money and do their own thing but I've never worked out if a better deal could be available because the money is supposed to be there to give the person more mobility and that's exactly what it does for us.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Just come and ask a friendly broker who will look after you :wink:

As a rule most Insurers only accept up to 2 years from expiry but the odd one or two accet 3.

If you have been driving a company car, you just need a letter a most Insurers will give you NCD.

If a spouse has a car with NCD and you are a named driver, most Insurers will again give you full second car discount.

NCD can be trasnsfered between husband and wife if one no longer wants to Insure or they want to change the policyholder.

And Insurers DO need proof of NCD or they will reduce it to 0 years without proof and charge you a hefty additional premium.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
just so that you know, Most insurers won't even ask for proof of ncd anymore.

Shopped around on Confused. com and swiftcover came out very cheap, but insisted on proof of previous NCD, got an e mail from them on Monday saying that I now have 7 days to give this info otherwise they will increase premiums or cancel my policy. Luckily, I now have the info for them.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If a spouse has a car with NCD and you are a named driver, most Insurers will again give you full second car discount.

Wish you would have looked after me, I have just bought a second car just for use as a summer toy. And although I have 9 year NCB on my everyday car, and 8 years NCB on a motorcycle only one company (Tescos) would let me use the m/c ncb fo the second car but their quote was over £100 more than the others giving me no NCB.

Even admiral who I’m with for the main car said we can you a “multi-car policy” having already insured the first one, and again they were over £150 more the best quote for the second one.
Went with a local company in the end First Central in Haywards Heath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here