Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are Durrington / Worthing like as places to live?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I'm not sure you are going to get many balanced replies on this :smile:
especially from the Brighton boys.
I think everywhere is the same, good parts & bad parts. IMO Parts of Durrington are a bit dodgy but generally I find worthing OK.
I used to live a bit further up country in sussex but moved down as property prices were so good, still do quite a bit of work in London & even after all this time, still find the drive a pain. So think carefully if you will be going back into town on regular occasions.

Mar 12, 2008
Worthing has some very nices areas, and some not so nice areas. I'd put Durrington in the later to be honest. Plenty of social housing etc...

I'm in the process of buying a flat near West Worthing station. I currently live in central Brighton but can't afford to buy round here. Ticks all the boxes for me - value for money, close to station, near friends, can walk to town for beers if I can't be arsed with Brighton....

Do you know Worthing very well?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Worthing is some area's is well nice, Durrington however needs to be flattened and rebuilt, the area around Broadwater is good and easy access to main roads and trains

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Lived in Worthing for a large part of my life. Some good, some bad, but generally very nice.

Nice parts to live - West Worthing, Goring, High Salvington, Findon, Offington, Broadwater, Tarring, Ferring

Not so nice - Durrington, East Worthing, Maybridge, Lower Salvington

Any specific questions?

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Avoid Durrington, as someone else has said Lots of chavs and single mums.

West Worthing is the nicest part ( Poets area ) south of the Tarring road. Are you buying or renting ?

Goring is also nice as is Ferring ( lots of older people, like my folks who are moving there )

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Like everywhere there are good and bad bits, personally I would rather live on the western side of Worthing than the east...but if you are looking just at Durrington then as a rule the closer to the sea you are the nicer it is, certainly the bit to the south of the railway tracks has some very nice property.

The comment about old people is probably fair, to a degree, but at least it means that prices are cheapish in the Worthing area in comparison with the rest of West Sussex due to the amount of executors sales.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
All I will say is the 7/8th's of Worthing's economy comes from funeral directors

on a more serious note, Its an OK place to live and there are nice areas, but most of them are on the north/western side, such as findon, ferring and goring-by-sea

actually I went to durrington practically every month when I was young, there are better

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'd recommend living near the middle of Worthing town centre. I live in the Poets Corner bit. There's not a lot going on but if you want to live in a nice Victorian house/flat near the centre of town and a mainline station, you can do it for half the price (or get twice the space) as you can in Brighton. If you've got young kids and therefore spend a lot of time at home when not at work, that's not a bad thing. You can park reasonably easily near your house and have a bit of a garden. It's a short train ride/drive to the bright lights of Brighton or Chichester. And it's a couple of minutes walk to the seafront for pram pushing.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
When I tap Durrington into my GPS, the lady inside says "I wouldn't go there if I were you."

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I'd recommend living near the middle of Worthing town centre. I live in the Poets Corner bit. There's not a lot going on but if you want to live in a nice Victorian house/flat near the centre of town and a mainline station, you can do it for half the price (or get twice the space) as you can in Brighton. If you've got young kids and therefore spend a lot of time at home when not at work, that's not a bad thing. You can park reasonably easily near your house and have a bit of a garden. It's a short train ride/drive to the bright lights of Brighton or Chichester. And it's a couple of minutes walk to the seafront for pram pushing.

yep....and then it means that you can get a lift to withdean from lovely people like me who have to drive by anyway,....innit lush!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxx

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Worthing has some very nices areas, and some not so nice areas. I'd put Durrington in the later to be honest. Plenty of social housing etc...

I'm in the process of buying a flat near West Worthing station. I currently live in central Brighton but can't afford to buy round here. Ticks all the boxes for me - value for money, close to station, near friends, can walk to town for beers if I can't be arsed with Brighton....

Do you know Worthing very well?

West Worthing is fine apart from that bloody railway crossing!! Coming from the south.
you sit there for 15 minutes, 3 trains go by, the gates go up, the lights finally change in your favour, you start to move, you reach the track then some DICK wants to turn into pavilion rd. holding everyone up. The lights flash and the whole thing starts again :tantrum:
I drive miles out of my way to avoid that bloody thing.

Yoda

English & European

Couldn't disagree with that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here