Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow! Will we get any?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just asking, anyone?

I've put money on snow in Newcastle, Cambridge, London and Norwich....

So, thoughts on a white xmas?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
what sort of odds are they offering ? seems warmer than average atm is there a cold snap on the horizon ? i would ask the club but they are busy with what sort of tree should i buy atm.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a suspicion it might be cold & white.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
what sort of odds are they offering ? seems warmer than average atm is there a cold snap on the horizon ? i would ask the club but they are busy with what sort of tree should i buy atm.

I got 8/1 for London, Norwich and Cambridge and 6/1 for Newcastle with William Hill...

Having just seen the GFS output (12z) up to 23rd, I'd say the odds will drop quickly soon :thumbsup:

(not that a 15 day model forecast is to be trusted)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa Laz speaks and the weather listens. I'm piling in.

Sorry to hear about your job situation by the way PL.

I would never recommend 'piling in' based upon the long range forecasts, but things are looking encouraging.

I've got a job lined up now... starting Jan 4th :thumbsup:

I thought it was ONLY OFFICIALLY a white christmas (ie one that the bookies would pay out against) if a flake of snow was recorded falling on the Met Office roof.

Which given that they have moved from Bracknell to Exeter is EVEN less likely

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?

Snow at Christmas is deep-seated in British culture, and many of us long for the likes of the scenes depicted on traditional Christmas cards and in works like Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' or 'Pickwick Papers'.

The interest in snowy Christmases has its origins in the colder climate of the period 1550-1850 when Britain was in the grip of a 'Little Ice Age'. Winters were particularly persistent and severe — 1813/14 was the last winter that a 'frost fair' was held on the River Thames in London.

For most parts of the UK, Christmas comes at the beginning of the season for snow. Wintry weather is more likely early in the deepening cold of January. White Christmases were more frequent in the 18th and 19th centuries, even more so before the change of calendar in 1752 which effectively brought Christmas day back by 12 days.

What is a white Christmas?For many a white Christmas means a complete covering of snow, ideally falling on the 25th.

However, the definition of an official white Christmas used most widely, notably by those placing and taking bets, is for a single snow flake (perhaps amongst a shower of rain and snow mixed) to be observed falling in the 24 hours of 25 December.

The last official white Christmas was in 2004, when snow was widespread across Northen Ireland, Scotland, parts of Wales, the Midlands, north-east and far south-west England.

Check the UK observations to see if it has snowed anywhere in your area.

Please note that these observations will not be used for confirming a white Christmas for betting purposes.

Official white Christmas sites
This year we are working with interested parties on obtaining confirmation from the following official White Christmas sites:

London, Buckingham Palace
Liverpool, Albert Dock
Aberdeen, Aberdeen FC grounds :dunce:
Glasgow Cathedral
Edinburgh Castle
Exeter, Met Office
Manchester, Granada Studios
Birmingham, Bullring
Cardiff, Millennium Stadium
Belfast, Aldergrove Airport
Leeds, Elland Road :nono:
Will it snow in your region?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The last really white Christmas I remember in Brighton was 1962 - it seems to rain a lot though.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There is method to my madness. The forecast models are looking encouraging, and i've gone for east coast locations, as they have the best chance of catching snow on either an easterly or northerly airflow (although a little easterly is certainly helpful in a 'northerly').

I'd be unlikely to bet on snow here though, as the synoptics needed are very difficult to get (as we've discussed before).

Yoda

English & European
The build up to Christmas is looking to be a very cold one from the latest GFS charts. Both time's I've looked today (two different runs) have said the same thing. Will be interesting to see if the next one says the same.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
well the gfs output (12z) is good enough for me ile have a wee flutter on norwich at 8s

The ECM 12z output is pretty good as well (very cold, if not lots of snow). The GFS 18z run is on its way now....

The winter (snow loving) rollerocoaster is on its way!

Papa

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The build up to Christmas is looking to be a very cold one from the latest GFS charts. Both time's I've looked today (two different runs) have said the same thing. Will be interesting to see if the next one says the same.

Indeed. I really only watch the models in the winter (snow) and I've been watching the wobbles in the model output for a few days now.... the trick of course with the Xmas bets is to get in just before the Met Office start to mention cold weather in their extended forecasts (even if it's well before Xmas) as that usually causes a lot of bets, and the odds fall.

I'd guess that if the models keep with the cold theme then the odds will drop quickly.

One thing that surprised me was that it was the same odds for London (Buckingham Palace) as it was for Norwich, which surely has a much better chance of snow.

Papa

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are William Hill even offering a WC market right now?

From the odds that are still available it looks as though the price has 'tumbled' already.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

From the odds that are still available it looks as though the price has 'tumbled' already.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Hope you are not looking to spunk all the Amazon money from NSC's funds on a WC ???

:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here