Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I can see football having to have govt. legislation imposed on them...things
like this just shouldn't happen and obviously the FA is impotent/incompetent
and up their own arses to do anything...

I think we're approaching Premiership meltdown to be frank.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
why aren't the pompey fans taking some direct action, to remove people like this from their club? boycott a match.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
So:-
"Portsmouth signed a team of premiershite players which their 20,000 stadium is unable to support"
Where will that place us even with Falmer (24,000)?

"Portsmouth signed a team of premiershite players which their 20,000 stadium is unable to support"

Presumably not paying £80k a week to crap wingers (John Utaka) or £50k a week to aged goalkeepers with no sell on value (David James). They've tried to build a top-8 Premiership side on a 20k stadium in a very short space of time, it's a long way away from the Bolton/Hull/Wigan model of Premiership survival and gradual expansion.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
why aren't the pompey fans taking some direct action, to remove people like this from their club? boycott a match.

Or just get the great unwashed (Mr Portsmouth FC/Marty Feldman look-a-like) to raise his arms and one whiff of those pits would send these crooks fleeing the county.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Or just get the great unwashed (Mr Portsmouth FC/Marty Feldman look-a-like) to raise his arms and one whiff of those pits would send these crooks fleeing the county.
I know we say it every time, but he really is a stupid ugly cünt isn't he.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What I don't quite get is how the HELL are this lot not in administration yet ?
4 months in a row they've not paid their players on time, a winding up petition in the High Court is looming, the FAPL have docked transfer fees and TV money at source so it can go towards their creditors before it reaches the Pompey black hole, the club was placed under a transfer embargo, former players are suing for monies owed, Udinese are suing for transfer fees still owed....what ELSE has to happen before Administrators are finally called in to this mess ?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

There is a big difference between an old 20k stadium with bugger-all hospitality facilities, and a modern 23.5k stadium with loads!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What I don't quite get is how the HELL are this lot not in administration yet ?
4 months in a row they've not paid their players on time, a winding up petition in the High Court is looming, the FAPL have docked transfer fees and TV money at source so it can go towards their creditors before it reaches the Pompey black hole, the club was placed under a transfer embargo, former players are suing for monies owed, Udinese are suing for transfer fees still owed....what ELSE has to happen before Administrators are finally called in to this mess ?

The EPL seem to be very keen to avoid an administration, don't they? It would be a partial admittance that their little league is not so perfect.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
There is a big difference between an old 20k stadium with bugger-all hospitality facilities, and a modern 23.5k stadium with loads!

That's a very good point - most money through the gate these days comes from corporate hospitality and the like, not your average fan.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The EPL seem to be very keen to avoid an administration, don't they? It would be a partial admittance that their little league is not so perfect.

Spot on, I reckon. I can't see this all finishing any other way than player salaries, a bit like house prices, taking a big hit. It will be fiercely resisted by all the interested parties - players, Gordon Taylor, agents, and various other bloodsuckers and intermediaries. But if they all got two thirds of what they get now, they'd still be very well rewarded people for what they do, and the world would keep turning.

Would I want a 33 per cent pay cut? No. But if I earned £1million a year maybe it would be easier to live with.

And in the big picture I would rather we were one of many strong European leagues than the strongest simply because we paid the most. Maybe then for example Croatian players could stay in Croatia, their clubs would be better, and all the tournaments would benefit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Very true.
That and the fact that once ONE of the EPL clubs goes into admin, you could see a domino effect as all the chickens start coming come home to roost when other creditors get the willys over what they're owed.

Scudamore would no doubt like Pompey to limp through till the end of the season, get relegated to the Championship and THEN go into administration. Its not his problem then, is it.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I hope the Premier League doesn't protect them though, as an example needs to be set to the rest of the clubs that this is what happens if you don't budget.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Didn't Pompey's website go down a while ago as well due to unpaid fees? I've also heard that they've got problems with their catering arrangements but I guess that's just one of the ever-growing list of companies/people owed money and still waiting?

What a mess and as others have said cant quite beleive they've not gone into admin yet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why the suprise? It is the legacy of having let Harry Redknap take charge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here