Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Thornton, what a waste of talent.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
On 2 July 2009, Thornton left Coventry City by mutual consent. Both the club and player refused to comment on this, but it is believed to be down to his court appearance the previous month. He had been found guilty of failing to stop at the scene of an accident, driving with excess alcohol and without insurance or a full licence. For his crimes he was banned from driving for 22 months, fined £2,750 and ordered to pay £260 in costs and compensation. Two years earlier he had been convicted for criminal damage to a taxi after a night out in 2007. Then manager Iain Dowie having only discovered of this after it was reported in the Coventry Telegraph.

In July 2009, Thornton was taken on by his former manager Micky Adams, for a trial at League Two side Port Vale. He played his first game against Stafford Rangers on 25 July, topping off an impressive performance with the only goal of the game. However, Adams said ""I am running a football club, not a fat club." and told him he would need to get his fitness back if he wanted a contract. Thornton had previously described his relationship Adams as "lively", saying "We were best mates at times and other times we wouldn't speak to each other!". Adams ended his interest the next month due to his concerns over Thornton's fitness.

On September 1st 2009 Thornton re-signed with his former school boy club Boyne Rovers FC. Boyne Rovers senior side operate in the 5th Tier of Irish amateur soccer.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That's a shame, as he looked to have a bag full of talent. Unfortunately it takes a lot of mental strength and dedication to make it, which he clearly doesn't have.

File away in the George O'Callaghan / Leon Knight drawer.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Leon Knight and Kevin Thornton - two of the best players I've seen at the Albion who have just made a mess of a career that could have been so much better.

What a waste.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unbelievable. He gave one of the best performances I've ever seen in an Albion shirt against Cheltenham last season. Very, very talented guy. Big shame.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Blimey! That is a shock to read, but just goes to show that burning bridges is not a great idea in any walk of life. He has obviously got a name for himself as being a bit of a NOB and no one wants him.

Even so, I'm really shocked he is playing at the level that he is.

jaylondon22

Jan 5, 2009
What a talented footballer but has problems staying out of the pub...Mickey Adams gave him a lifeline at Port Vale and he threw it away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably more trouble than he's worth over the course of a season. He could certainly tuck his beer away.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I've got an idea for the regular article in Saturday's edition of The Argus.

An Albion Waste of Talent XI

Leon Knight would obviously be the first inked in on the teamsheet.
Thornton now to join him

who else?
Dan Harding? never quite hit the heights he thought he would.
Michael Standing? can we claim him?
Henderson? a great keeper who had to get away to get regular first team football (ahem)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Seeing as how the guys career will be over (usually) by the time he's 30, you'd think he could stay off the ale for a few short years then drink himself to death once he has achieved all he could in his sport.

You could say the same for a lot of footballers I suppose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I always thought he looked rather average. :shrug:

You're joking, surely ?

In this league he always looked well above the average to me, and that was when he wasn't even match fit !

A quality player gone to waste. Shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here