Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What evere happend to the Brighton B52's???

seajon

Banned
Oct 17, 2008
Just curious... I was watching the NFL the other night and thought about the time I saw the B52's playing at the withdean many years ago.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just curious... I was watching the NFL the other night and thought about the time I saw the B52's playing at the withdean many years ago.

If memory serves they died of shame after a total mullering by SF 49'ers youth team. Went to that game. It was hilarious. B52's kicked off or whatever, 49ers boy caught it and ran the entire length of the pitch for a touch down. And so it continued. Scorekeeper stopped scoring when score reached 102-0 (with about ten minutes or something still to play). Think most of the players resigned and took up baseball after that :lol:

Oct 25, 2003
it's a shame that with the fairly large popularity of 'footbawwww' in this country there isn't a decent level for people to actually go to

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I thought the b52's folded after winning the championship, due to ack of funding? merging with another team seems rather bogus..

i worjed with Jim Jasicki who was a player and then coach- a good bloke. another workmate, Jon Cater, also got into the game, and some of the injuries he came into work with were just NASTY!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If memory serves they died of shame after a total mullering by SF 49'ers youth team. Went to that game. It was hilarious. B52's kicked off or whatever, 49ers boy caught it and ran the entire length of the pitch for a touch down. And so it continued. Scorekeeper stopped scoring when score reached 102-0 (with about ten minutes or something still to play). Think most of the players resigned and took up baseball after that :lol:

I was there with the now Mrs Hut, one of our first dates. If memory serves me correct two of the SF49ers youth team were up on a rape charge a day later.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Was also at that game at Withdean - only a spotty teen. Seem to recall the biggest attendance at the stadium though, was it 11 or 13 thousand?

I still can't believe how one-sided the game was.

Used to watch a bit of grid-iron on the telly-box in the early 80's (LA Raiders were my faves for no particular reason), but it still pales into insignificance in comparison to good old football. :ascarf:

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Whatever happened to the Brighton Bears!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I went once to see the B52s play the Crawley team (Raiders ?) as someone who drank in the same pub as me played as QB for Crawley.
Unfortunately the game was rubbish as neither side really seemed to know the rules and there were so many flags thrown on to the pitch that it made an already staccato game even worse.
All I remember about Withdean was it was rather decrepit and I have a memory of sitting in a tallish stand but . . . it was a long time ago

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
They were never the same after Love Shack

:tumble:

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
The first British team in the States
Brighton B52s 10 day tour of San Francisco - October 1986

The article below is an account of the Brighton B-52s historic trip to California in October 1986 to compete in the second Budweiser Transatlantic Bowl. Their opponents were the San Francisco City College Rams, and the game was played at the San Francisco 49ners legendary home, Candlestick Park.

On Monday 6th October 1986, they took on the Rams, and although they may have lost the game 77-6 (they lost the first one at Brighton's Withdean Stadium 76-0 in December 1985), most of the British players said it was the highlight of their careers.

Attachments

• brightonb52svsanfranciscocollegest4.jpg
    brightonb52svsanfranciscocollegest4.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 893

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
ok, if we're pulling out the oldies.. howe about the Brighton Tigers (or Bengals?) ice hockey team?

My old best friend's dad used to play for them.

The same chap that picked up a stray Pompey fan and handed him over to the police. This Pompey fan was in the North Stand for that 1-0 cup win in '92. A Brighton fan elbowed me on the nose, taking a swing at this fiend.

I was at that B52s game. Pissed it down. Utter rubbish. My folks took me home before the first quarter was OUT.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im still in touch with the guy who was CCSF Rams ball boy from that Withdean game as I spent a few days watching them training at Withdean and became good friends with him. As a young player at the time with the B52s Jnrs, it was amazing having a training session run by the CCSF Rams for us, and also being around real American 'college' players. My mates dad was the Rams HC and only retired from the team 2 seasons ago as one of the most winningest Coaches in football history at any Collegiate level. Now enjoying his free time, but never far from football as his best friend is Pete Carroll, the Seattle Seahawks HC. My mates brother later went through CCSF before going to Tennessee U - then got drafted by the NY Giants and played in the Superbowl, beating the Patriots and picking off Tom Brady to seal the game!
Damn glad they did come over & give the B52s a shellacking tbh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here