Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A new season is upon us, when are the fixtures out?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
@papa this storm tomorrow with a channel low and gale force easterlies if in jan would we not have a dump of snow?
Is this likely to be the wintrr set up?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Feels distinctly colder and more wintry today which made me think of this thread. Any early signs of what December might hold?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
@papa this storm tomorrow with a channel low and gale force easterlies if in jan would we not have a dump of snow?
Is this likely to be the wintrr set up?

Actually, the setup we had a few weeks ago, with NE winds and rain would have given snow, and as you say, today's feature would have been very interesting, and it did deliver snow for Welsh mountains, Lake District and York Moors overnight.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Actually, the setup we had a few weeks ago, with NE winds and rain would have given snow, and as you say, today's feature would have been very interesting, and it did deliver snow for Welsh mountains, Lake District and York Moors overnight.

Such a shame we've got a strong la Nina, I know it's only one signal but if this winter follows Climatology when there is a strong La Nina then Mid to late winter will wet and windy. Best chance of snow will still be early winter.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Took the dog for a walk just now. In my shorts. Cold as. Stars look great though.

Cold enough for snow soon?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The higher beings are waiting until they can be sure a lockdown will be in place for Christmas day before unleashing the whitest Christmas day ever seen in Brighton

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First snow of the year here in Gothenburg today, only light and melting immediatly but still...

Think this cold front is moving south so you might get some, tomorrow or so.

I hate the winter. Snow is beautiful for about two days and then I get tired of it.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Nice ground frost up here in NW London only the second of the season.

703454dcd3d7efdb406a6b4720acb883.jpg

But looking at the models and drivers it’s really all on a knife edge as ever.

Personally I’m on a complete downer. Was hoping for a front loaded winter but the polar vortex plots are looking ominously strong and there doesn’t appear to be much in the way of hope for any atmospheric drivers and disruption.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Outside chance of a late night flurry Friday night/Saturday morning. According to Net Weather.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can't be this thread already. It's way too early.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's extremely marginal and messy, but with some elevation you may see some flakes falling Friday (I don't think so myself). Further North and West increases the chances.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't see any meaningful snow rocking up here for the foreseeable. Thanks, global warming.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can't see any meaningful snow rocking up here for the foreseeable. Thanks, global warming.

Too true. The synoptic setup this coming week, had we had this 30 years ago would be definite snow for most. However, what's changed is the lack of any deep cold air anywhere near to tap into. The delay in the arctic re-freeze means that the ocean is still giving up huge amounts of heat to the atmosphere, which has led to some eye-watering +ve temp anomalies towards the pole. Hence, there's a lot less cold air up there. Once the ice freezes than we're back on, hence we seem to get colder weather in March than Pre-Xmas these days (with the notable exception of 2010!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here