Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion v Charlton Athletic “OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD”

Brighton head into this game after a win against Blue square premier Rushden and diamonds at the weekend in the FA Cup and that win will not have exactly restored fans faith as 2 goals were conceded and to add to that Brighton have conceded 9 in three games.

Charlton have had a weekend off to ponder and prod with the laws of physics on how to score a goal against are defence. They came up with the equation:

Goal = Jock between posts x hopeless hoofing bearded man. And that took 36 seconds.

On a more serious note Charlton haven’t won away since late august when they beat Tranmere 4-0 so a trip to Withdean may pose more problems than first thought.

Kuipers is a doubt while the donkey remains out due to that nose related Achillies problem. Apart from that Brighton have a full strength squad to pick from with Murray back from suspension and Mcnulty back in full training.

Charlton will be able to call on fit-again goalkeeper Rob Elliot (groin). Right-back Frazer Richardson has been struggling with a hamstring strain and misses out while injured defender Kelly Youga will have a late fitness test.

The last competitive meeting came in the 1991/92 campaign, Charlton winning 2-1 in an (old) Division Two clash at the Goldstone Ground through goals from Paul Gorman and Robert Lee.

Earlier that season, a goal after just 54 seconds from Garry Nelson and 21st-minute strike by Colin Walsh earned Charlton a 2-0 win at Upton Park.The first encounter between the two teams came in Division Three (South) in October 1921, Henry Wilson scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win for Charlton at The Valley.

Overall, Brighton have won 20 games to Charlton's 19, with eight draws.
Possible line ups:

Brighton: Smith (Kuipers); Hoyte, Virgo, Elphick, El-Abd; Bennett, Crofts, Dicker, McLeod; Forster, Murray.
Charlton: Ikeme, Youga, Llera, Semedo, Basey, Dailly, Bailey, Shelvey, Sam, Burton, Mooney

Smith watch: He duly delivered on Saturday, conceding two more to make it 28 goals now let in, in 8 games. If we now go and lose without scoring by three or more he will have let in more goals than we have scored this season in 24 games than in his 9!

My Crystal ball gazing:
Ø Brighton to concede at any point (They have stopped taking bets)
Ø Brighton to score first
Ø Hoyte to score
Ø D.Mooney to score
Ø Brighton win
Ø withdean wanderer to moan whatever the outcome (again stopped taking bets)

We may as well just give up now and resign to the fact we have more chance of a blind team chasing a ball with a bell in it winning than the current crop have but we mustn’t forget, we are the Albion and the Mighty “Gus Bus” will pull away from the ailing A-Dicks. Up The Albionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
think I can remember going to this fixture when they were playing home games at Smellworst park. how many times did that happen? think we stood on the homlesdale end...

have we really not played them since 91/92?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
think I can remember going to this fixture when they were playing home games at Smellworst park. how many times did that happen? think we stood on the homlesdale end...

have we really not played them since 91/92?

Not in a competitive match.

We played them in pre-season 2008 in a friendly at Withdean. Lost 1-0

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Does anyone recall a high scoring draw at the Valley, probably around the Ward era, It was midweek and either 3-3 or 4-4?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone recall a high scoring draw at the Valley, probably around the Ward era, It was midweek and either 3-3 or 4-4?
No but I do remember Gary O'Reilly putting us in front at the Valley after just 46 seconds and Albion somehow clinging on for the rest of the game while Charlton battered us.

Just over 7,000 for that game, one of Charlton's biggest of the season - we had about 2,000 behind the goal.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Trying to get down from Leeds in time for the game. Shuddered to a halt north of Peterborough. Either overhead wire problems or we just bumped over Barry Fry. Earliest I can now get to Preston Park is 1940 so if you find a frozen middle aged body on Snaky Lane after the game its me having had a heart attack running to the game.

Give Gus a clap from me.

PG

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Trying to get down from Leeds in time for the game. Shuddered to a halt north of Peterborough. Either overhead wire problems or we just bumped over Barry Fry. Earliest I can now get to Preston Park is 1940 so if you find a frozen middle aged body on Snaky Lane after the game its me having had a heart attack running to the game.

Give Gus a clap from me.

PG

Good Luck PG. Hope you make it OK.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
No but I do remember Gary O'Reilly putting us in front at the Valley after just 46 seconds and Albion somehow clinging on for the rest of the game while Charlton battered us.

Just over 7,000 for that game, one of Charlton's biggest of the season - we had about 2,000 behind the goal.

Was that a NYDay game Simster? Damn cold if I remember right.

I remember the Garry Nelson goal as if it were yesterday. Scored right in front of us, the traitor.

PG

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
After the week we've had over here, Dubai could do with some good news.

Come on the Albion!

:albion1:
:albion2:
:albion2:

Give Gus a clap from me.

PG

Good luck in getting here on time, hope you make the "Football"

highway61

Jun 30, 2009

Realise now it was neither. was 4-3 to charlton 04/10/77
also recall the 4-1 albion win at Valley 12/1/74

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Tommy Elphick's 100th Albion appearance tonight ...... if he plays of course (team will be announced ina around 20 mins)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here