Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Ultra-Important for Falmer - read and act NOW ***

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ultra-Important for Falmer - read and act NOW

Brighton & Hove Albion Chairman Dick Knight is calling on football fans everywhere to write to John Prescott to express their dismay at the report produced by the Local Plan Inspector on the City of Brighton & Hove's new Local Plan.

The report recommends that the council do not allocate a site at Falmer for a new stadium, and completely ignores local issues and the Albion's urgent need for a new home and proposes another site - which is completely unsuitable - and one where there will be even more opposition.

Knight said, "I call on all football fans to write to the Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott urgently. It would be totally unfair for this club, this city and this community to be denied their right to a modern stadium because compelling facts have been casually dismissed."

To help you do this, we have set out below some of the key points to make:

- The report does not recognise the very real difficulties of finding a suitable site in the Brighton & Hove area

- It does not reflect the overwhelming public support for the stadium project at Falmer and the detailed consultation process that took place prior to selecting the site

The planning application clearly demonstrated:

- the club's need for a new stadium

- It provided evidence of the national importance of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club

- It set out the huge number of jobs and opportunities for education and skills training that would be provided by the development

- It included an innovative sustainable transport scheme

- It demonstrated that the Falmer site had the least impact of any of the very few potential sites for a stadium in the Brighton & Hove area

None of these points were taken into account in the Inspector's recommendations - and letter writers should ask Mr Prescott to take these factors into account when he makes his decision.

Letters should be sent directly to:

Mr John Prescott
Deputy Prime Minister
Cabinet Office
Whitehall
London SW1A 2WH

We would urge all football supporters to take the time to write immediately
- time is running out, so don't delay.

Last edited:

Jan 26, 2004
I will most definitely, but unfortunately I don't have much time during the day to write one, so would it be possible for someone to draft up a letter, email it to me, then I can amend it to me etc, and post it.

I know its lazy, but I get kept very busy during the day, and the only time I have in front of pc is now, and I'm half asleep and would fudge it up!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Asda was fun - this is the real thing.

Post below when your letter is on the way. I'll draught a 'copy and paste' letter shortly for those that need it.

Jan 26, 2004
Can we not have a letter (as per the Falmer for all site) that we can just add our name to etc, as I would love to send one, and I know many who would, but getting people to sit down use the notes above, and write a letter could take time, which people wont give!!

This is NOT Prescott's decision on the Stadium Planning Application.

It is the Report of the Inspector appointed to conduct the Public Inquiry into the City Council's Local Plan.

Essentially, the Inspector has rejected the City Council's proposed policy to allocate land at Falmer for a community stadium.

The Local Plan sets the framework for City Council planning decisions. But it does not automatically bind the Deputy Prime Minister in any decision he makes.

The Local Plan decision does, however, bring a new element into the planning process.

What supporters need to do is write to Prescott without delay - making some or all of the points set out in Dick Knight's statement.

Paul Samrah (Chair of the Falmer For All Team) is - at this minute - trying to find out what is the best e-mail address to use to get our message into the right part of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

What I said earlier (on another thread) about not pestering the ODPM is now cancelled.

But Albion fans will be most effective if we are well organised. There is no point in phoning the ODPM switchboard (which was the number that was posted earlier). Get writing!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I just spoke to Paul Samrah. This is very, very bad news indeed: the local planning inspector is on another planet. He said apparently that we are a 'provincial' club with no need for a modern stadium, that if we want to move we should move to Brighton Station (after waiting to see if current applications on the site are turned down) or Sheepcote Valley (unbelievable - this will probably be in the national park, surely he must know this??!) After all the campaigns it's come to this. We have to convince Prescott to go against that decision and support the stadium.
We need to bombard the Deputy Prime Minister's office with emails and letters.
Here's one email address which Paul just gave me:
planning.policies@odpm.gsi.gov.uk
but I suspect that by the morning the club will have pinpointed exactly where
our messages need to be sent.
Still no harm in sending a few there now...

Gutted.
BUT BRIGHTON TIL I DIE
Attila

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Sorry, is this in addition to our previous letters to John Prescott apropos the Public enquiry ?

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
scotjem said:
Sorry, is this in addition to our previous letters to John Prescott apropos the Public enquiry ?

Yes, yes, yes.

Write NOW and write on behalf of everyone you know.

A couple of quid on stamps could make all the difference.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
e-mail sent to above addy that Atilla just gave, currently printing out letters for my entire family. I get free postage at work so thats not a problem...oh and work collegues so thats at least 20 seperate letters by 10am tomorrow

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ken Bodfish has written. Have you?

Dear Deputy Prime Minister

Re: Brighton & Hove Local Plan

Your department will by now have received a copy of the Inspector's report on the Brighton & Hove Local Plan. There are two issues which cause me great concern and will be extraordinarily controversial within the city. These relate to the provision of affordable housing and the Community Stadium for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.

The Football Club's proposals for a Community Stadium at Falmer have received massive local support in a referendum which the council organised alongside the local elections in 1999. In addition our Local Plan itself has won Planning Awards and endorsement by an Independent sustainability Auditor for its innovative use of public consultation. The Inspector openly disregards all of this in frankly disparaging terms. He also calls our arguments around local housing shortages and high rents 'gratuitous'. This does not seem to me the appropriate objectivity which should be brought to such important issues. The Inspector's lack of understanding of such local significance is further illustrated by his view that the 'least objectionable' site for a stadium would be Sheepcote Valley - which currently is unable to even support children's playing fields due to problems with the pitches having been built on an old landfill site.

In recognition of the acute housing shortage in Brighton & Hove we have been operating a policy of 40% of units in any new housing development being affordable. The Inspector says that this is too high and that in his view 'it would lead to a slowing down of the pace of house building'. I have to say that there is not one shred of evidence for this view and we have been applying this policy since the Plan first went on deposit in 2000.

Brighton & Hove's planning policies are being developed in the spirit of sustainable communities and the new urban agenda. It is my firm belief that the Inspector is looking to the approach taken in the past and is being blinded to the realities of Brighton & Hove.

I have no doubt whatsoever that your office will be bombarded with letters from fans. Feeling locally is bound to run very high. I would urge you to look very critically at these two conclusions in the Inspectors report and if you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Ken Bodfish, OBE
Leader, Brighton & Hove City Council

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
bollocks, I'll get writing now

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Have sent an email and will print some letters for the family tomorrow.

Nothing is ever bloody easy is it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just despair, I really do.
I'm going to do my own letter tomorrow morning at work, spread it round my colleagues, get them to sign it, and send off as many as I can. I feel like crying now though. I was so confident that it was a robust application. I've been convinced for the best part of a year that it would be granted. After being present at the Enquiry and seeing each and every argument against this stadium systematically dismantled and dismissed in such a convincing and professional manner, I am rocked to the core now at the Inspectors verdict.

I'll do all I can, but with a heavy heart. Sitting here gutted beyond belief. Its like someones died.

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
Letter written stamped and in the post box - everyone must act now. With Bodfish so quickly on the case and Albion fans mobilised then all is not lost, but this time there are no excuses for not taking action.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Is there a title/planning number we need to include in the subject field to make sure they know what we're writing about up-front?

I'm shaking as I write this - I can't believe what's happening......

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I just despair, I really do.

I'll do all I can, but with a heavy heart. Sitting here gutted beyond belief. Its like someones died.

I know exactly how you feel because I'm sitting here totally gutted, weary and angry.

It does feel as though somebody close has died and if we don't get active VERY quickly our Football Club will die.

How can places like Darlington, Oxford, Bolton, Stoke, Middlesborough, Sunderland and other cities grant planning permission for new stadia without missing a heartbeat yet we get f***ed over and over again?

Let's get mobile people-and QUICKLY!

But do your letters first

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Act Now To Save Our Club!

Write or email:

Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
26 Whitehall
London SW1A 2WH

planning.general@odpm.gsi.gov.uk

Believe me when I say, it's Falmer or bust. The Club will simply fold without Falmer.

So please each and everyone of us, WRITE or Email NOW.

The points are outlined in other posts & on www.seagulls.co.uk

Tell your friends/relatives/neighbours....football fans across the country unite - email any supporters' website you know and give them the info. It is Fans United all over again - this time a letter/email campaign.

Time is very short, it may only be a matter of days before the Stadium Inquiry Report is published.

We may only have less than one week to save our Club. This is 96/97 all over again - believe and trust me.

Together we will win - but we need to act now and fast.

Paul Samrah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here