Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slade 'Gutted'

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Interesting quote about 'the majority of the staff being behind him'...

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Slade: I am gutted to get the sack From The Argus)

Decent bloke. Whatever your thoughts his heart is obviously in the right place. He's been let down massively by the players. Hope they feel suitably shit this morning.

shame real shame he had the making of a good team
i dont think it was so much the players he brought
but the ones already here
i would have like to have seen him given more time
and some money for a central defender

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Not surprised - its probably all been said elsewhere but for what its worth I agree. He should have been given more time - 2 years to Falmer and we give him 15 games after he saved us from oblivion !! How will we attract a manager with any sense of allegiance to the cause if the board sack the boss when the team pull out of the relegation zone and play really attractive attacking football. The defenders at the club need to examine their consciences this morning - they were woeful on Saturday .

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I am gutted for him too. I'd have liked Slade to have more time to stamp out the defensive issues. McGhee/Wilkins and now Slade were let go too early in my view, but Adams should never have been appointed, but hey, what do i know!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
The team have let Slade down indeed. The defence need to take a long hard look at the selves, and at why they are at the club. Several weeks now from the stands i've questioned teh passion of our players and I hope whoever comes in, they can get the boys proud to wear the Stripes.

Good luck Russ, you deserve a good run :bowdown:

Russ has every right to feel gutted and we may have lost out on a very good manager for the future.

Saturday was a classic example of what he was trying to build - free flowing attacking football - that should have comfortably ended with a 5-0 win. As it was we scored 3 against a team with 8 defensive shut outs this season.

So what did he do wrong - well not alot in my opinion. Yes I think he made a mistake dropping Virgo for Elphick but you cannot be there to head in a glorious opportunity from 6 yards out or actually put your foot through when in front of goal instead of 'tapping it'. Defensively 10 year olds are taught to get tight to their man but if you as an individual decide to give your player all the time in the world to turn and shoot - what can the manager do?

Russ gave us more entertaining football at Witheres this season than in the whole of last year and he was building a good squad and trying to do the right thing.

It is the players who carry most of the burden for letting him and us down and I wish Russ all the very best for the future :clap::clap::clap:

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
I am gutted for him too. I'd have liked Slade to have more time to stamp out the defensive issues. McGhee/Wilkins and now Slade were let go too early in my view, but Adams should never have been appointed, but hey, what do i know!

we took too long to sack Adams and were too quick to sack Slade. Board out !!!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'm not surprised he's gutted, and I don't blame him. He comes here and drags us out of the relegation places to save us from the drop. The board give him a contract which says that he's the man to lead us to Falmer, then 15 games later he's not even the man to take us through November. Some memories are just too short. All the time we have a revolving manager's door we are going to struggle.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Russ has every right to feel gutted and we may have lost out on a very good manager for the future.

Saturday was a classic example of what he was trying to build - free flowing attacking football - that should have comfortably ended with a 5-0 win. As it was we scored 3 against a team with 8 defensive shut outs this season.

So what did he do wrong - well not alot in my opinion. Yes I think he made a mistake dropping Virgo for Elphick but you cannot be there to head in a glorious opportunity from 6 yards out or actually put your foot through when in front of goal instead of 'tapping it'. Defensively 10 year olds are taught to get tight to their man but if you as an individual decide to give your player all the time in the world to turn and shoot - what can the manager do?

Russ gave us more entertaining football at Witheres this season than in the whole of last year and he was building a good squad and trying to do the right thing.

It is the players who carry most of the burden for letting him and us down and I wish Russ all the very best for the future :clap::clap::clap:

Corking post, in my humble opinion. :thumbsup:

Regardless of who takes over next, a good number of the present squad are in for a very rude awakening. I don't think it takes a football genius to work out who the prime suspects are. Piss-poor show.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Corking post, in my humble opinion. :thumbsup:

Regardless of who takes over next, a good number of the present squad are in for a very rude awakening. I don't think it takes a football genius to work out who the prime suspects are. Piss-poor show.

great post indeed

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Here you go Al:-

Slade: I am gutted to get the sack

By Andy Naylor

RUSSELL Slade is “absolutely gutted” to no longer be Albion’s manager.

He believes he deserved more time and thinks his successor will have “a marvellous opportunity” to take the club forward.

Slade’s fate was sealed by Albion's latest failure to win at home against Hartlepool.

Chairman Tony Bloom called an emergency Board meeting after Saturday's game and, following an hour-long discussion, it was agreed unanimously that Slade should be sacked.

He received a phone call from the chairman on Saturday night and they met yesterday morning, when his departure was confirmed just five months into a two-year contract.

Bloom and managing director Ken Brown then met Slade’s assistant Dean White and coach Bob Booker to tell them they were going too.

The triple sacking was announced by the club in a statement yesterday afternoon.

Slade said: “I think in football it’s all about time. You have to ask whether 15 games is enough.

“I just felt as if I was part way through a process which wasn’t finished and which, despite the league position, was going in the right direction.

“I’m absolutely gutted. The chairman has been very supportive. I cannot knock the chairman in supporting me in trying to build a team.

“The thing is my mindset was not setting out to build a team just for now. That is why I signed the likes of Bennett, whose 20, Tunnicliffe whose 20, and even Dickinson, whose only 23 and still learning the game.

“I was building not for the short-term but more for the long term.”

Slade earned a permanent crack at the job by rescuing Albion from relegation last season after succeeding Micky Adams.

His brief was to take Albion into the Championship within two seasons, ready for the move to Falmer.

His revamped squad have managed only three wins in 15 games and he leaves them just above the League One relegation zone.

Where has it gone wrong? “I think that is quite clear really,” he said. “In both boxes we haven’t done well, particularly defensively.

“Tight games have got away from us because we have not defended well enough. At some stage you have to ask whether defensively the team is good enough.

“I think I have done a lot of the dirty work. We lost 17 or 18 players in the summer. It won’t be anything like that next summer.

“Changes still need to be made on an ongoing basis and, with two or three more players, it could be a different ball game.

“I think they will have a great chance, it’s a marvellous opportunity for somebody now.”

Slade remained popular with a lot of supporters right to the end.

There were boos at half-time against Hartlepool and at the final whistle after Albion lost at home to Oldham the week before but the flak in both instances was aimed more at other members of his staff and the players than him.

“I want to thank the fans,” he said. “They have been terrific from day one. In defeat as well they have been right behind me and I will always have fond memories of what they have done.”

Tellingly, he added: “The majority of the staff have also been right behind me.

“It’s time to draw breath but I love the game. It won’t discourage me from getting another job. I still believe I have a lot to offer.

“It’s never easy when you move on. I really believed there was a chance of doing something here. Of course things are not right yet and there are loads of things to do but at least I knew that and I can pinpoint exactly what is required.

“From that point of view it is quite satisfying. It gives somebody a wonderful chance.”

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Top bloke, that sums up exactly what he's like for me.

I think the players (mainly the defenders), let him down in a big way.

I'm very intrigued to see if the new management/coaching staff will be able to take these players to another level.. I hope they can

Feb 2, 2007
Japan

Erm, what sport are we talking about here? Don't you mean clean sheets Christ, we will be bringing in horrible baseball terms like double plays and complete games before you know it. Those Yanks have a got a lot to answer for:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here