Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Something to do with low profile tyres and my total ineptitude.
Probably much to do with the fact that the Germans change their tyres from winter to summer tread as a matter of course. Driving around on the autobahn in the usual big December/January freeze on summer tires is seen as a death wish.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
On a slightly OT aside...BMW's are f***ing LAST when it snows.

I was thinking, "German Car, it snows a fair bit over there so this magnificent piece of kraut engineering will be peachy" but last time round I was marooned on the drive for hours with it sliding all over the shop whilst my Mrs in her clapped out Renault megane went sailing off with no bother..

As I was being towed off the middle of the road by a passing 4X4 the Samaritan driver, of said Range Rover, said to me that he had been shifting Mercs and Beamers all night.

Something to do with low profile tyres and my total ineptitude.

is it a modern BMW? If so next time its icy wack the traction control off put it straight in second gear and dont over rev it and keep the front wheels moving from side to side. Front or rear wheel drive is much over muchness on the ice as even 4x4's slip everywhere the key is to gently move everywhere and dont go lower than 2nd gear.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This from Papa Lazarou's recommended website:

All parts of Britain and Ireland are in for a lot of increasingly cold and snowy weather as we go through the next week with some potentially severe winter weather developing across our shores. We would advise people to prepare themselves for a spell of winter weather that's not been seen for many years as severe frosts and heavy snowfalls become the main feature during next week.

A taster for what is coming is affecting some parts today, as a couple of features move across some parts of the country, with a chill north-easterly wind blowing in tonight. Whilst many parts have started off dry and bright with a frost, this morning has seen sleet and snow (rain nearer coasts) falling across some central areas of England, as well as across northeast England, whilst snow showers have followed into eastern Scotland as the easterly winds increased here.

The wintry mix across central areas will continue to move southeast today, whilst the other area of wintry precipitation across the northeast slips south, eventually passing through southern England tonight - perhaps bringing a slight covering of snow to some spots. Snow showers will follow onto eastern coasts, but for many clearing skies tonight will allow a widespread frost to form, and this will become severe across some northern areas as temperatures drop below -12C in some rural spots.

Monday will be a fine and cold day for many parts, but snow showers will affect south-eastern areas at times, whilst further wintry showers move into northern and eastern Scotland during the day. The wintry showers in the north will mark the boundary between the cold air already here, and the even colder air following on, and this boundary will shift south during Monday and Tuesday. It is after this has gone through that the potential for heavy snow and severe frosts really increases, and is something we are monitoring closely as the second half of next week could end up very wintry indeed with significant snowfalls for some and temperatures dropping below -20C for some rural locations in the north.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Weather forecast says snow and 4ºC tomorrow.

Then sunshine and 0ºC for the rest of the week.

WTF?

whats wrong with that? the cloud cover can often keep the temperature higher in the winter if thats what you're getting at. it rather depends on where the air is coming from, humid (so potentially wet/snowy) air from the SW will be warmer than dry air from the NE/E.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just a quick reply to say that different model runs seem to oscillate between a snowy deluge friday into Saturday and little at all.
Tuesday night into Wednesday (only just over 24 hours away) is looking quite snowy now, as the front moving down from the north is due to develop a closed circulation low over the south as it moves over us.

Either way, it's going to be bitterly cold, especially after the front has passed through.

More later (when i'm off my phone)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yup it's certainly looking good for a good 6 inches (if not more) across most of Sussex with the West seeing more of the heavy stuff as it stands.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
shit im going to the shop to buy loads of milk and eggs

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
why the f*** does the bbc say it's going to be sunny all week?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Come on someone confirm a snowfest for the end of the week please.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here