Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The rumour mill is cranking up again, with lots of noise around a mid-late January announcement, with the toy launching sometime in Q2.

How very exciting for all of us!

500x_500x_500x_apple-tablet-contest.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Assuming it'll be touch-screen with a touch-keypad, a la iPhone?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How much will it cost?

Indeed, considering the ludicrous premium on iphones i can see this thing easily topping £1000. Can you even run bootcamp? Is it going to run OSX? And since when have tablets acted as phones as that mock up suggests?

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Indeed, considering the ludicrous premium on iphones i can see this thing easily topping £1000. Can you even run bootcamp? Is it going to run OSX? And since when have tablets acted as phones as that mock up suggests?

Around £600 tops apparently.

Still, no chance of me being mugged.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Around £600 tops apparently.

Still, no chance of me being mugged.

considering they try to sell the iphone for that i struggle to believe it. Plus if it isnt running OSX i really cant see the appeal in it.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I think everybody will be in for a nice surprise and will be blown away by what the "alleged" iTablet/iSlate/iWhatEverTheF**kItsCalled can do. Remember these are all rumours and pure speculation at the moment, although there are a few solid pointers that show Apple is up to something.

Look what Apple did for the smartphone market. Completely transformed it and made the rest of the competition look rubbish.

Personally, I would love it to run a full multi-touch version of OS X. I'm not keen on the iPhone OS on something that size.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The guys at Solutions Inc are gearing up for something new in the next 2 weeks. Knowing Apple it will be something radical, I bet there will be suprises that no-one has speculated/considered/guessed. I hope it's not too OSXy as I really don't like that OS, I'm guessing they will really want to be getting a major slice of the Netbook Market so it will have to be ultra portable, easy to setup and use and it will need to be competively priced :looksforward:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
f*** me sideways. I'll be the coolest daddy-o in Hove with that baby in my man bag.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
yes because apple are well known for their competitive pricing options :lolol: :facepalm:

My point is, that if theye are to compete with Netbooks, it'll need to be in the same area of pricing. If you look at the prices of iPods, and even iMacs, they are not badly priced, when you compare with other similarly specced products. Dell they will never be, but compared to good quality alternatives they are not that bad any more.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
iMac - Apple Store (U.K.)

Cheapest iMac there is £400 at the very least more expensive than a PC with similar or even better hardware inside it.

iPod nano/Touch - the idea of charging £100+ for something with 8gb storage is ludicrous, and notice the price increase on the touch when you move to 16gb.

Apple overprice their products to high heaven, always have and always will.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My point is, that if theye are to compete with Netbooks, it'll need to be in the same area of pricing. If you look at the prices of iPods, and even iMacs, they are not badly priced, when you compare with other similarly specced products. Dell they will never be, but compared to good quality alternatives they are not that bad any more.

I love my Apple products, I really do, but I disagree strongly with that sentiment. Buying an Apple product involves paying a premium price. If the Macbook Pro on which I type was a regular PC it would have cost c£500-£600. Being Apple flavoured means it is £900.

To quote the god Steve Jobs...

"What we want to do is deliver an increasing level of value to these customers, but there are some customers which we choose not to serve. We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk; our DNA will not let us do that. We've seen great success by focusing on certain segments of the market and not trying to be everything to everybody, and you can expect us to stick with that winning strategy"

There is no way on earth Apple will be pitching their tablet into the marketplace at a netbook pricepoint. Bet you a pound.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here