Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2010

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the absence of The Bard of Smegwick I feel I should raise this post in his honour and start the binfest rolling in the hope he will flounce back to us.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nowhere Boy

This Biopic shows the early days of John Lennon growing up in a strangely contrasting Liverpool of the 50’s. We see the vibrancy of Rock’n’Roll, we see the 50’s gloom and austerity and we see the emotional and physical tug of war between John’s mother Julia and his aunt Mimi as John seeks some kind of emotional reassurance as he seeks to control his own destiny as well. This can be quite an emotional film in places and as such, the young John Lennon played here, lacks some sympathy as he sulkily and moodily insults all and sundry.

There are some small moments of scouse humour but overall this film has a sad air which hangs over it and pervades the screen with a sense of gloom. As a film we just see the young John getting stroppy and falling out with everyone at some point or another, including himself, and no one seems strong enough to stand up and tell him to stop being an arse.

I mentioned that an air of gloom pervades this film and this is deepened by the huge amount of smoking which takes place almost constantly throughout. Indeed smoking seems to have been the one uniting force in Liverpool as all our characters wade though a fug of blue smoke. Breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner, a bus ride, a funeral wake, a trip to the front gate, a letter arriving are all excuses to break out the tabs. Forget not smoking in front of the children, everybody over the age of 12 seems constantly conjoined to a Death-Stick. The production team must have employed an official “ Fagger-Up “ much in the same way as other films employ animal or dialogue coaches. Some characters even seem to manage a fag while smoking a fag and any time when a fag is not being smoked is immediately celebrated and filled by another fag.
However, though the smog the young Paul McCartney shines out as a boy who has suffered almost as much as the young Lennon but who just gets on with things without a constant need to express angst and absorb nicotine.

This film did not quite do it for me, there were touches of the John Lennon to be, but ultimately, I lacked sympathy for this moody gobshite of a man in the making. Oh, did I mention the air of gloom and the smoking ?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the box 2.4

weird weird weird . bloke with half a face , struck by lightning, gives someone a box so they get a millkion quid but someone in the world dies. bloke with half a head is an alien or something . i fell asleep. dontt watch it

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
In the absence of The Bard of Smegwick I feel I should raise this post in his honour and start the binfest rolling in the hope he will flounce back to us.

Has anyone seen ''Surveilance'' which is doing the rounds on Sky at the moment. Very black, gruesome and at times quite funny it is directed by Jennifer Lynch and she has certainly inherited some of her fathers traits in her directional style but she still shows some nice original touches. Some excellant performances as well especially from Bill Pulman. Not to everyones taste I`m sure but well worth a go IMO.

The surviving witnesses left after a terribly violent attack are a cocaine-sniffing junkie whose lover has been blown away, a patrolman whose partner has been killed, and an eight-year-old girl whose mother, brother and stepfather have suffered violent deaths. The narrative is occasionally opaque, the acting is on the broad side, but I was gripped and always wanted to know what would happen next. Review by Philip French, Observer

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nowhere Boy

This Biopic shows the early days of John Lennon growing up in a strangely contrasting Liverpool of the 50’s. We see the vibrancy of Rock’n’Roll, we see the 50’s gloom and austerity and we see the emotional and physical tug of war between John’s mother Julia and his aunt Mimi as John seeks some kind of emotional reassurance as he seeks to control his own destiny as well. This can be quite an emotional film in places and as such, the young John Lennon played here, lacks some sympathy as he sulkily and moodily insults all and sundry.

There are some small moments of scouse humour but overall this film has a sad air which hangs over it and pervades the screen with a sense of gloom. As a film we just see the young John getting stroppy and falling out with everyone at some point or another, including himself, and no one seems strong enough to stand up and tell him to stop being an arse.

I mentioned that an air of gloom pervades this film and this is deepened by the huge amount of smoking which takes place almost constantly throughout. Indeed smoking seems to have been the one uniting force in Liverpool as all our characters wade though a fug of blue smoke. Breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner, a bus ride, a funeral wake, a trip to the front gate, a letter arriving are all excuses to break out the tabs. Forget not smoking in front of the children, everybody over the age of 12 seems constantly conjoined to a Death-Stick. The production team must have employed an official “ Fagger-Up “ much in the same way as other films employ animal or dialogue coaches. Some characters even seem to manage a fag while smoking a fag and any time when a fag is not being smoked is immediately celebrated and filled by another fag.
However, though the smog the young Paul McCartney shines out as a boy who has suffered almost as much as the young Lennon but who just gets on with things without a constant need to express angst and absorb nicotine.

This film did not quite do it for me, there were touches of the John Lennon to be, but ultimately, I lacked sympathy for this moody gobshite of a man in the making. Oh, did I mention the air of gloom and the smoking ?

Sounds like it needed jazzing up a bit from someone like James Cameron. Maybe some bad ass marines attacking Lennon`s home or something.:thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sounds like it needed jazzing up a bit from someone like James Cameron. Maybe some bad ass marines attacking Lennon`s home or something.:thumbsup:

Isn't it about time you went back to work ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Having the male interest from 'tween' film Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging as Lennon was a weird bit of casting (imho). I await the Ian Dury film with more interest I have to say, or maybe we should just call the thread 'Film 1978' and stick to retro classics such as The Deer Hunter ?!?!

I presume the flounce refers to 'our Uncle'? How long has he been MIA?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
In the last couple of days I have watched....

The Hangover - mucho mucho larfs. Is very funny film. 7.6

The Constant Gardner - is okay. 6.8

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Kristen-The-Runaways-kristen-stewart-6806618-500-792.jpg

2010 really is just about what films Kristen Stewart is going to be releasing. The first one is The Runaways, where she's butchered her hair ( :down: ) but dons a lot of leather. Result.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Knowing

This got a right kicking from the critics, but as a fairly slow-burning end-of-the-world jobbie, I thought it was actually pretty decent. Nicolas Cage in the archetypal widowed single-parent borderline alcoholic role bringing up his young son, when he comes across a 50 year-old piece of paper, buried in a school 'time capsual' in 1959, which has been predicting various global disasters, quoting the date, location and death tolls (including 9/11) exactly right. And theres three more disaster-dates still to come, the last not having a death toll number, just cryptically "EE"...

Good stuff. Kept me entertained, couple of nice cgi disasters, and other than a bit of a daft ending, its worth a sniff.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I saw a low budget indie thing called 'Avatar'. It was predictable, but visually stunning. I'd recommend catching it if it gets a general release.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Watched 'I love you man' last night thinking it would be typical, obvious and predictable to find it was one of the funniest films I have seen is ages. Loved it, good blokes film but with sentiment.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Nowhere Boy

i'd score it at 8.5 and i think you're being a bit harsh on the Lennon character over what must have been a very mixed up childhood. i agree that everyone was smoking ALL the time (my mate was dying for a fag after) and it did have a sadness pervading throughout the film but isn't that the point? i found it quite an emotional ride tbh, which showed that it hooked me in. interestingly, it finishes just at the point that the film Backbeat starts - so they'd make great back to back rentals. Backbeat's the better film as Ian Hart nails Lennon and the music sections are top-drawer but Aaron Johnson also does a good job of playing him.

definitely recommended.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3284162 said:
Rented Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night, excellent. As much as I want to hate Russell Brand, he is amazingly funny in this.

About to put on Role Models too which comes highly recommended to me :thumbsup:

You will enjoy "I Love You Man".

Been watching Northern Exposure Box Sets, series 1-6. Genius, one of the best progs ever on TV. Love? It don't come close bitches.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
30 days of the night

Shocking and full of massive plot holes...

Why not stay in the loft?
Why not leave Stella under the car for the whole 15 mins untill day break? the firse was not going to reach her.

Uber gash

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here