Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'One Step From Division One' - Football Handbook, 1979

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As a follow up to the Brighton v Arsenal match report of 1979 that was posted on NSC recently.....

Just found an interesting article from Marshall Cavendish's masterful 'Football Handbook' series of the late 1970s. It focuses on an away game at Luton in April 1979 (the last away game before the Newcastle match) with Paul Clark having tomato ketchup poured over him by a Hatters fan.

Anyway, I hope it's of interest.....
Did anyone here make the journey? I didn't as I was 1 year and 1 day old!

P.S. If anyone has any of those lovely green Football Handbook binders that they don't need, please let me know. Just acquired all 63 issues of said publication!

Attachments

• lutonp1.jpg
    lutonp1.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 112
  • lutonp2.jpg
    lutonp2.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 135

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Luton games were always 'tasty', they had been our main rivals in the late 60's early 70's.

Loads of Albion were there and loads of trouble around the town. There was no love lost on the pitch either. Paul Clark had broken the leg of lil Fuchillo, a luton star, at an earlier Goldstone match so the locals had it in for him, something the tank would relish!

We never did well at Luton and they ran the game. We were somewhat luycky to have kept it to 1-0 until fairly close to the end when teddy maybank scored a rare goal to give us a 1-1 draw.

An emotional day and a difficult hurdle. That team had strong characters who kept at it even when the going was tough. We expected them to do well, they expected to do well and they rarely failed to deliver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here