Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=thecavern;3315770]May 1983

I once thought, as we all do, I would be young forever. I was in my prime and when I looked around me, everyone else was too.

But the illusion of invincibility evaporated one afternoon in May 1983, a home game against Manchester City.

Near the Station the Queens Head was heaving with away fans. I was with maybe thirty boys en route to the game. A few scuffles then a huge brawl began. I heard breaking glass.

For a split second in my periphery a strange blur. It was a pint glass flying through the air. I ducked instinctively but to no avail.

I remember turning away after the impact and the crimson flow splashing all over the pavement. “****” someone said. “****ing Hell”.

I took sixteen stitches in the face, but notwithstanding the needlework, I was still back on parade the following weekend. I went up to Club Maximus in Leicester Square, a great night.

The resilience of Youth eh.
    QUOTE]

Remember that one well - came out the Cranbourne up Queens Road and where it bears left to join Surrey Street on that corner was a boozer - The Feathers - filled with City, as the front lads went past they came out and in the battle that followed it kicked off for 5+ minutes and hands up we were backed off down Queens Road with Nigel G getting a broken arm (from memory)!!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      [QUOTE=brighton bluenose;3316263]
      Quote Originally Posted by thecavern View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      May 1983

I once thought, as we all do, I would be young forever. I was in my prime and when I looked around me, everyone else was too.

But the illusion of invincibility evaporated one afternoon in May 1983, a home game against Manchester City.

Near the Station the Queens Head was heaving with away fans. I was with maybe thirty boys en route to the game. A few scuffles then a huge brawl began. I heard breaking glass.

For a split second in my periphery a strange blur. It was a pint glass flying through the air. I ducked instinctively but to no avail.

I remember turning away after the impact and the crimson flow splashing all over the pavement. “****” someone said. “****ing Hell”.

I took sixteen stitches in the face, but notwithstanding the needlework, I was still back on parade the following weekend. I went up to Club Maximus in Leicester Square, a great night.

The resilience of Youth eh.
      QUOTE]

Remember that one well - came out the Cranbourne up Queens Road and where it bears left to join Surrey Street on that corner was a boozer - The Feathers - filled with City, as the front lads went past they came out and in the battle that followed it kicked off for 5+ minutes and hands up we were backed off down Queens Road with Nigel G getting a broken arm (from memory)!!
      Hey Brighton Bluenose, It was the Feathers! Not the Queens head. Thats where I took the glass. Another memory put back in the right box.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      [QUOTE=thecavern;3316287]
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post

Hey Brighton Bluenose, It was the Feathers! Not the Queens head. Thats where I took the glass. Another memory put back in the right box.
      I once dated the landladies daughter from the Feathers. They had a big angry alsatian dog who would growl at me when she left the room. I swear it was half human. "You **** my sister and I'll chew your balls off". She was sweet as, so I often took my life (at least my balls) in my hands.

You have a memory of being hit with a pint pot. I just got back a memory of something far nicer.........

Good how this all works.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brownstuff View Post
      I was in that station pub at Ipswich
      Remember the collection glass going round (think pub window got smashed too)
      I also remember the pub staff not being able to handle the rowdy fans
      A few people started pouring pints for themselves as the pub was understaffed, it got a bit out of control and the young pub staff shit themselves and ****ed off out the back and then there was a free for all
      I dont remember what happened afters as had to then get to ground which was jampacked and got into the game late
      Drum and Monkey

Did an Ipswich fan get battered to death that day

0 Not allowed!
      [QUOTE=Marlton & Hove Albion;3316433]
      Quote Originally Posted by thecavern View Post

I once dated the landladies daughter from the Feathers. They had a big angry alsatian dog who would growl at me when she left the room. I swear it was half human. "You **** my sister and I'll chew your balls off". She was sweet as, so I often took my life (at least my balls) in my hands.

You have a memory of being hit with a pint pot. I just got back a memory of something far nicer.........

Good how this all works.

0 Not allowed!
      Someone mentioned the Urban Network Firm

Post WSF in the latter part of the 80s (pre-acid house) the main dressers at Brighton games used to stand down in the bottom corner of the North Stand next to the away end and was loosely made up of 'the Army' ('Billy', Stan etc...), the Paddies/'Brighton Excess Firm' (or was it Force?) - tongue in cheek names, if you know the lads who made up their numbers, you know what I mean - and the slightly younger lads who went under the moniker of the Urban Network Firm aka the UNF
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Remember that one well - came out the Cranbourne up Queens Road and where it bears left to join Surrey Street on that corner was a boozer - The Feathers - filled with City, as the front lads went past they came out and in the battle that followed it kicked off for 5+ minutes and hands up we were backed off down Queens Road with Nigel G getting a broken arm (from memory)!![/QUOTE]

blimey dementia kicked in bluenose ? wrong pub & it was steve la who got broken arm
      Last edited by 8340; 22-01-2010 at 23:04. Reason: typo
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      must of been difficult to see from your usual spot hiding with your big nosed buddy ( of mufc persuasion ) miles from the action
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 8340 View Post
      blimey dementia kicked in bluenose ? wrong pub & it was steve la who got broken arm [/QUOTE]

Mate I am 110% sure it was the feathers without a doubt - though you are probably closer to H to say it wasnt his arm that got broken!

Cant remember Steve La? PM me with name?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 8340 View Post
      blimey dementia kicked in bluenose ? wrong pub & it was steve la who got broken arm [/QUOTE]

Don't know how true this is but someone once told me a story about City breaking someone's arm in Queens Road which I assume is the same incident above - the lad in question stood and got leathered and when he was on the floor, the City lads were discussing what to do with him - apparently some wanted to stripe him but someone stopped it happening, saying he was the only one who didn't get off... so they jumped on his arm instead... nice...

Also if I remember correctly - not sure if it was the same day - one of the Paddies got his winnings off a fruity down West Street taxed by some City who left him with a Mayne Line calling card