Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground catering - your memories

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Following on from BoF's Wagon Wheel-based musings...my abiding memory of the food on offer at the Goldstone was the way they used piping hot water to keep the, erm, meat products warm: fine I guess with hotdogs, very much NOT fine with burgers. Isn't that at least actually better at Withdean?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the catering box on the east terrace did coffee so hot it took the skin off the top of your mouth

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I liked the hot chocolate they served in the North. Me and my chums used to burn holes with our fags in the cups and make faces that looked like ex-Forest manager Frank Clark.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
My mate Kingy was in charge of the kiosk at the North West floodlight bit.

He has only ever eaten pot noodles in his life as far as I am aware, he is like one of those kids who pops up in the paper from time to time who have got to six foot in spite of only eating marmite sandwiches. f*** knows why he was involved in 'catering'.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
3p portion of chips on the way home, with lashings of salt and vinegar... as a nipper the crush and smells in the chippie combined with the post-match hubbub was a delirious sensory overload.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
3p portion of chips on the way home, with lashings of salt and vinegar... as a nipper the crush and smells in the chippie combined with the post-match hubbub was a delirious sensory overload.

are you called Titanic because you were on her?

:wink:

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
I remember the kiosk in the North Stand. Never quite knew which end to queue from and there were often grumblings cos people got served out of turn.

Also when the Ole Ole Ole chant was popular in the late 80s you could buy it on record during one of the games from the food kiosk. Or did I imagine that?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
West Stand. Some hot water that could be loosely described as tea, so coffee it is then, in paper cups with no such thing as insulation, and so it was very popular amongst some of the knocker boys with season tickets as it removed your fingerprints.
Hot dogs as the lesser of two evils followed by the afore mentioned Wagon Wheel.
Elbow your way through the crowd of lemmings attempting to join in mass food poisoning. E coli didn't exist in those days.
Before or after you attempted this culinary feast a visit to the breeze block and gutter pissoir in the SW corner was a treat not to miss on a visit to the Goldstone. These toilets made most French bogs seem posh, and smell lovely.
It was ours though and you wouldn't have changed it for any other stadium at the time. Happy Days.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
MMM the burnt dog burgers from the northstand :drool:

Actually the one in the south west corner was by far superior to the others in ground including the one in the west stand.

Also Keith Cuss served up a wicked bag of crisps in the players lounge

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
The best thing i remember about the goldstone was in the 70s and you could buy these massive bags of "Chipmunk" crisps, they were lovely, didnt see them on sale anywhere else but there, and think they stopped doing them in the eighties, remember the rest of the food there being pretty disgusting, save for the odd pie.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
The overpowering stench of the northstand urinals as you were queuing up for a soggy burger. Soon worked out to go to the ground via Tummy Burger instead.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
North Stand Kiosk, late 80's. There was a young girl called Emily who worked in there, 17 or 18 years old, dark long hair and very 'elfin' like. Used to spend most of the second half there usually, wanting something to eat (so to speak), whatever happened to her?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here