Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm interested to know your thoughts on this issue I have

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies in advance for it. being quite wordy

I'm curious to get other people's views on this. I have a dispute with the club/Sportsman bar at Withdean. Leaving aside for one minute your opinions on the pub itself what do you think of their policy of insisting that EVERYONE remove their hats in the pub. I'm aware that there is CCTV at the pub and with home and away fans mingling there is always a chance of trouble. Very slight when you consider there are a couple of hundred Brighton and Wycombe fans genially mingling but it's there. But surely a bit of common sense ought to prevail on this.
A bouncer told*my 7 year old to remove his hat the other week.*My main beef is the attitude of the door staff (so won't comment further on that) but I'm also baffled by this nonsensical rule. I've spoken to the manageress of the pub and she told me that the pub can't be seen to discriminate against certain types of fan. Absolute nonsense in my opinion. The club do this every week. Compare the searches and who gets searched in the different stands each game. In the family stand I*get searched only occasionally, my bag gets checked but my 2 boys always get let in without any further ado. If I go to the South Stand, I expect to get searched every time. I don't see anyone can moan much about this. It's all common sense. Different rules for different situations.
I was also told that the club/pub need to be seen to have a uniform policy for all games. Once again this is just flannel in my opinion. The police certainly don't take that attitude to football games and in the past the club/pub have also barred away fans from the bar. I'd hazard a guess that if we played Palace at Withers then they'd be barred too.
I've also been told that they need to identify faces in case there is trouble. Number one - when was the last time there was trouble at the Sportsman on match day? Number two - when there was trouble when was it necessary to identify the face of a 7 year old?
I know rules is rules but the club/pub make the rules and they seem to slavishly apply them without any discretion at times nor with a common sense attitude. I have my son's safety as my number one priority. I'm not going to put him into a position of peril and getting him to remove his hat adds nothing, in my opinion, to his safety.
Dunno. I know it seems like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and tell me if I am but this lazy, lazy attitude does nothing to empower staff to use their initiative, it makes them look like jobsworths and just seems plainly a huge overkill.
A piece of advice though - don't try and raise any of these points with the door staff.
The best thing about that little incident, though?*The* Wycombe fans (male and female) who were in fancy dress, including large wigs who were not asked to remove them. The reason - because they're wigs, not hats. You really couldn't make it up.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
True gents should always follow the rules;

Remove your hat indoors

This rule seems to have gone out the window these days. You should remove your headwear upon entering a building. Furthermore, never keep your hat on while at the dinner table. It reflects very poor etiquette.

Bar that modern stewarding is partly designed to wind us up and give unimportant peoples inflated egos.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
True gents should always follow the rules;

Remove your hat indoors

This rule seems to have gone out the window these days. You should remove your headwear upon entering a building. Furthermore, never keep your hat on while at the dinner table. It reflects very poor etiquette.

Bar that modern stewarding is partly designed to wind us up and give unimportant peoples inflated egos.

Is the right answer.

Plus the bouncers can say how they avoided a 7 year old causing MAYHEM in the pub.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Joking aside, the rules are bollocks and would only ever be pertinent if the hat in question for something which obscured the face, like a basbeball cap. Or Australian cork hat. Or a Sussex cricket hat. Or a wig.

For instance, I only ever wear a wool ski hat in winter, and it obscures none of my face.

However, there are better things in life than trying to debate the finer points of logic and common sense with a Cro-Magnon throwback, so no you're not making a mountain out of a molehill - but that doesn't mean the rules aren't dumb. Because they are. And so is the application of them.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Take him along in a big Orange Wig like those Wycombe fans Lee.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
You should remove your headwear upon entering a building. Furthermore, never keep your hat on while at the dinner table.

How would you get to the dinner table with your hat on, if you remove it on moving indoors?

Or does the second rule cover al fresco formal dining only?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
My 62 year old dad got refused alcohol at Tescos at 11 oclock on a Saturday morning about 6 months ago... because I was with him.. and had no id.

The world is a strange place my friend.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My wife was asked to remove her hat in Chapmans bar in Worthing a little while back. The rule of thumb is, best not to go in those sort of bars. Absolutely pointless arguing with those sort of doormen or those sort of establishments.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its quite clearly a twattish rule, being enforced by twats.
The answer, of course, is to steer well clear of that junk excuse for a pub.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
The stewards are not allowed to search anyone who is 16 or under. They have confirmed this. To due with protecting children and such. Shows how ridiculously PC our country is getting..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here