Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

are there any decent letting agents in Brighton and Hove then?

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I can't believe the fees they charge. It's a joke. grr!

Are there any good ones? who won't rip you off and try and get you to rent a complete toilet for stupid money. I hate living in Brighton some times.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no. why would B&H be different to the rest of the world?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No, most professions that incorporate the word "agent" in their title are (unts. Any agent is pointless in his/her existence, pointless profession designed wholly to put themselves between the vendor and the customer in order to con money out of both parties. Soulless, ball-less, spineless, sexless, bunch of motherfuckers every f***ing last one of them.

And that applies to anyone with the word "broker" in their job title too.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
No, most professions that incorporate the word "agent" in their title are (unts. Any agent is pointless in his/her existence, pointless profession designed wholly to put themselves between the vendor and the customer in order to con money out of both parties. Soulless, ball-less, spineless, sexless, bunch of motherfuckers every f***ing last one of them. They should die.

............but apart from that, you think they,re OK...?

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
No, most professions that incorporate the word "agent" in their title are (unts. Any agent is pointless in his/her existence, pointless profession designed wholly to put themselves between the vendor and the customer in order to con money out of both parties. Soulless, ball-less, spineless, sexless, bunch of motherfuckers every f***ing last one of them. They should die.

Couldn't agree more. So, anyone on here a leech like above and fancy doing a "Friend of the Albion" type favour? You can have your commision if you earn it and tell the truth at least, that would be a start. Maybe tip me off when a decent place actually comes up? anyone?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Gumtree...

We always let our flat on Gumtree, always had great tenants and saved on the fees. Otherwise i'd recommend Carringtons in Hove, James is a pretty good guy.

Just Lets in Hove claim to be Friends of the Albion, but they are (unts. We used them once and they were truly awful. i don't have the minerals to type everything they did wrong, i'm normally a pretty affable bloke but I wouldn't piss on this lot if they were on fire

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As a private landlord I steer well clear of letting agents - they screw both the landlord and the person renting. They also do very little for their money that a landlord coundn't do. I used them first off and strangely the only troublesome tenants I've ever had were those found by letting agents.

If you want to avoid them as a renter then there's plenty of websites landlords use - I use Friday Ad and Gumtree. Always get plenty of replies and have never had an issue with anyone found using them either.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Gumtree...

We always let our flat on Gumtree, always had great tenants and saved on the fees. Otherwise i'd recommend Carringtons in Hove, James is a pretty good guy.

Just Lets in Hove claim to be Friends of the Albion, but they are (unts. We used them once and they were truly awful. i don't have the minerals to type everything they did wrong, i'm normally a pretty affable bloke but I wouldn't piss on this lot if they were on fire

Don't use Leaders then - they make Just Lets look professional !

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Letting Agents = patronising, useless vermin who are cheerfully sanctioned by society to get away with murder.

Thus, I'd conclude that Gumtree (or finding a private landlord) sounds like your best shot at avoiding complete personal misery. Good luck hon. :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
at least 7 pages, especially if someone posts a link to the last time it was discussed.

23 if we bring in Estate Agents and Recruitment Consultants as well !

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
No, most professions that incorporate the word "agent" in their title are (unts. Any agent is pointless in his/her existence, pointless profession designed wholly to put themselves between the vendor and the customer in order to con money out of both parties. Soulless, ball-less, spineless, sexless, bunch of motherfuckers every f***ing last one of them.

Not often I'd agree with Mr Nib but on this occasion he speaketh the truth.

There aren't any good letting agents, end of story. BUT if you have no choice just be sure to avoid Halls, the most crooked, dodgy dealing bunch of pirates I have ever dealt with and, notably, the only agency not affiliated with the standard code of conduct institutes that give at least some credibility to some of these *****

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Your too kind. No really you are. Gee thanks.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

This comes from a Man whose contribution to society is poncing about infront of a clipboard and a load of lovies playing at " acting ". No your right Nibble we really could not live without your invaluable contributions to society we really couldn't.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
I have used Leaders in the past as a tenant, and now as a landlord, and I think they are very good.

What the question should really be is "are there any good LANDLORDS in Brighton and Hove". The letting agent can only take the landlords insturctions, generally.

What Leaders do well is protect your deposit and rent monies. As they are ARLA members all client funds are covered and as such you have the piece of mind that they won't go under or run off with your money.

A lot of agents are run by crooks. They also tend to be the cheapest ones.

Leaders are not cheap, but in life you get what you pay for. I have found them to be reliable, well staffed (a lot of agents do lettings part time and haven't got a clue) and pleasant.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Oh and Leaders are Friends of the Albion.:albion2:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Am I correct in thinking that letting agents are staffed by those who couldn't hack it as an estate agent ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This comes from a Man whose contribution to society is poncing about infront of a clipboard and a load of lovies playing at " acting ". No your right Nibble we really could not live without your invaluable contributions to society we really couldn't.

The whole acting thing is supposed to be about playing though is it not? I agree that on a lot of levels my job does not contibute a great deal to society, however I don't pretend that it does. I do it for a living purely for my own selfish reasons, I love it and enjoy that it is how I make my living.

Lets not forget that films bring a great deal of joy to your life and a great deal of ribbing on here! :wink:

I would struggle to say that letting agents bring any joy to anyone's life. Most stories I hear about them are tales of woe and frustration combined with financial loss, loss of deposits and miles of red tape.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here