Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to Falmer

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I will probably cycle to and from Falmer to Brighton sometimes. When I saw some of the site plans printed in a match programme last year, it wasn`t clear how a cyclist could get from the stadium site to the other side of the A27 where the cycle track is. Is this any clearer yet?

Project Office

Aug 21, 2009
If you are coming long the cycle path to the north of the A27 you will be able to cross via the underpass and then over the new railway bridge. We are also building a new cyclepath than runs to the south of the railway line across the bottom of what is now the Falmer School playing fields.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Unless I`ve misunderstood in some way, this doesnt sound that great - so you`ve got to carry your bike over the existing footbridge? If you take the proposed new lane through Falmer school how do you then get onto the cycle track on the other side of the road? Or are you suggesting that cyclist should cycle along this rather dangerous stretch of dual carriageway? This is less good than the current way of getting to the falmer campus. Currently you can go through the underpass, along the side of the A27 on the pavement and then over the little railbridge and lane along the side of the current stadium site. I suppose this is being demolished. Could you reconsider the design. After all you are supposed to be encouraging people to use alternatives to the car.

Project Office

Aug 21, 2009
You do seem to have completely misunderstood what is being built.

We are building a new 8 metre wide railway bridge that is DDA compliant. You will not have to carry your bike over the small bridge between the two platforms.

I don't understand what you are getting at with the next piece of you question. A brand new 8 metre wide footpath/cyclepath is being built that will join Falmer Railway Station to Moulescoomb to the south of the railway line.

The small rail bridge - Bridge 707 - will stay and be available.

It is alll on the plans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here